So they found water on the moon

Originally Posted by ArtStranger

I have never and will never understand the why we spend so much money on space exploration.
I think it is so stupid to spend billions on shuttles and finding out we have water on the moon when people
are without jobs, starving, dieing of disease we should be haveing to deal with this when there are billions of
dollars being wasted on space. Anyone eles feel the same?

That's essentially the same as asking why did explorers waste time "discovering" America
laugh.gif

Exploration is human nature, and the by-product of figuring out how to explore far off, mysterious places has been a ton of great technological advances thatyou now have all around you in everyday life.

I can understand your gripe - because we'd all survive as things currently stand, at least for awhile. But you have no desire inside you to push what youalready know and can do, to be bigger and better things with your life?

Originally Posted by 18th letter

I wonder what they would say if I had enough cake to build a spaceship and I decided to fly to the moon and just start a colony or something.

i always wondered that too
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Can they just go back to the moon already?!?! Get it the *@#$ over with.

We were there so damn long ago, and our technology now is so far superior to what it was then.

There has to be a benefit of going back.

Unless...we were never there in the first place.
grin.gif
, we never went.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

We were there so damn long ago, and our technology now is so far superior to what it was then.

grin.gif
, we never went.
laugh.gif
You missed my sarcasm.

discovering the moon and discovering america is two entirely different things.
I understand we are curious creatures but discovering America didn't cost billions of dollars.
How can you rationalize spend that much money just to say hey we have water on the moon?
We got water here and it ain't going anywhere also just because the moon has water doesn't mean we can live there.
I just think it is a waste of money. It is so that the rich and powerful can feel "cool" about being the first to discover something. smh

Originally Posted by CasperJr

^^bingo

they need to explain why we havent seen all the moon in full color...............................
Is this is a joke?

Spaceflight wise, what has changed? If you're going to make assertions...back them up.
Sure we have better computers, but you're computers are only as good as the rockets they are controlling.

The next gen Moon rocket, uses Space Shuttle and Apollo aerospace technology.

Size_Comparison2.png

I'm going to go slow for you guys,

Ares is the next series of launch vehicles. The white boosters on the side of the Ares launch vehicles (IV and V) and the booster on the bottom of Ares I issimply a larger solid rocket boosters found on shuttle launch vehicle. The second stage of the Ares rocket is the same engine as the 3rd stage on the Saturn V.

Leaving Earth orbit is still very expensive and NASA has not brought the down "price per payload weight" rate very much since the 60s. What haschanged in terms of space flight? Please tell me. Going to the moon is still expensive. If you wanted to go back in the 90s, you should have asked yourcongressman to put NASA's budget at 20 billion instead a of a pitiful 5 billion.

It's all about cost and politics. We had a reason to go to the moon in the 60s, beat the Russians. One the national agenda was achieved, Americans gotbored and wanted to use their tax dollars for other useless endeavors. Apparently, doing things for the sake of science is not a good enough reason to increaseNASA's budget. The day we find a way to make a significant profit margin on the moon, is the day the moon becomes priority number one.
ArtStranger wrote:
I have never and will never understand the why we spend so much money on space exploration.
I think it is so stupid to spend billions on shuttles and finding out we have water on the moon when people
are without jobs, starving, dieing of disease we should be haveing to deal with this when there are billions of

For those who say why spend money on Space? You do realize that there are people who actual work for NASA and it's contractor/consulting companies. TheNASA facilities have actually created sub-communities such as Clear Lake in Houston and Cape Canaveral in Florida. Those communities also have malls, lawfirms, office buildings,tourism etc. Even more jobs and infrastructure. Yes, this stupid space stuff supplies jobs and stimulates the economy. "Stupidspace" makes Jobs? OMG
eek.gif

Craftsy21
Also I would love to move forward in life but not at the expense of others.
I would rather my and your tax dollars go to helping feed or vaccinate someone in order to help
others who really need and not just to add to our convenience. It just seems stupid and selfish to me.

