Starting a corporate job at 28 any advice ?

Im 22, corporate for about 3 years, im working completely behind the scenes and only know corporate from that PoV so I wouldn't care if you came in wearing slides to be honest.

But I am the only person of color in the building I work in and can assure you they'd feel some type of way. Im in the midwest, so that's where I draw my position from.

Wouldn't be surprised if you could pull it off in more liberal areas but these conservative dudes still come to work with tucked-in collared polos when our dress code is, 'wear pants.'

damn.

im in the south too.

im only in my early 20's and still in school so a few years off from it being a factor but any advice on freeform dreads in corporate settings?

am i gonna have to cut it off/down to a fro or do people generally not care?

i have somethimg like this and want to keep them at this length for the foreseeable future.

hqdefault.jpg

f933ae244533f20727d0daba173128b8--j-cole-hair-jermaine-cole.jpg

I think it just depends on where you work. I work at a rather conservative company (but we're in a liberal area) and they've hired dreadheads, tattoed folks, etc with no problem. Several members of management have visible tattoos but nothing too insane. I grew an massive afro out for a year to no complaint, and this other dude constantly alternated between a curly Hendrix fro and cornrows.
We just hired a guy with a Viking beard and a man bun.

Meanwhile my mom was turned down for a job at this one company after extensive interviews and a verbal offer. The explanation was that she was not a "cultural fit". She has natural hair.

From what I understand from an industry perspective, and I could be wrong, but in tech they give very little dambs

1. Observe the culture, the people and environment. Learn how to navigate through it all without getting caught up in it.
2. Documentation is key. Make sure to document everything you do using email etc.
3. Show your ability, but don't overplay your hand. You're new and if your supervisor is one of those jealous types and sees that you have ability they, they will try to limit your opportunity. One without the other is a waste.
4. Use this as a stepping stone and don't get comfortable. Always look for new opportunities of growth and progress.
5. Best of luck.

im only in my early 20's and still in school so a few years off from it being a factor but any advice on freeform dreads in corporate settings?

i have somethimg like this and want to keep them at this length for the foreseeable future.

hqdefault.jpg

That's not a good look. Get your hair done if you are going for the dreaded look in a conservative, corporate setting.

Care about your job and work product, but don't get wrapped up in the "job is life" mentality some people have. At the end of the day, they'll let you go at the drop of a hat and it's not worth stressing to the point your health deteriorates. Interact with your co-workers, but don't give too many details about your private life or side hustles outside of work. Be prepared for less talented/intelligent people to get promoted over you or someone else.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Make sure you have a nice supply of quality professional clothes to wear, nice button ups and dress pants unless you don't need to be that formal. Khakis and a button up until you find out what is or isn't allowed at work. Also later on down the line, find out which people have the bosses ear and which ones you can ignore.

Kissing *** is real. Seen it happen too many times.
Yeah, unfortunately it is.

Work hard at your job, take pride in the work you do (whether its a small or big task), meet your deadlines, and importantly, be professional.

Let your work speak for you. Don't kiss ***

My workplace is rather lax on clothing. We are major non profit but very mixed culturally.

I stay fresh while
Others where plaid shirts and boot cut pants. Or long polos and dirty sneakers.

Most think I am more important than I really am which is dope becuase of my get up.

Oh nice shoes are a must. I stay getting compliments on the shoes.

I don't get how people be sloppy at work. Is 10 minutes to iron your fit that strenuous?

Especially in the middle of the week. Middle of the week happy hour/work events are dangerous.

I had to go to one Wednesday and you always have to be on your toes.

Been to a few of these and you see people calling out the next day who are Analyst/Associate level and it doesn't look good at all.

Prepare to be annoyed by the lack of common sense and following non sense rules instead. The money they waste will blow your mind. I worked one corporate job in my life and dipped after three months.

