So i'm car-less now because of a Drunk driver

So sunday night i'm watching tv at my house. Hear a loud crash. open my garage to look where my car is normally parked and it's not there.. I look about 75 feet to the right and in my neighbor's driveway is my car smashed from the back. Basically, a drunk woman smashed into my 2006 altima with a hyundia, smaller than my car! hard enough to do about $12,000 plus in damage. It's totaled.

My question is, since there is a police report and witnesses will my insurance go up? Eventhough i'm not at fault whatsoever and I have never had an accident or ticket since i've been driving.

So sunday night i'm watching tv at my house. Hear a loud crash. open my garage to look where my car is normally parked and it's not there.. I look about 75 feet to the right and in my neighbor's driveway is my car smashed from the back. Basically, a drunk woman smashed into my 2006 altima with a hyundia, smaller than my car! hard enough to do about $12,000 plus in damage. It's totaled.

My question is, since there is a police report and witnesses will my insurance go up? Eventhough i'm not at fault whatsoever and I have never had an accident or ticket since i've been driving.

thats sucks....not sure about your insurance but hope everything works out in your favor

thats sucks....not sure about your insurance but hope everything works out in your favor

Your insurance will likely go up if you make an insurance claim.

You aren't going to make a claim on HER insurance?

Your insurance will likely go up if you make an insurance claim.

You aren't going to make a claim on HER insurance?

if she's 100% at fault, which she is, you need to make sure you don't file ANYTHING under your claim, it'll come from her pockets, and your insurance won't go up. wife was rear ended at a red light, got a claim through the other party's insurance agency, and our insurance price is ifne.

if she's 100% at fault, which she is, you need to make sure you don't file ANYTHING under your claim, it'll come from her pockets, and your insurance won't go up. wife was rear ended at a red light, got a claim through the other party's insurance agency, and our insurance price is ifne.

Hold on, it just dawned on me that you probably don't know how insurance works in cases like this.

Assuming this lady has liability insurance, you'd make a claim with her insurance company, not affecting your coverage or provider.

If she's NOT insured, you'd probably end up making a claim with your provider to cover the cost of the damage, which would keep you from having to pay the full amount, but would most likely mean your rate goes up.

Hold on, it just dawned on me that you probably don't know how insurance works in cases like this.

Assuming this lady has liability insurance, you'd make a claim with her insurance company, not affecting your coverage or provider.

If she's NOT insured, you'd probably end up making a claim with your provider to cover the cost of the damage, which would keep you from having to pay the full amount, but would most likely mean your rate goes up.

When u say make a claim on her insurance do you mean exactly? Never been involved in an accident so i'm new to this stuff

When u say make a claim on her insurance do you mean exactly? Never been involved in an accident so i'm new to this stuff

Originally Posted by killahcam06

Damn, you need to change the title of this thread to "How does car insurance work?"

I'm leaving the office now.  I'll let some other users help you out.

Back
Top Bottom