Originally Posted by Goldman Stacks

^^bingo

they need to explain why we havent seen all the moon in full color...............................
Is this is a joke?
Lulz

On a semi related note, some of the ignroance on display here is amazing.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

That's essentially the same as asking why did explorers waste time "discovering" America
laugh.gif

Exploration is human nature, and the by-product of figuring out how to explore far off, mysterious places has been a ton of great technological advances that you now have all around you in everyday life.

I can understand your gripe - because we'd all survive as things currently stand, at least for awhile. But you have no desire inside you to push what you already know and can do, to be bigger and better things with your life?
I used to feel the the same until Dirty pointed out to me on one of my blogs way back when that NASA drives a lot of technical advances that endup useful in our everyday lives.

NASA may not seem "necessary" to some, but the byproducts of the NASA program since it's inception make it more than worth it.

Originally Posted by Goldman Stacks

^^bingo

Is this is a joke?

Spaceflight wise, what has changed? If you're going to make assertions...back them up.
Sure we have better computers, but you're computers are only as good as the rockets they are controlling.

The next gen Moon rocket, uses Space Shuttle and Apollo aerospace technology.

Size_Comparison2.png

I'm going to go slow for you guys,

Ares is the next series of launch vehicles. The white boosters on the side of the Ares launch vehicles (IV and V) and the booster on the bottom of Ares I is simply a larger solid rocket boosters found on shuttle launch vehicle. The second stage of the Ares rocket is the same engine as the 3rd stage on the Saturn V.

Leaving Earth orbit is still very expensive and NASA has not brought the down "price per payload weight" rate very much since the 60s. What has changed in terms of space flight? Please tell me. Going to the moon is still expensive. If you wanted to go back in the 90s, you should have asked your congressman to put NASA's budget at 20 billion instead a of a pitiful 5 billion.

It's all about cost and politics. We had a reason to go to the moon in the 60s, beat the Russians. One the national agenda was achieved, Americans got bored and wanted to use their tax dollars for other useless endeavors. Apparently, doing things for the sake of science is not a good enough reason to increase NASA's budget. The day we find a way to make a significant profit margin on the moon, is the day the moon becomes priority number one.
ArtStranger wrote:

For those who say why spend money on Space? You do realize that there are people who actual work for NASA and it's contractor/consulting companies. The NASA facilities have actually created sub-communities such as Clear Lake in Houston and Cape Canaveral in Florida. Those communities also have malls, law firms, office buildings,tourism etc. Even more jobs and infrastructure. Yes, this stupid space stuff supplies jobs and stimulates the economy. "Stupid space" makes Jobs? OMG
eek.gif

good man

Originally Posted by Bastitch

laugh.gif

Exploration is human nature, and the by-product of figuring out how to explore far off, mysterious places has been a ton of great technological advances that you now have all around you in everyday life.

I can understand your gripe - because we'd all survive as things currently stand, at least for awhile. But you have no desire inside you to push what you already know and can do, to be bigger and better things with your life?
I used to feel the the same until Dirty pointed out to me on one of my blogs way back when that NASA drives a lot of technical advances that end up useful in our everyday lives.

NASA may not seem "necessary" to some, but the byproducts of the NASA program since it's inception make it more than worth it.
Everything from strengthened concrete in highways to Velcro.

laugh.gif

I used to feel the the same until Dirty pointed out to me on one of my blogs way back when that NASA drives a lot of technical advances that end up useful in our everyday lives.

Everyone in this thread most likely purchased an item that NASA came up with. well not the item itself, but what is in it

Doesnt it boggle your mind that space is infinite? Yes water on the moon is fascinatiing but just think that if you were rocket propelled to space, you will begliding forever. Everytime something about space pops up, this always crosses my mind.....

what happens if u get sucked in to mach 3?? where do u go?? is there something we are missing?? what if u just keep going, where do u go? like is theresomething behind this black dark place.

laugh.gif

yeah, who could forget NASA's memory foam mattresses?
memory-foam-mattress-buying-online.jpg

So half of you don't think we went to the moon, and the other half think we did go to space and infact we encountered aliens who told us NEVER COME BACK.Ahh good times

eh, there's a huge chance we never been to the moon

I'm pretty sure we didn't go in the 60s

Back
Top Bottom