Source: Yankees trade Montero to Mariners for Pineda

Source: Michael Pineda dealt to Yanks

ESPNNewYork.com

The New York Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for phenom pitcher Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

[h4]The 50 Greatest Yankees[/h4]
Choosing the 50 Greatest Yankees was a daunting task. ESPNNewYork.com rose to the challenge. Top 50 
photo.png
  Rank 'Em

The Yankees receive the 23-year-old Pineda after he went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA for the Mariners as a rookie last year.After an up-and-down year in Triple-A, Montero came up to the majors and showed off his electric bat. In 18 games, he hit .328 with four home runs and 28 RBIs. He was expected to be the Yankees designated hitter this season.While there are no questions about Montero's bat, there are some doubts on whether he can catch in the majors. The Yankees almost dealt Montero once before to the Mariners in a 2010 trade forCliff Lee. The trade fell through and the Mariners ended up sending Lee to the Texas Rangers.Pineda adds more youth to the Yankees' rotation behind CC Sabathia. After Pineda, the Yankees have Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes, who are both 25 years old.Hughes will likely have to compete with Freddy Garcia and A.J. Burnett for the fourth and fifth starter spots.

really? you expect me to highlight that to read it?
But ***$ the mariners, im tired of being a fan every year to be let down by upper management

I don't know how I feel about this

Then again I know nothing about Pineda

We did need pitching so
pimp.gif
I guess

dam i wanted to see montero hit in the bronx
30t6p3b.gif

mariners got a stud, aint crazy bout pineda but ....

Originally Posted by onewearz

dam i wanted to see montero hit in the bronx
30t6p3b.gif

mariners got a stud, aint crazy bout pineda but ....

I know....why couldn't we just give him a ***@@%# chance to hit.

I love this trade. Pineda will be a beast. Also picked up Kuroda who had a very nice season for the Dodgers last year.

Why didnt we just get rid of Cliff Lee last year for Montero?

That feels so #!% backwards

for the yankee fans who don't like this deal, i promise you will change your opinion. pineda was an all star last year and a straight beast.
I made a point to attend games he was pitching dude was amazing never seen somebody pitch like that.

I'm not happy about this trade, yes the yankees needed another front of the rotation starter but i'm not sure this guy is it....Pineda pitched great 1st half of the season and sucked the 2nd half was that fatigue or hitters figuring him out....most likely fatigue but also he pitched in a pitchers park...his era was 1.5 runs better at home than road.....if his era is not 3.75 or better this trade will be a bust......Montero reminds me of Manny, he has it...
yankees also signed Kuroda i like that pickup but not if hughes is not given another shot at starting.....i think yankees should dump Burnett and keep Garcia as insurance 

Originally Posted by Air273

I'm not happy about this trade, yes the yankees needed another front of the rotation starter but i'm not sure this guy is it....Pineda pitched great 1st half of the season and sucked the 2nd half was that fatigue or hitters figuring him out....most likely fatigue but also he pitched in a pitchers park...his era was 1.5 runs better at home than road.....if his era is not 3.75 or better this trade will be a bust......Montero reminds me of Manny, he has it...
yankees also signed Kuroda i like that pickup but not if hughes is not given another shot at starting.....i think yankees should dump Burnett and keep Garcia as insurance 
Garcia will be starting...Can't just dump AJ, wasn't bad down the stretch...

Jose Campos is a good piece too moving forward too.

CC, Kuroda, Pineda, Nova, Hughes / Garcia / AJ

What you think AJ thinks of all this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNSnROSES

Pitching Wins Championships. Mariners and A's are ran so poorly

atleast the A's have an excuse with being dirt poor. the mariners on the other hand have all the money to sign the guys that texas, boston, new york, LA does but they decide every year in the world is a rebuilding year

Damn the Mariners have a bunch of really good prospects. Wasted all my man Ichiro's prime though.....

Montero would have raked at the Stadium too 
30t6p3b.gif

ohwell.gif

Pineda definitely has potential, and could/should fill the void at #2 in the rotation.

5 years of contract control over a 22 year old pure power ace with control who had xFIPs of 3.51 at home and 3.55 away. Montero will be great, but the Yanks won.

sick.gif

And some of you guys laughed at me when I said Montero for Lincecum was laughable and an instant decline from the Giants end.

laugh.gif

I don't know why everyone instantly thinks this is a lose for the M's. Hard to see him go, but the Mariners are stacked at pitcher on the farm and they desperately, DESPERATELY need a big time bat.

Felix Hernandez is only 25 and they have some studs to bring up yet. I think both teams won. That might change, but right now it's fine.

So much for Edwin Jackson. 
laugh.gif

Great move by the Yankees, this is the type of power play we've come to expect from the Bronx Bombers. Pineda is a stud, although I know many Yanks fans aren't necessarily happy to see Montero leave. 

In addition, Kuroda will give good innings. 

Back
Top Bottom