So Landon Will Go to Europe

Everton confirm talks to sign U.S. striker Landon Donovan

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone has confirmed that the club are in talks to sign United States forward Landon Donovan on loan in January.

landondonovanceleb20091210_275x155.jpg

GettyImages

Landon Donovan has played for Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich

The Premier League club are hoping to sign Donovan from LA Galaxy on what Everton describe as a "short-term deal", in a similar vein to the loanmove that Galaxy team-mate David Beckham has arranged with AC Milan.

"Landon is a player David Moyes has identified as someone he would like to bring to the club," Elstone told the club's official website."We are working to make that happen and hope we can reach agreement soon with all the appropriate parties."

The MLS season has come to a close and a move to the Premier League would afford Donovan the chance to maintain his fitness and test himself at the highestlevel ahead of the World Cup finals in South Africa in the summer.

Everton are confident of bringing Donovan, 27, to Merseyside on January 2, meaning he could conceivably make his Premier League debut against Arsenal onJanuary 9.

The MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2009 season has previously played for both Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich but failed to make a lasting impressionin the Bundesliga.

If he does join Everton he will link up with international team-mate Tim Howard and become the latest United States international to represent the Toffees,following in the footsteps of Joe-Max Moore and Brian McBride.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=711018&sec=transfers&cc=3888

nerd.gif

i really hope he does well, hes too good of a player not too...Everton has been struggling with injuries all season, there should be plenty of pitch time outthere for him

wish him luck... it'd be nice to see a USA player do it big in europe. tim howard is doing well, but if we had more players ball, then we'd get a lilmore street cred in international play

Originally Posted by Nako XL

KingJames23 wrote:

He needs to make a permanent move to Europe.

he's terrible every time he goes over there...

He needs to play against the best, there is only so much the MLS can do for you. He sucked and had a bad experience which is why he stays in America but if hewants to get better he needs to play the best competition on the planet.

I've got nothing good to say about this guy, but I don't want to sound like a major "hater" whatever that means. I guess it's just a goodthing I really don't follow the EPL, but I don't think he's built for it. Their game is too physical over there for him to excel.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

I've got nothing good to say about this guy, but I don't want to sound like a major "hater" whatever that means. I guess it's just a good thing I really don't follow the EPL, but I don't think he's built for it. Their game is too physical over there for him to excel.

he has the speed to keep up.

last year he was doing fine for bayern. during the pre season he was getting time and was scoring but come regular season they bench his butt smh.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

I've got nothing good to say about this guy, but I don't want to sound like a major "hater" whatever that means. I guess it's just a good thing I really don't follow the EPL, but I don't think he's built for it. Their game is too physical over there for him to excel.

he has the speed to keep up.

last year he was doing fine for bayern. during the pre season he was getting time and was scoring but come regular season they bench his butt smh.
Son, everyone gets PT during pre-season. Why the he.ll would Bayern start him last season when they had Toni, Klose, Podolski, Schweinsteiger,Ribery, etc.?

Anyways, Everton are a big club and Landon will once again get the chance to prove himself in Europe. He will get a fair chance to start for an Everton clubshort of attacking options. Yakubu is gonna be gone for the African Nations Cup while Louis Saha is bound to get injured in the coming weeks.

Why did he suck during his first tour in Europe? The best player in MLS couldn't even cut it to make the starting lineup?

I think he's gonna prove himself this time around. He had a @+%@! ex-gf who held him back (LD is a big simp) and I truly believe she had a lot to do withhim not wanting to leave the US and stay in MLS. This year he played out of his mind all season with the Galaxy and US Nats and it seems like he's finallymatured a bit. We'll see how it all goes.

Originally Posted by socluis90

I think he's gonna prove himself this time around. He had a @+%@! ex-gf who held him back (LD is a big simp) and I truly believe she had a lot to do with him not wanting to leave the US and stay in MLS. This year he played out of his mind all season with the Galaxy and US Nats and it seems like he's finally matured a bit. We'll see how it all goes.

These are the kind of excuses you guys are making for him now? Really? His GF?

Originally Posted by 49er4Life

I think he's gonna prove himself this time around. He had a @+%@! ex-gf who held him back (LD is a big simp) and I truly believe she had a lot to do with him not wanting to leave the US and stay in MLS. This year he played out of his mind all season with the Galaxy and US Nats and it seems like he's finally matured a bit. We'll see how it all goes.

I know a lot more than you think bro. I got connects
pimp.gif

i think Landon gets it right this time

hes the best outfield player the US has ever had..some players just dont adjust to certain leagues as well as others, its not necessarily that they aren't"good" enough..if hes wasnt good, clubs like Bayern, Leverkusen and Everton would never come calling...look at Clint, hes making it just fine (5goals in his last 7 matches) and hes not nearly the caliber player Landon is...

Shevchenko and Forlan both had dismal stints in the Premiership and Sheva tore up the Italian League for a number of years...Forlan has been beasting in LaLiga since leaving Manchester...okay Donovan isnt their league (those are just examples), but im just saying even world class players have trouble performingfor whatever reasons it may be..i think he just gets alot more $#!% because hes American

you cant deny that his vision and playmaking ability would rival most premier league midfielders..its whether he can handle the speed of play and moreimportantly the physical aspect this time around...i think he can

Originally Posted by 49er4Life

It was his wife (ex now) and she was one of the main actresses on a show filmed in LA.
Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Why did he suck during his first tour in Europe? The best player in MLS couldn't even cut it to make the starting lineup?

He would've become a starter at Leverkusen if he had stuck it out there but he gave up and left too early.

i truly like landon's game and i think he'll do decently at everton. he's a smart player and could help any team if used right.

he's has speed and smarts, i wouldn't worry about him getting out-muscled in the prem.

Originally Posted by fromtheline88

hes the best outfield player the US has ever had.
I think a lot of people overlook this FACT. I don't follow EPL or any Euro Leagues as much as a lot of you, but I completely respect Landonfor what he has done on the international stage for the US. Bottom line is he is one of the players that made the USA relevant in World Cups, and I'm surehe can prove that this summer.

He's already 8 goals ahead of Wynalda (who is 2nd all time) and is only 27. He has 2 World Cups still in him and has already guided the team farther in theWorld Cup than anybody in history.

Hopefully he does well in Europe, it will only make him a better player overall.

Back
Top Bottom