So somebody needs to be held responsible for all these injuries, right NBA?

In a shortened, 66 game regular season we've seen Ricky Rubio, Dwight Howard, Kobe, Iman Shumpert, Derrick Rose, Rip Hamilton, Al Horford, Jeremy Lin and other players go down for extended time for what's really painfully obviously too many games in too short of a time. Why isn't a bigger deal being made about this? Nobody wins from this crap season except owners who get to see more money in their pockets from extra games. It's bull.

Although I do agree that there was to many back to back games in a season. Eventually it was going to take a tow on player's body.

But it's part of them game bro... things like this happen ALL the time in competitive sports!

I blame LeBron.

But seriously, I don't buy the narrative at all. People are just looking for something or someone to blame for the otherwise unexplainable. Just think of past years... Bynum, Perkins, Wade, Ginobili, Garnett, Yao, Hill, Amare, Shaq, Bogut, etc. Injuries happen every year.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I blame LeBron.

But seriously, I don't buy the narrative at all. People are just looking for something or someone to blame for the otherwise unexplainable. Just think of past years... Bynum, Perkins, Wade, Ginobili, Garnett, Yao, Hill, Amare, Shaq, Bogut, etc. Injuries happen every year.
Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. For every player that had an injury plagued season, there's someone who had an uncharacteristically healthy season. Boozer, Redd, Noah, Caron Butler, etc.
They played a game every 1.86 days compared to a regular season's 2.09, considering that there were 16 less games in total, I don't even think that's necessarily any more strenuous. 

Furthermore, some of those guys were injured before the toll of the games could even be considered. 

-Rose's problems started in early January

-Rip's started after approximately 4 games

-Horford played 11 games

As for the other guys 

-Kobe's always banged up (he's old, he's been playing forever) 

-Rubio, Shumpert and Lin all had significantly increased total minutes from their previous teams. I doubt the likelihood of getting injured this season was higher than any other.

-Dwight...just happened to get injured this season.  

I blame LeBron.

This. 

You & Futuristic summed it up perfectly. 

Originally Posted by Futuristic

I blame LeBron.

Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. For every player that had an injury plagued season, there's someone who had an uncharacteristically healthy season. Boozer, Redd, Noah, Caron Butler, etc.
They played a game every 1.86 days compared to a regular season's 2.09, considering that there were 16 less games in total, I don't even think that's necessarily any more strenuous. 

Furthermore, some of those guys were injured before the toll of the games could even be considered. 

-Rose's problems started in early January

-Rip's started after approximately 4 games

-Horford played 11 games

As for the other guys 

-Kobe's always banged up (he's old, he's been playing forever) 

-Rubio, Shumpert and Lin all had significantly increased total minutes from their previous teams. I doubt the likelihood of getting injured this season was higher than any other.

-Dwight...just happened to get injured this season.  
Guys just were not ready.
Shump played 30 minutes a game last year, his injury was a freak one imo.

Rose's problems started in January? 

Nah I dont consider the toe to be a legitimate long term issue. He cant flex the toe and never will be able to again. The fact it flared up is a matter of unfortunate circumstance. Next thing you know Kyrie injures his toe and tears his ACL 4 months later and they are related.

frown.gif

I don't buy the narrative at all. People are just looking for something or someone to blame for the otherwise unexplainable. Just think of past years... Bynum, Perkins, Wade, Ginobili, Garnett, Yao, Hill, Amare, Shaq, Bogut, etc. Injuries happen every year.

This

I blame LeBron.

/thread . It's natural for humans to look for a scapegoat when something bad happens. They believe that there must be a cause for everything while a lot of times it just happens. 

injuries happen by nature IMO . That's the risk you take when playing a sport

any of those injuries could have happened in a 82 game season.

this is very stupid.

So the fact that all these knee-blown out injuries (+ Dwight's back) occurring with NO CONTACT raise up no flags for you guys??
None whatsoever? Instead i'm now a derrick rose fan and that's the end of discussion?

This is why even nerdy *!% reddit's r/nba is better than this place. SMH.

EDIT:  Other freak injuries happened in past seasons but they happened because of some sort of incidental contact or lingering past history with injuries. The sorts of injuries that have popped up this past season all seem more like a result of overuse and/or poor training camp rather than bumping knees at the wrong angle.

torn ACL can happen to anyone and easily with no contact. i could jump up for a rebound tomorrow during a pickup game and tear my ACL. means nothing. its part of the game

its partially to blame
fatigue means weaker muscles means more open to injuries

in addition to the dense schedule, the absence of a proper training camp is also a factor.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

its partially to blame
fatigue means weaker muscles means more open to injuries

in addition to the dense schedule, the absence of a proper training camp is also a factor.
Ok well who's to blame?  The Players Association? The NBA?  The lockout was going to happen whether we like it or not, and there would be alot more complaining had they cancelled the whole season altogether 

Uhmm you dudes sound ridiculous. As if the lack of rest their bodies are getting at this high a level of competition doesn't effect their bodies. A torn ACL can happen at any moment, but it is not that common, and a well maintained and rested body definitely effects the chances of that happening, especially in the ways it has happened this season. Especially when it comes to Rose, everyone is saying "It would've happened eventually, his body is wearing down" Rose is not T-Mac. His body was not wearing down prior to this season, and he most definitely would not have the concern of his body wearing down had this been a regular season. A lot of these small injuries that are piling up among players are an issue for the exact reason of how the schedule is laid out. All that physical stuff is part of the game, but the schedule they usually have is designed like that for a reason. To take care of these players, and to ensure that this part of the game is as minimal as possible. 

Originally Posted by Wade187

Uhmm you dudes sound ridiculous. As if the lack of rest their bodies are getting at this high a level of competition doesn't effect their bodies. A torn ACL can happen at any moment, but it is not that common, and a well maintained and rested body definitely effects the chances of that happening, especially in the ways it has happened this season. Especially when it comes to Rose, everyone is saying "It would've happened eventually, his body is wearing down" Rose is not T-Mac. His body was not wearing down prior to this season, and he most definitely would not have the concern of his body wearing down had this been a regular season. A lot of these small injuries that are piling up among players are an issue for the exact reason of how the schedule is laid out. All that physical stuff is part of the game, but the schedule they usually have is designed like that for a reason. To take care of these players, and to ensure that this part of the game is as minimal as possible. 
Ok so what would you want them to do?  Should they have just cancelled the season, or not had the lockout (which obviously wasnt an option)

Okay, & if their was a 82 game schedule, even more guys would have tore their acl.

These threads are stupid smh

Originally Posted by Zyzz

torn ACL can happen to anyone and easily with no contact. i could jump up for a rebound tomorrow during a pickup game and tear my ACL. means nothing. its part of the game
This. That's how I did it
frown.gif

And 3 of the Warriors' starting 5 had surgery last week
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by Zyzz

This. That's how I did it
frown.gif
Never happened to me, but I remember an easy-paced pick-up game with a bunch of friends and this girl came down after a rebound and just hit the deck. She let out a yell and then calmly said "that's my ACL" and we helped her to the bench. She was athletic and in great shape. MRI confirmed it later. It can happen to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom