So when did JB stop using Plastic Wings on Air Jordan IV's?

I heard it was because of some lawsuit, but did this happen back in 1989 or did this change in 1999?

If you are talking about using the leather wings instead of the hard plastic or rubber, the first I know of was the white/navy Retro+ colorway in 1999/2000. The white/cement and black/cement that year had the old-style wings. Then around the same time the black/chrome +colorway came out with leather.

Originally Posted by airBOZretroIII

I got plastic wings on my MARS and MILITARY retro's from a few years ago.
no you didn't.

If I'm not mistaken, those were the first pairs with rubber.

The plastic wings break, that's why they changed em to rubber since its more durable but this is just my guess

Originally Posted by Jay1027

The plastic wings break, that's why they changed em to rubber since its more durable but this is just my guess
Could not be further from the truth. The rubber wings will warp and eventually rip with any reall lacing of the shoes. The hard plastic ones will not. i have the mars iv's and as much as i love them i cant help but hat the cheap rubber wings. The wings on the right side of my right shoe ripped back in 07 while lacing them up. I've never been able to lace them up with confidence. I always have to pull the laces straight through or else they will almost burn their way through the rubber.

i like da rubber wings...da plastic wings were harder sure..but if they bend wrong one day they're done, da worst however were da leather wings.
sick.gif

Didnt they switch it to rubber because the plastic heel tabs were cutting into people's achilles.

Originally Posted by Me4u2Night

Didnt they switch it to rubber because the plastic heel tabs were cutting into people's achilles.

I heard something like that, and that's why I asked when this event occurred prompting the change. But I'm talking about the pieces that the laces go through when tying up the shoes.

The leather wings were originally intended for use on the Retro + models, released in 99. There were major differences in the Retro +s compared to the Retro's then; they had leather wings, no mesh overlay on the tongue or side panels, and featured the Jumpman on the heel. The blk/cement and wht/cement of the time were the same as the originals; Nike Air on the back etc. Then for some reason they kept using the leather wings and the Jump guy on the heel (as you all know). The samples of the Military's had leather wings, but changed to rubber for the production. The mesh is also completely different to how it used to be, the shape too. It is easily one of the most toyed with of all Js, minus the I. The V seems to be the only one to retain its shape and detailing, minus the lame 3M they use for the tongues nowadays. Over and out.

The 99OG colors were the last to feature plastic wings. The retro plus versions of the same year used no plastic at all only leather (mesh, wings, and heeltab) this was a stylistic choiceat this time. In about 2000 nike started getting reports of people slashing open there achillies on the plastic tabs from the OG colors. So whan they released the mars and military in 06 nike used soft rubber as no to injure anyone and avoid more lawsuits.

Back
Top Bottom