Some of these teacher salaries are INSANELY low...

Which "holidays" are you referring to?

Which school district(s) are you referring to?

There isn't a single holiday, in DC, that adults work and students don't.

Now there are professional development days in which adults have to show up to a buillding with no kids, but holidays, not in DC
Okc. Presidents’ Day type holidays. “May Day” is another one that comes to mind. Teachers work, kids stay home. Yes it’s a PD day

Last edited:
Yea my sisters friend had a degree in teaching or something however I think she realized she wasnt gonna earn enough or decided to not pursue it.

I have no remorse for teachers. As mentioned.....
1. Don't go into teaching to make bank.
2. Summers off means you have to extrapolate their salary
3. Unions, while necessary make it extremely difficult to fire terrible teachers, the other end of this it is very difficult to reward great ones
4. Teaching is one of the only professions that still have pensions, tough for me to feel for someone getting 3gs a month when they retire
5. Free health care, cushy benefits etc.....

Some teachers qualify on paper but suck at what they do. Terrible social skills, use Ageism type thinking and student split.

The strong ones that do survive deserve that up in pay. After 7 years you def deserve a huge raise. Dues def paid

50k goes a long way in most states besides CA/NY i wouldnt call that insanely low and im sure they get a bunch of benefits too

Although I think teachers are underpaid for what they do, I wouldn’t call 50k a year insanely low in Colorado. Summers and holidays off. I’d say that’s a decent living wage
Colorado is one of the most expensive states in the country. No way 50k is going to cut it out there.

I remember when I was in high school, my math teacher revealed to us he was making roughly $55/hr. Calculus, by the way.

I used to sub and i know it's a lot different but i got a taste of it and i knew it wasn't for me. Maybe on s collegiate level.

America is a weird place.
As mentioned earlier, these people are tasked with empowering the youth but get paid peanuts compared to what they should get paid. Yet people that play sports are treated like Gods.

When I was in retail over a decade ago, one of my co-workers was a middle school teacher that worked at my job, part-time.

This was in Florida.

“Teachers should get paid more.”

Works 180 days a year and makes 50k.

FOH.

**** must be lit.

Holidays off.

Summer off.

4 weeks off during school year.

Kids do test, you just chill.

It’s a easy job.

Why should I make 100k for programming kids to become workers?

The thing that many overlook is that teachers work insane hours. I’m a HS teacher and coach and my wife is a partner at a large law firm. During the school year, we both work 11 hour days. We are both getting phone calls and emails at all hours of the day and are both super stressed out by it. It’s easy for her to justify it because of her salary, but pretty dumb for a teacher to do it. Still, society will continue to underpay because they know we are suckers.

As a coach, I spend most of the summer traveling with kids to camps, running workouts, and going to AAU tournaments. I end up with about two free weeks in July before I go back.

Colorado is one of the most expensive states in the country. No way 50k is going to cut it out there.

B019D754-1528-44CD-BE34-B495FFDBCE91.jpeg

Eh. 34 is like middle of the pack. Denver is expensive of course, but as a whole, Colorado ain’t it chief. Nothing compared to my state of Oregon, or the northeast. 50k Seems very doable for the majority of the population.

FOH.

**** must be lit.

Holidays off.

Summer off.

It’s a easy job.

Define easy and “programming”.

:rofl:

B019D754-1528-44CD-BE34-B495FFDBCE91.jpeg

Eh. 34 is like middle of the pack. Denver is expensive of course, but as a whole, Colorado ain’t it chief. Nothing compared to my state of Oregon, or the northeast. 50k Seems very doable for the majority of the population.
That chart is backwards. It has the lowest cost of living at the top and highest at the bottom, making Colorado #16.

Last edited:
Mr Dink Mr Dink ahhh you right, I was reading it backwards. I still think making 50k a year in Colorado is plenty to make ends meet off of. Hard to save money yes. If you have expensive rent, student loans, credit card debt etc, then yes you’re gonna have to be frugal with your money, but 50k anywhere but the northeast and MAJOR cities is plenty to get by on.

Mr Dink Mr Dink ahhh you right, I was reading it backwards. I still think making 50k a year in Colorado is plenty to make ends meet off of. Hard to save money yes. If you have expensive rent, student loans, credit card debt etc, then yes you’re gonna have to be frugal with your money, but 50k anywhere but the northeast and MAJOR cities is plenty to get by on.
After 9 years tenure, 50k seems kind of low. Especially since Denver's cost of living has been increasing in the last few year. They're better off selling weed. Ultimately, 50k is very doable in any major city; you're lifestyle is just going to be different than anyone someone else making more.

FOH.

**** must be lit.

Holidays off.

Summer off.

It’s a easy job.

Not that simple / easy for a lot of teachers.

Summer off is nice, but its not the whole summer. Teachers usually have to go back a few weeks before students show up, and usually stay after kids are already let out for the summer to take down their classroom, work with faculty, performance reviews, etc.

Hours are not just the same as student hours either. Get there early to prepare for the day, don't leave until you finish your ****, talk with parents, meet with faculty, grade homework, etc.

Don't get paid for Student / Teacher / Parent conferences. Don't get paid for grading homework at home. Don't get paid for working on syllabus at home. Don't get paid during the "summer off" - they either don't get paid anything during those months (and have to budger properly), or they get their 9 months pay dispersed evenly over 12 months (making it less per paycheck to survive the summer). Don't get paid to chaperone events like dances or assemblies. Don't get paid to fundraise for the school district.

Teachers are often paying for classroom items and student items, out of their own pockets. Especially if in a lower economic area - the teachers themselves usually have to buy the pencils / paper / markers / etc. that students are expected to bring themselves (items on the "list" given to parents, which parents don't always comply with).

Teachers also typically have to continue their education, so during their "time off" during the summers - they are taking classes and courses (usually paying for it out of their own pockets) just to keep up with requirements.

Even with all of that, say you could do it in 40hrs per week. You're still not getting paid that much. You're still getting treated like **** by the students, by the parents, and by the faculty. You still get judged on your performance by how your students do on standardized testing, etc.

I have no remorse for teachers. As mentioned.....
1. Don't go into teaching to make bank.
2. Summers off means you have to extrapolate their salary
3. Unions, while necessary make it extremely difficult to fire terrible teachers, the other end of this it is very difficult to reward great ones
4. Teaching is one of the only professions that still have pensions, tough for me to feel for someone getting 3gs a month when they retire
5. Free health care, cushy benefits etc.....

Where are you even pulling this info from?

Teacher pensions aren't that great, in most states. $3k a month? Where? There are only 7-10 states on this list (depending on if you use the Mean or the Average), that have a pension worth $36k or more. And that pension will be taxed as income, meaning that they will not net $3k a month. And of those 7-10, not every teacher is even qualifies for those pension numbers.

https://www.teacherpensions.org/blog/what-average-teacher-pension-my-state

Free healthcare? Wut? Do any states offer free healthcare for teachers?

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/16/17119366/teacher-health-insurance-cost-rising-data

https://www.educationnext.org/the-rising-cost-of-teachers’-health-care/

Some of you guys seem to be talking out of your asses about this stuff.

In ny our raises dont keep up wit inflation. I work with a guy that said he had more money back when he was starting out in the 90s vs now when hes at top pay :lol:

Back
Top Bottom