Good luck man, if you hate it just stay to build your resume and leave as soon as you find a job working for a small company. I used to do my own thing too and the corporate thing just wasn't for me. I make more money now and have better benefits working for a tiny company and can do whatever I want as long as I get my job done. They also are teaching me the game so one day I can do my own thing if I want.

If you love it great, if you hate it just use the experience and move on.

IMG_1283.GIF

Especially in the middle of the week. Middle of the week happy hour/work events are dangerous.

I had to go to one Wednesday and you always have to be on your toes.

Been to a few of these and you see people calling out the next day who are Analyst/Associate level and it doesn't look good at all.

I just show up a bit late the next day.

That's probably worse though.

Lot of good advice in here. I'm 33 now and I have been working in Corporate since i graduated college at 22. I'll just quickly throw in my 2 cents.

People think working in corporate is like the evil empire. And it definitely isn't for everyone. However, there are a tremendous amount of benefits, especially in regards to resume building and learning. You get back what you put in as long as you work hard towards it. I started out as a basic analyst and worked my way up the ladder through self learning and networking with good managers. Today, I hold a very strong position that manages the entire US and am about 5 years away from being a vice president. In addition, good companies are very generous in terms of benefits and such. I'm going to be doing my MBA program in the fall which my company will be paying for. Health benefits are very good, 401k obviously. My retirement outlook is looking very strong. And lots of company perks.

And it's not like you're locked in an office from 9-5 that most people perceive it to be. As long as you have good managers, they understand your personal life. Sometimes, I'll need to step away to handle personal business and they are absolutely fine with that (doesn't cut into my personal vacation time). I've been fortunate enough to where my companies have compensated me very well for salary to where I own a few homes and cars now. In a nutshell, I'm living a pretty comfortable life at the moment through my hard work at corporate jobs.

In Summary: make sure you take advantage of the opportunity, show willingness to learn and better yourself for your position, company and just yourself in life. In corporate jobs, you have an opportunity to learn A LOT. And make sure you network with the right people because it will pay dividends in the end. If you do all these things, it will work out in the end.

My boss takes us, the finance team, out occasionally for lunch and I be wanting to drink. But it's like no one else does. Plus it wouldn't go o the company card I would have to foot the bill. They all cool it's just weird drinking a henny mojito with ya boss looking at you. And she's dope as **** but nah.

Calling out the morning after happy hour? Savage

It happens. Remember the next day after work, this girl kept talking about how hungover she was. We work at trading desks, so everyone can hear your conversation if you aren't whispering.

Another bit of advice I wanted to share because this happened recently. Don't show up anyone during a meeting or presentation. Two of my teammates were presenting a project they had worked on for about a month and the guy mentioned earlier in the thread was being a **** for no reason trying show how smart he was. You could cut the tension with a knife. I spoke to one of them this morning and she was still fuming at what he did. It's not a good look and can cause friction.

hqdefault.jpg

You want the job or the dreads? Because I can guarantee an equal candidate to you on paper is going to come in to the interview without them.

did u quit yet OP?

if its not in finance not sure why anyn e works big corporate jobs.

You want the job or the dreads? Because I can guarantee an equal candidate to you on paper is going to come in to the interview without them.

why is it such a big deal though?

if i can do my job and go home why does it matter whats on my head?

It happens. Remember the next day after work, this girl kept talking about how hungover she was. We work at trading desks, so everyone can hear your conversation if you aren't whispering.

Another bit of advice I wanted to share because this happened recently. Don't show up anyone during a meeting or presentation. Two of my teammates were presenting a project they had worked on for about a month and the guy mentioned earlier in the thread was being a **** for no reason trying show how smart he was. You could cut the tension with a knife. I spoke to one of them this morning and she was still fuming at what he did. It's not a good look and can cause friction.
I seen this happen to somoene first hand. Dude went out drank and then called out talmbout he's sick with the flu. Long story short, he no longer works for the organization.

Back
Top Bottom