Someone opened an envelope addressed to me. What are my options?

Long story short, I live in an apartment complex and haves locked box that can only be accessed via key. I just got back from my mailbox. The letter I've been waiting on for a week arrived and was opened on the sides by what looks like a letter opener. All that's inside is a folded up napkin. There was a small tool and money inside the envelope.

What are my options? What are the chances I'll ever reclaim my property?

Long story short, I live in an apartment complex and haves locked box that can only be accessed via key. I just got back from my mailbox. The letter I've been waiting on for a week arrived and was opened on the sides by what looks like a letter opener. All that's inside is a folded up napkin. There was a small tool and money inside the envelope.

What are my options? What are the chances I'll ever reclaim my property?

Damn... Is it the kind where it at least has slots at the top?
if so I'm thinking must've been a neighbor because why would mailman still deliver if he did it... Why are you getting cash thru mail anyways... Big no no. Although its a federal crime I don't think it's worth pursuing how would you prove it...

If not file a complaint, talk to mailman, get police involved, find out who worked your route etc

Nah, no slots at the top. It only opens with a key. I don't know why the mailman would do it, but the signs point to it being him or someone in the postal service. I'm pissed. I know I shouldn't have money being sent via mail, but to blatantly open the envelope and STILL deliver it? I don't get it. A storm is a brewing and the post office don't eem know it.

bruh i was about to say grab da musket and get the boys n hounds 

but thats sum cold blooded **** homey

i hope you find the lil **** thats stealin ****

Report it to USPS and get a new mailbox lock. Small chance you can reclaim the property.

Honestly, don't think its the post office cause I just don't see them jeopardizing their job over that envelope. More likely someone has a copy to the lock. Reminds me when I once worked at an apartment complex and two tenants got a hold of keys to different apartment complexes. They were doing something illegal and the postal inspectors set up a sting one day since it was a federal crime and both of them got arrested.

Nah, no slots at the top. It only opens with a key. I don't know why the mailman would do it, but the signs point to it being him or someone in the postal service. I'm pissed. I know I shouldn't have money being sent via mail, but to blatantly open the envelope and STILL deliver it? I don't get it. A storm is a brewing and the post office don't eem know it.

Also look into getting a po box

You holding that envelope like "the f*** is this!?" Kinda made my day. Sorry for laughing at you OP. :lol:

But if you are sure it was the mailman, report it.

If not, I'm sure the apartment complex would have security cameras somewhere to see who was snooping around your mailbox.

dont sleep on the sender in these days of conspiracy 
mean.gif

Damn son, they left a napkin to dry the tears.
If report it to usps, and depending on the amount, possibly the police. Mad grimy.

I'm thinking that the post office confiscated the property b/c the tool may have seemed suspicious.

Take the L and keep it movin', Kyle. Next time use Western Union. If it was any significant amount of money, the police would just seize it from you anyways.

Last edited:
This is how the envelope looked as I took it out da mailbox. :smh:

How many more monthly payments until that Aaron's envelope is yours?

Did you know that in the UK from the moment the mail is placed into the mailbox until it is delivered to its rightful owner it is property of Queen? If you open mail that isn't yours you can be tried for treason.

If you have to worry about that, I'd get a PO Box because the mail man or people at the post office would toss the mail out altogether if they were going to take your money. It was definitely someone in the apartment complex.

I also cosign getting a PO Box. Apartment mailboxes are a nice place to get your identity stolen. Not sure what you can do about the money unfortunately.

Last edited:
I work for USPS and you wouldn't believe some of the stories I have heard about old timers stealing, plus I deliver to apartments and when I am off my sub is the worst at delivering mail to the wrong box, gets me so heated
But you can do two things
A) ask to talk to the postmaster
And they will talk to the carrier, which will get the carrier on edge about making sure you get the right mail
B) call customer service and explain what happened and they will set something up with a postal inspector to see what's going on
Sorry this happened but the bad carriers make it hard for carriers like me because people look at us as lazy or we don't care but I know alot of carriers that bust their ***** only to get **** on in the end
Whatever you do"DO NOT TALK TO A SUPERVISOR" they will not help you
You will only get results out of the postmaster and customer service in Washington, D.C.
Good luck
Edit: also next time I noticed its Aaron's, ask for a certified letter instead of regular letters, that will cut down on theft in apartments and we have to get you to sign or leave a slip in your box to come to post office or see if you can get a signature confirmation next time

Last edited:
^ hey killa I'm a carrier too. I wasn't sure if there were any others on nt? I cosign everything you said. Signature confirmation and insurance most definitely.

^ hey killa I'm a carrier too. I wasn't sure if there were any others on nt? I cosign everything you said. Signature confirmation and insurance most definitely.
Yeah I am a RCA tho
Thought about being a city carrier but being that I have my own route, not changing my craft with all this cut back jazz and tracking with that lame *** cellphone bizness(lol)
Really trying to stop that overtime

I understand. I'm city 15 years now. Still walking 10 miles a day. It pays the bills tho. If they ever offer a buyout then I'll move up to a driving route hopefully. They keep making us come in later and later. Still have to be done by 5 tho. Cool to know another postal worker is on here. I always wondered.

I understand. I'm city 15 years now. Still walking 10 miles a day. It pays the bills tho. If they ever offer a buyout then I'll move up to a driving route hopefully. They keep making us come in later and later. Still have to be done by 5 tho. Cool to know another postal worker is on here. I always wondered.
Yea nice to know another brethren is in here
6 years myself but how they are cutting my route, gets me heated just talking about it( looking for a second job myself now)
But it could be worst as my girl and mom says

no cameras in your apt complex?? If so, you can know if it was someone in your building or prior

Back
Top Bottom