SoCal Food/Grub Thread

Speaking of never closing....... Harbor House Cafe in Sunset Beach is the business
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I haven't been to Harbor House in years but it was
pimp.gif
when I went there.

I had BBQ from Hambrones in Bellflower yesterday. So good.

I've heaRD a LOT of good things about hambones, still yet to go though... a lot of businesses that prop up there close just as fast, hopefully they're ones to last.

Since you're so close I hope you've given Fronks a try?

Got to try this place a la BC on Pioneer in Norwalk, called Bucket of Crabs and Crawfish...

AWESOME!

Whole pieces of garlic, none of that minced stuff. Big skrimps... the sauce was hot, had their equivalent of the shebang medium, had my nose running. Had two pounds of shrimp and a pound of legs. Will be back again, I loved that !%#+. Place was half full, I can see that changing very soon. BC-like without a wait... OR FREEWAY? I'll definitely be back
smokin.gif

I've been to a good number of these places everyone's posted and a few I'm definitely going to try out now. Heres my contribution. 
Hot off the Grill in Seal and Huntington Beach. Menu is huge and wide variety 
pimp.gif

83a1b94690b711e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Frostbites in la palma, crepes are good too 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

(sorry for the IG pic)

dd94910a97fe11e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

Kush Bowl in La Palma 
pimp.gif

721ab7be97f011e1a92a1231381b6f02_7.jpg

Rascals in Long Beach, Torrance and Gardena 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

IG Pic 

aa4b029e6b0c11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

I have some other spots that I need to upload but definitely looking forward to this thread especially with summer vacation starting this week.

damn, can't wait to spend the next month back in LB as soon as school is out
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Not my Pics but here's a few suggestions for those who haven't tried these places out

For BBQ

Jay-Bees in Gardena

For Pizza

Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock

Salvadorean Food: Los Molcajetes in Los Angeles

And for Street Tacos, El Gavilan in Los Angeles

Tacos El Gavilan also has a new spot off Florence and Paramount in Downey, at the old Mega Shoe Factory.

Salvadorean/pupusas... I don't think any spot compares to my moms, but we used to go to Molcajete, I think they changed something the past few years and they're not the same, IMO. I'd recommend El Cerro Verde in Hawthorne off the 105 @ Hawthorne BL. They're not that expensive compared to other spots, they offer rice masa which I don't see much outside of the motherland, and they don't skimp on the ingredients while stuffing them with cheese, saving themselves some $

http://www.elcerroverde.com/

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Tacos El Gavilan also has a new spot off Florence and Paramount in Downey, at the old Mega Shoe Factory.

Salvadorean/pupusas... I don't think any spot compares to my moms, but we used to go to Molcajete, I think they changed something the past few years and they're not the same, IMO. I'd recommend El Cerro Verde in Hawthorne off the 105 @ Hawthorne BL. They're not that expensive compared to other spots, they offer rice masa which I don't see much outside of the motherland, and they don't skimp on the ingredients while stuffing them with cheese, saving themselves some $

http://www.elcerroverde.com/
I've passed by that Gavilan on my way to the Pioneer Chicken in Downey but I haven't checked it out yet. It's always packed so I'm guessing it's just as good. As for the Molcajetes, the one Hoover comes as close to being the same as the one that used to be open by Staples Center. I live in Hawthorne so I know about El Cerro Verde and I agree, they're pretty damn good and their prices aren't bad. I still like Molcajetes a little bit more but El Cerro Verde is a really good spot.

Molcajetes desserts, empanadas de leche
eek.gif
eek.gif
MUERTE
laugh.gif

It's been maybe 4 years since i've had one.

The GF's birthday is coming up in three weeks, she wants something intimate more or less, we went to La Creperie for dinner on Feb 14, she enjoyed the atmosphere. Can anyone recommend something with a similar ambiance, maybe topping out at $40-50 a person? Close to the LB area would be great

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Deli News in Long Beach is not to be #!+%$$ with

Great italian food with uber cheap prices..... Once order a large EVERYTHING pizza, plate of raviolis, and a meatball sub under 20 bucks
laugh.gif

That was my spot for a year when I worked at the Sears across the street waaay back in 1997. I didnt know they were still around. I must have ate all their pastas or sandwiches a least once for lunch. 

Lets start off in the hood:

If you are down with some soul food try Chef Marylin's on Crenshaw just south of Adams Blvd (hole in the wall). Wicked tasty cat fish and mac n' cheese. They have a dollar meny also, but you always rack up a bill no matter what. Food is tasty, but service is slow and hood. Not a sit down place...everything is to go!

for some tasty mexican food try El Taurino in the Pico/Union area, on Hoover and 11th just south of Olympic. Everything taste good. Tacos Al Pastor, Carne Asada , tortas, tostadas, whatever, you cant go wrong. The beer is ice cold on tap also.

In Downtow:

For some chinesse food try Yang Chows on Figueroa south of Alpine. Items are a'la cart, family style ordering. The shrimp fried rice and Orange Chicken are off the hook. But if you go here, you must try the slippery shrimp...house specialty! Think Orange Chicken but way better.

East Side of Town:
Nobody has mentioned The Hat. There are a few of them around, but im partial to the one off Atlantinc and Ceasar Chavez. Best Pastrami Fries in town. Burgers and regular fries are tasty also.

Im sure im forgeting some....will post more later.

The Oinkster in eagle rock is really good. they have bomb pastrami sandwiches and their chipotle ketch up and garlic aioli sauce is just crack lol.

The Back Abbey in claremont has the best burgers personally, most definitely in Inland Empire. Personally i liked their burgers better than Umami or Golden State in Los Angeles because the dry aged beef and fresh lettuce tomatoes and other ingredients. It's also a bigger portion than Umami or Goldenstate for the same price range. Their fries, damn! crispy thick but not too thick fries with sea salt. soo good! check it out! I'm also a beer person and they have a huge list of beer to choose from. i wish i took pictures :/ but i was too excited of the food lmao.

If your ever in the Pasadena/Altadena area and want a good burger,
i suggest trying a place named Jim's out.
2185 Lincoln Ave Altadena CA, 91001 (626)791-3512

Also for some great BBQ try
Big Mama's Rib Shack & Southern Cooking
its so delicious
1453 North Lake Avenue Pasadena, CA 91104
(626) 797-1792

Speaking of Pasadena... if y'all are in the area looking to satisfy a sweet tooth, hit up Fair Oaks Pharmacy. YES, a pharmacy. I guess back in the days that's what pharmacies did. They served ice cream, sundaes and milk shakes. Good stuff and it won't dent your wallet too much.

Fair Oaks Pharmacy and Soda Fountain
1526 Mission Street
South Pasadena, CA 91030
(626) 799-1414

Fair Oaks Pharmacy

Pics from Yelp:
21c9mc2.jpg

4l4n0y.jpg

t9z8nd.jpg

347uvxy.jpg

Originally Posted by dahhkneesb

If your ever in the Pasadena/Altadena area and want a good burger,
i suggest trying a place named Jim's out.
2185 Lincoln Ave Altadena CA, 91001 (626)791-3512

still remember the day someone got shot there

Back
Top Bottom