So i just got a speeding ticket

Never have been to court or received a speeding ticket, what am i suppose to be expecting?

I did 80 in a 55mph, he also gave me a ticket for obstruction of the rearview mirror(Had my college's parking permit)which is also non payable, asked him why and he said he could also charge me for reckless driving :smh:

my friend says im looking at 4 points and possibly a suspended license, this was in NJ

Can anyone please help me out, any lawyers,attorneys/etc, what should i say in court, should i hire a defense attorney?

is there a payment plan, i was told it would be 400-600$

help me out NT

Last edited:
Plead not guilty on the ticket and mail it in... They should set a traffic court date for you where you'd go and be heard in front of a judge and an ADA who will likely plead your case down to some sort of lesser offense (preferably a non moving violation).  

For your first ticket they should let you off with paying a fine, they don't want to waste their time taking you to trial over it.

You won't get your license suspended. You got a ticket for having your college parking sticker on your back window? What

Never have been to court or received a speeding ticket, what am i suppose to be expecting?

I did 80 in a 55mph, he also gave me a ticket for obstruction of the rearview mirror(Had my college's parking permit)which is also non payable, asked him why and he said he could also charge me for reckless driving :smh:

my friend says im looking at 4 points and possibly a suspended license, this was in NJ

Can anyone please help me out, any lawyers,attorneys/etc, what should i say in court, should i hire a defense attorney?

is there a payment plan, i was told it would be 400-600$

help me out NT
+++

View media item 1209920
I only can speak from experience in Georgia, but if you don't have the money to pay the fine/ticket you can be put on probation and pay it off in installments, gonna come out paying more in the end though

In California the judge lowered my fine as long as I went to traffic school. Also you can pay in installments.

Plead not guilty. Ask for court date to be postponed. Hope officer doesn't show up to later court date. In that order. If all fails, at least you'll be saving money on gas...

Pay the fine and take traffic school so rhe points don't reflect on your driving record, it'll keep your insurance from raising in price.

You wont get your licesne suspended, period.

It took me about 4 speeding tickets for my licesne to get suspended. Had my license revoked when I reached 20 points.

Go to court, look sorry and the judge will do some sort of deal for you.

Jersey is THEEEEE worst when it comes to getting ticketed. Those state troopers on the Tpke :smh: Which is part of the reason why I don't **** with that section of 95 anymore when going to Queens.

Plead not guilty on the ticket and mail it in... They should set a traffic court date for you where you'd go and be heard in front of a judge and an ADA who will likely plead your case down to some sort of lesser offense (preferably a non moving violation).  

For your first ticket they should let you off with paying a fine, they don't want to waste their time taking you to trial over it.

yes this is or was my first ticket ever, in any sort of manner, ive never been pulled over, no lie, i was legit nervous, had my hands on the wheel, license+registration on the right hand, keys on the other

not about that life

my court date is 10/16/14 at 9am, whats an ADA? and i was told a non-moving violation only decreases it by 2points, is that true?

are you sure they'll only let me off witha fine?

also what should i say to the judge?

thanks man

It took me about 4 speeding tickets for my licesne to get suspended. Had my license revoked when I reached 20 points.

what should i say? this was 1mile away from college, so im thinking i will just say im not from here, and was trying to do a u-turn because i was late for class, but then i think he/she will say that im endangering people's lives for a class

**** man, still cant believe this happened

yes this is or was my first ticket ever, in any sort of manner, ive never been pulled over, no lie, i was legit nervous, had my hands on the wheel, license+registration on the right hand, keys on the other

not about that life

my court date is 10/16/14 at 9am, whats an ADA? and i was told a non-moving violation only decreases it by 2points, is that true?

are you sure they'll only let me off witha fine?

also what should i say to the judge?

thanks man
ADA = Assistant District Attorney... They have everyones file and look to see what your driving record is like... Usually if its clean they'll let you off with a non moving violation which means no points and like a $100-200 fine.

The judge himself usually wont say too much, you don't need to say a whole lot....

Someone before said try to postpone the court date and hope the Cop doesn't show up... Doesn't always work like that, depends on the state I believe, in NY the cop doesn't have to show up I don't think but not sure about NJ.

Maybe move the sticker in the back window to a corner and take a pic of it to show you've done something to move it and it was a mistake.

Did the cop reduce the speed he clocked you or did he say from the jump you were going 80?

Listen to Fraij OP. He's told you most of what you need to know. Most importantly, plead Not Guilty and go to the court date, or try to have it postponed to a date you can make if you can't make that. You can almost always plead down your ticket to something that won't give you points, especially if you have a clean record. On rare occasion the officer won't show up to court and your ticket will be thrown out completely. It's important to avoid points on your license though. Those points are what sends your insurance rates up and it takes quite a while to get points off of your license. If they offer you a fine and no points, take it and run.

And don't worry about the Judge. Traffic court judges aren't going to spend much time on you.

So your unable to get a license period?

How do you survive srs.

Also i forgot to mention ive got a probationary auto license... issued 4-2013... im guessing thats why i was told it will be suspended, this sucks.

Last edited:
what should i say? this was 1mile away from college, so im thinking i will just say im not from here, and was trying to do a u-turn because i was late for class, but then i think he/she will say that im endangering people's lives for a class

**** man, still cant believe this happened

I was late for class, im sorry. Tell them youre a struggling college student and heavy fines and points would make your situation harder.

Ticket clinic don't know if it's available in your area paid 199 and my case was thrown out :nthat:

In fl the cop doesnt even show up half the time and it automatically gets dismissed, dont know the NJ situation

I'm in texas and I've prob had at least 10 speeding tickets before I turned 30. Most of the advice on here you're getting is sound. I would advise you lawyer up meaning you hire a lawyer that does traffic tickets it will run you 60 to 80 closer to 100 if you go into warrant status. The lawyer delays the court date for you and you get probation 4 or 5 months later but you still gonna have to pay for the ticket a reduced amount though and no points on your dl.

I'm in texas and I've prob had at least 10 speeding tickets before I turned 30. Most of the advice on here you're getting is sound. I would advise you lawyer up meaning you hire a lawyer that does traffic tickets it will run you 60 to 80 closer to 100 if you go into warrant status. The lawyer delays the court date for you and you get probation 4 or 5 months later but you still gonna have to pay for the ticket a reduced amount though and no points on your dl.

could you explain a bit more please.. so no points on my dl but not on insurance? also is a lawyer that cheap? what does probation mean? and my ticket has no $ set, it just says non-payable, and has the court date set below

edit- called dmv i wont be suspended, they wont give me any amount on the fees and the court cannot disclose fees either, so lame

im really trusting you guys, are you sure theres a payment plan?, i moved my court date to monday 9am

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom