Someone please explain to me why the Final Four is such a big deal?

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Making the Final Four is a big deal; surviving that many rounds in such a competitive tournament and being one of the last four standing is an incredible accomplishment.
It's also the mentality of an underachiever.

Champions should want to be the last one standing, not one of four.
Say that to a team like George Mason...I'm sure they don't feel they underachieved.
Good for them. As for the rest of the nation's ranked teams and powerhouse programs with legitimate championship hopes, they should be setting their sights on the title.

It's a great marketing tool and I have no problem with the NCAA pushing it as it currently does, but coaches and players? They should know better.

Making the Final Four is a big deal; surviving that many rounds in such a competitive tournament and being one of the last four standing is an incredible accomplishment.
It's also the mentality of an underachiever.

Champions should want to be the last one standing, not one of four.
Say that to a team like George Mason...I'm sure they don't feel they underachieved.
Good for them. As for the rest of the nation's ranked teams and powerhouse programs with legitimate championship hopes, they should be setting their sights on the title.

It's a great marketing tool and I have no problem with the NCAA pushing it as it currently does, but coaches and players? They should know better.

to be one of the four teams remaining in a 64 team tournament is impressive and deserves recognition. especially for teams that no one thought would get that far.

to be one of the four teams remaining in a 64 team tournament is impressive and deserves recognition. especially for teams that no one thought would get that far.

For most seniors the NCAA tourney is their last chance to achieve something great. think about how many guys can say they played college hoops, but verry verry few can ever say they got to be in the Final Four.

Even for great basketball players that go on to have great NBA careers only a select few can say they played in a final four. Its basketball in its purest form, players aren't getting paid to play, they're playing for pride, fighting for their school, and giving it everything they have to play another day.

Originally Posted by abutta13

That's not the issue that is being debated. It is a big accomplishment, but the OP wanted to know why the teams themselves set their ultimate goal as a Final Four berth rather than a national championship.

For most seniors the NCAA tourney is their last chance to achieve something great. think about how many guys can say they played college hoops, but verry verry few can ever say they got to be in the Final Four.

Even for great basketball players that go on to have great NBA careers only a select few can say they played in a final four. Its basketball in its purest form, players aren't getting paid to play, they're playing for pride, fighting for their school, and giving it everything they have to play another day.

That's not the issue that is being debated. It is a big accomplishment, but the OP wanted to know why the teams themselves set their ultimate goal as a Final Four berth rather than a national championship.

Originally Posted by MR J 858

This thread has FAIL written all over it.

It's like starting a thread and asking "Why do people still like and care about Baseball"
true, they're both valid questions to ask.
no sarcasm.
baseball is outdated

Originally Posted by MR J 858

This thread has FAIL written all over it.

It's like starting a thread and asking "Why do people still like and care about Baseball"
true, they're both valid questions to ask.
no sarcasm.
baseball is outdated

I'm pretty sure if you actually get to the Final Four then it would only be right to want to win it all.

But realistically how many teams actual goal is to win the championship, probably 25 outta 350+ schools? I'd say if you're outside of that circle then making it to a Final Four is a major accomplishment.

I'm pretty sure if you actually get to the Final Four then it would only be right to want to win it all.

But realistically how many teams actual goal is to win the championship, probably 25 outta 350+ schools? I'd say if you're outside of that circle then making it to a Final Four is a major accomplishment.

in addition to the whole media thing i would simply say its b/c its the 4 teams that made it out of their region/ regions bracket to play against eachother

so essentially the east, west, southeast and southwest winners

in addition to the whole media thing i would simply say its b/c its the 4 teams that made it out of their region/ regions bracket to play against eachother

so essentially the east, west, southeast and southwest winners

Originally Posted by friscostylez

Originally Posted by bilbo07

you win your bracket. its like winning your confrence in a pro sport.
sick.gif
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
u jelly cus i cracked the code? 
glasses.gif

The goal is to win the damn championship. What teams are you talking about?

of course the ultimate goal is to win it all im just sayin that making the final four is a somewhat big accomplishment which is why i think it is such a big deal to answer OP's question

of course the ultimate goal is to win it all im just sayin that making the final four is a somewhat big accomplishment which is why i think it is such a big deal to answer OP's question

Originally Posted by TonyReali

A lot of teams set the Final Four as their goal at the beginning of the season.

I'm sure that at this year's Final Four there will be a few coaches and/or players that will mention something like that.

Originally Posted by TonyReali

A lot of teams set the Final Four as their goal at the beginning of the season.

I'm sure that at this year's Final Four there will be a few coaches and/or players that will mention something like that.

Back
Top Bottom