So INCEPTION is One of the BEST Movies I have ever seen... Vol. Christopher "The Man" Nolan

Originally Posted by Raginl3ull

Originally Posted by Noskey

Now you're reaching. But Saito had faith in Cobb and that he did what needed to be done. Faith was a sort of recurring theme in this movie. He had faith when they were in Yusef's dream that Cobb would finish the mission, he had faith in the airplane that Cobb finished the mission, whether they talked about it in limbo or not. So he made the call.

I know you're going to disagree with what I just typed, so just make your rebuttal short and take the rest to IMDB where you might find someone who agrees with you... for some reason.

I disagree.  FAITH is not a sufficient basis for following through with his end of the deal unless he knew for certain.  Would you deliver if you BELIEVED someone had followed through with their end of the deal?  Or would you want CONFIRMATION?   That's what I thought....keep reaching

Its true that in the movie cobb didnt know if the inception was successful or not, but remember if he had arrived in LA without being cleared he would of been sent to prison for the rest of his life. It's not like when they woke up in the plane they could all talk about what happened with fisher in the plane. So I wouldn't call "faith is not sufficient" it is in a indirect way.

Also has anyone ever though that maybe after the dream when they woke up it no longer was as clear to them, meaning if Saito did spend a bunch of years in limbo he would not wake up with a terrible memory/experience of it.

Think about it, the best way to tell if the Inception worked is if fisher retires  which was not shown in the movie,

Also I kinda agree with that ring theory it follows it pretty spot on, and even that isnt true the top was not really his totem. So I believe the ending was reality and not a dream.

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

Originally Posted by solelistikn1ke1ne

the wedding ring theory is plausible, but then why would cobb keep spinning the top as his totem?

It was his wife's totem, this was confirmed in the movie.
True and didn't Arthur explain to Ariadne that if she touched his totem it wouldn't hold the same value or something like that.

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

Originally Posted by solelistikn1ke1ne

the wedding ring theory is plausible, but then why would cobb keep spinning the top as his totem?

It was his wife's totem, this was confirmed in the movie.
True and didn't Arthur explain to Ariadne that if she touched his totem it wouldn't hold the same value or something like that.

Now you're reaching. But Saito had faith in Cobb and that he did what needed to be done. Faith was a sort of recurring theme in this movie. He had faith when they were in Yusef's dream that Cobb would finish the mission, he had faith in the airplane that Cobb finished the mission, whether they talked about it in limbo or not. So he made the call.

I know you're going to disagree with what I just typed, so just make your rebuttal short and take the rest to IMDB where you might find someone who agrees with you... for some reason.

I disagree.  FAITH is not a sufficient basis for following through with his end of the deal unless he knew for certain.  Would you deliver if you BELIEVED someone had followed through with their end of the deal?  Or would you want CONFIRMATION?   That's what I thought....keep reaching
im guessing that since they both know that fisher was dead or not awake when they last saw him in the snow area, and then when they saw him awake on the plane, it can pretty much be assumed that he awoke and fulfilled the inception. otherwise he would still be in limbo, and the shapeshifter would be as well given that he was waiting for the last minute to do the kick to fisher. and if the shapeshifter made it through.....who's job was to make sure that fisher opened that vault, then its confirmed that everything was ok. 
basically, none of them would be awake on that plane if the inception didn't go through. you don't need confirmation, otherwise they would have to wait til fisher makes an official announcement or something. the movie is def. based on beliefs, not finding confirmations. its what you choose to believe. 

im not sure if that makes sense or if it even relates to the discussion. 

im guessing that since they both know that fisher was dead or not awake when they last saw him in the snow area, and then when they saw him awake on the plane, it can pretty much be assumed that he awoke and fulfilled the inception. otherwise he would still be in limbo, and the shapeshifter would be as well given that he was waiting for the last minute to do the kick to fisher. and if the shapeshifter made it through.....who's job was to make sure that fisher opened that vault, then its confirmed that everything was ok. 
basically, none of them would be awake on that plane if the inception didn't go through. you don't need confirmation, otherwise they would have to wait til fisher makes an official announcement or something. the movie is def. based on beliefs, not finding confirmations. its what you choose to believe. 

im not sure if that makes sense or if it even relates to the discussion. 

You're just arguing to argue. And after watching the warehouse scene again, all Saito says is "Cobb... I will honor the agreement." That's pretty cut and clear; Saito's going to make the call no matter what. Then in the limbo stage...
C - "I came back to remind you of something."
S - "To convince me to honor our arrangement."
C - "To take a leap of faith, yes." .... "Come back, so we can be young men again." .... "Come back with me"
Saito reaches for the gun. They wake up. After exchanging stares, Saito makes the call.

So, was the faith aspect really not sufficient? Watch the scene again if you have the bootleg like you claim.

As for your question... yes I'd make the call. Worst case scenario, the guy goes home a free man without completing his job and I have to hunt him down again. Big whoop. Maybe you just take Atheist ideals into every part of your life, but while I dont have faith in a god, I have faith in a man who saves me from a limbo I've lived in for 40 years
wink.gif

You're just arguing to argue. And after watching the warehouse scene again, all Saito says is "Cobb... I will honor the agreement." That's pretty cut and clear; Saito's going to make the call no matter what. Then in the limbo stage...
C - "To take a leap of faith, yes." .... "Come back, so we can be young men again." .... "Come back with me"
Saito reaches for the gun. They wake up. After exchanging stares, Saito makes the call.

So, was the faith aspect really not sufficient? Watch the scene again if you have the bootleg like you claim.

As for your question... yes I'd make the call. Worst case scenario, the guy goes home a free man without completing his job and I have to hunt him down again. Big whoop. Maybe you just take Atheist ideals into every part of your life, but while I dont have faith in a god, I have faith in a man who saves me from a limbo I've lived in for 40 years
wink.gif

wink.gif

-  Not so fast pal, watch it again...you pulled a G.O.P. manuever...(cough)soundbite(cough).  What did Cobb say to Araidne right before Saito says he will still honor the arrangement?  Araidne says "and if he dies?"  Cobb, "Worse case scenario, his mind is completely gone..." which cues Saito "I will still honor the arrangement.  Cobb "You won't even remember we had an arrangement"    This does not mean he will make the call no matter what, it means when he returns from being gone for so damn long he will still honor what he promised.  Nice try

-
Faith in terms of taking a risk is what you are referring to.  To not live to be old with regret.  What the hell does that have to do with him having faith and making the call?  So that he doesn't live with regret knowing he should have made the call and to take that leap of faith LOL.  Watch the last airplane scene again when Cobb gives Saito a dirty look.  That is a look and reaction of obligation.  Sorry dude, your just arguing for the sake of arguing.  BTW, you just broke your own rule...keep the rebuttles brief!   

wink.gif

-  Not so fast pal, watch it again...you pulled a G.O.P. manuever...(cough)soundbite(cough).  What did Cobb say to Araidne right before Saito says he will still honor the arrangement?  Araidne says "and if he dies?"  Cobb, "Worse case scenario, his mind is completely gone..." which cues Saito "I will still honor the arrangement.  Cobb "You won't even remember we had an arrangement"    This does not mean he will make the call no matter what, it means when he returns from being gone for so damn long he will still honor what he promised.  Nice try

-
Faith in terms of taking a risk is what you are referring to.  To not live to be old with regret.  What the hell does that have to do with him having faith and making the call?  So that he doesn't live with regret knowing he should have made the call and to take that leap of faith LOL.  Watch the last airplane scene again when Cobb gives Saito a dirty look.  That is a look and reaction of obligation.  Sorry dude, your just arguing for the sake of arguing.  BTW, you just broke your own rule...keep the rebuttles brief!   

wink.gif

-  Not so fast pal, watch it again...you pulled a G.O.P. manuever...(cough)soundbite(cough).  What did Cobb say to Araidne right before Saito says he will still honor the arrangement?  Araidne says "and if he dies?"  Cobb, "Worse case scenario, his mind is completely gone..." which cues Saito "I will still honor the arrangement.  Cobb "Your mind will be completely gone"    This does not mean he will make the call no matter what, it means when he returns from being gone for so damn long he will still honor what he promised.  Nice try

-

I think he means...if you're gonna survive that long with only imaginary henchman (on that...I think Saito had the same training Fischer did and those are his mind security) who you don't remember creating. You gotta have a strong will to live. This stranger he barely remembered told him back some words he definitely knew, and told Saito to trust him and die, because this world isn't real.
I think that counts as a leap of faith.

wink.gif

-  Not so fast pal, watch it again...you pulled a G.O.P. manuever...(cough)soundbite(cough).  What did Cobb say to Araidne right before Saito says he will still honor the arrangement?  Araidne says "and if he dies?"  Cobb, "Worse case scenario, his mind is completely gone..." which cues Saito "I will still honor the arrangement.  Cobb "Your mind will be completely gone"    This does not mean he will make the call no matter what, it means when he returns from being gone for so damn long he will still honor what he promised.  Nice try

-

I think he means...if you're gonna survive that long with only imaginary henchman (on that...I think Saito had the same training Fischer did and those are his mind security) who you don't remember creating. You gotta have a strong will to live. This stranger he barely remembered told him back some words he definitely knew, and told Saito to trust him and die, because this world isn't real.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Pretty much. Thank you.

BTW, you just broke your own rule...keep the rebuttles brief!  
I never said I wouldnt make a long post
wink.gif
laugh.gif

But I really didnt mean to make my counter argument that long, I swear
laugh.gif
It just took a lot more words than I wanted to get my thoughts out.

Agree to disagree?

Pretty much. Thank you.

BTW, you just broke your own rule...keep the rebuttles brief!  
I never said I wouldnt make a long post
wink.gif
laugh.gif

But I really didnt mean to make my counter argument that long, I swear
laugh.gif
It just took a lot more words than I wanted to get my thoughts out.

Agree to disagree?

at the end, he didnt care to check if it was reality or not and went on to see his children.

The reference of being "old" was brought up about 2-3 times in the movie.

at the end, he didnt care to check if it was reality or not and went on to see his children.

The reference of being "old" was brought up about 2-3 times in the movie.

roll.gif
Ground King wrote:

Originally Posted by Hyper Cutter

It's a movie about a guy who has a very interesting dream on his plane ride back to his family. That's it.
tumblr_l61b5aUT4E1qb5imxo1_r1_400.jpg
I haven't lol'd this hard in a long time. Thanks sir

roll.gif

I'm sicking to the end being real.  The Ring theory makes perfect sense and is something subtle Nolan would do.  You gotta pay attention to his films because he likes to have his films feel finished with the viewers making the possibilities of sequels or what really happened in the film.

Batman can end with Dark Knight and no one would have a big problem.  But us viewers say stuff like Two-Face was knocked out due to the fall, still room for more villains, and gotta let Batman become the hero again.  Why you think he didn't say nothing about doing Batman 3 until after he was done with Inception?

roll.gif
Ground King wrote:

Originally Posted by Hyper Cutter

It's a movie about a guy who has a very interesting dream on his plane ride back to his family. That's it.
tumblr_l61b5aUT4E1qb5imxo1_r1_400.jpg
I haven't lol'd this hard in a long time. Thanks sir

roll.gif

I'm sicking to the end being real.  The Ring theory makes perfect sense and is something subtle Nolan would do.  You gotta pay attention to his films because he likes to have his films feel finished with the viewers making the possibilities of sequels or what really happened in the film.

Batman can end with Dark Knight and no one would have a big problem.  But us viewers say stuff like Two-Face was knocked out due to the fall, still room for more villains, and gotta let Batman become the hero again.  Why you think he didn't say nothing about doing Batman 3 until after he was done with Inception?

Back
Top Bottom