Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

^ Just cant afford it haha..

But yeah Durden, is it hard to build muscle on low-carbs?

Cut back from 2x a month? Whats the reasoning for this? 2x a month for red meat isnt bad at alll.
Heck, 2x a week for red meat would be acceptable IMO.
laugh.gif
I try to cut back on red meat as well and go for white meat and fish, iesalmons...not sharks or anything that pray on other fishes since they are more likely to contain higher amount of Mercury.

Originally Posted by I3

Totally. Its the biggest source of energy in the body. A reduction is carbs creates a lack of mental focus, decreased energy, glycogen storesare reduced and water is lost. 130g prevents protein sparing and ketosis so anything "low-carb" needs to be above that to be effective.

Ive never done anything low-carb, I just cant get myself to not eat noodles,bagels, and cereal. I'll take a few excess lbs for the energy. It's afair trade in my eyes.

I'm not too familiar with some of the exercises posted on the 1st page. Anybody has videos on some of them?

taking the week off its been about three months since ive taken a break you guess think i should cut back on eating some so far as carbs cals ect since im notworking out this week?

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by I3

Totally. Its the biggest source of energy in the body. A reduction is carbs creates a lack of mental focus, decreased energy, glycogen stores are reduced and water is lost. 130g prevents protein sparing and ketosis so anything "low-carb" needs to be above that to be effective.

Ive never done anything low-carb, I just cant get myself to not eat noodles,bagels, and cereal. I'll take a few excess lbs for the energy. It's a fair trade in my eyes.

Awesome. Yeah besides, most of the extra lbs would be water weight I guess.

And lack of Carbs also increases catabolism is that correct? Where the body feeds of muscle for energy?

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity23

HIIT, can become boring real fast, if you have access to a pool, i would use swimming as an alternative.

slow lap
fast lap
etc...

plus... swimming burns way more calories than running and works all muscle group.
Source? When I injured my foot during sparring, I swam for a while as an alternative. I found nothing but contradicting studies.
i would imagine that it does. swimming (or trying to swim
embarassed.gif
... i can't really tread water but i can freestyle alright) always drains my energy. plus every time i see a comparison of calories burned perhour, swimming is almost always at the top of the list.

incorporating it into HIIT is difficult though, because it's a lot harder to maintain efforts that would put you near VO2 max if you have to pace yourbreathing. i think most people would find it easier to reach and maintain 80-90% output in a running sprint compared to a swimming sprint, not because runningsprints are easier, but because you can move a lot more air into your lungs.

Fats are good, but high fat and high carb don't work well together. You need to pick one source of fuel for your body. Going higher fat while getting carbs from fruits and vegetables isn't a bad idea, especially if you're looking for losing fat. Basically, just cut out grains and starchy veggies for a while and see how you react. Keto isn't good for your body in the long run. You can do 'low carb' by just avoiding grains and starches which is basically great for losing fat and gaining muscle.
"Fats burn in a carbohydrate flame" though. They need each other to be effective. One can be reduced, but obviously not by a massive amount.

Consume 130g of carbohydrates a day to avoid ketosis. Thats as low as many people would recommend on a low carb diet.

Definitely. You need both because both are vital to bodily functions.
I've always heard 50 grams and under gets you into ketosis. That's interesting. I've done days of high fat with just nuts, avocados, seeds,coconuts, and a load of veggies and I never feel horrible when I do it, but the morning after, my breath stinks. That's because of the ketones. I'vejust recently figured that out, and now I'm trying to find the right balance of carbs and fats.

I would love if some of you could critique my eating habits:

Breakfast: Low suger instant oatmeal, glass of orange juice.

Lunch: grilled chicken wrap, vegetable medley (peas,roasted potatoes,red peppers) and a propel to drink.

Dinner (preworkout meal): two eggs, two pieces of whole grain toast with a glass of orange juice to drink

post workout meal: banana
-------------

and that is pretty much my eating plan Monday-Friday. Am I not getting in enough calories? Should I add some snacks in there?

Thanks

Originally Posted by FrankDolla

I've cut out unnecessary snacks, I no longer eat red meat or pork. I also stopped eating after 7pm and realized that I'm never really hungry after that time and I was just eating to eat instead of nourishment. I'll be joining a gym soon and I'll be back to get some tips.
What time do you go to sleep, your body still needs something to burn while you sleep. Or else it will hold on to fats. I think its its like 2 to3 hours before you go to bed.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

Originally Posted by dead in 09

Question for people that do HIIT...

what's better:

Jog for 30 seconds then sprint for 30 seconds.

or

Jog for 1 minute then sprint for 30 seconds.
IMO, I'd say you should walk instead of jog.

That way, you get more out of your sprint.
Its up to you man. Both are decent. But if i were to do it out of the two options you listed id do the latter. Jog to get your heartbeat right,then sprint to burn extra cals and get your body excited, instead of just 30 mins of the same pace. I do like 4 laps jog, and sprint for one, then another 4sprint for one, then i do some backwards running. It feels amazing.

Wow new thread? Can we ban Joe Camel and Dark Chocolate from this thread?

But yea just did my workout and I feel great...I actually finished and 5 min later I felt like I could do it all again...and don't tell me i didnt pushmyself
laugh.gif

I'm gonna just throw it out there, hope no one gets offended but whole foods after a workout > than supplements.

I apologize to those who feel hurt.

Would it be a good idea to eat just nuts, fruits, and vegtables for a while, will I lose weight quicker or will it be a bad idea?

Someone mentioned a 100% whole wheat bagel with peanut butter can that be eaten daily with what I mentioned above to prevent keto?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by saxman2112

Originally Posted by CaponeCartels

Hopping in this. I actually just got back from the gym. Wasn't nearly as productive as I would have liked, but I'm still recovering from Saturday's deadlifting.
I hated doing them at first, but after a while they became my favorite.
What's your max?
I haven't maxed out in a long time (mainly because I haven't lifted in...oh, let's call it a year and a half), but my work sets were 3x5 @ 185 lbs, if that gives you any indication.
Pretty good. My max (when I was actually in in shape)
was 305.

I'm not too familiar with some of the exercises posted on the 1st page. Anybody has videos on some of them?
Which ones aren't you t oo sure about?

And lack of Carbs also increases catabolism is that correct? Where the body feeds of muscle for energy?
Yeah, protein sparing. If there arent enough carbohydrates in the body, it turns protein sources into carb sources thus decreasing the amount ofprotein being used for muscles,repair, so on and so on...

THis should be in S&T not general
Itmoves quicker in general, gets more people in general, and general has more people looking to lose weight/get in better shape than in S&T. Those team threads clutter everything up.

But yea just did my workout and I feel great...I actually finished and 5 min later I felt like I could do it all again...and don't tell me i didnt push myself
laugh.gif

I'm gonna just throw it out there, hope no one gets offended but whole foods after a workout > than supplements.

laugh.gif
It was the lack of respect and childish arguement thatmake it bad.

Most people here agree that whole foods are better than supplements so you wont find backlash about that.

Would it be a good idea to eat just nuts, fruits, and vegtables for a while, will I lose weight quicker or will it be a bad idea?

Someone mentioned a 100% whole wheat bagel with peanut butter can that be eaten daily with what I mentioned above to prevent keto?

Thanks.
Yeah as long as youre getting enough calories consumed in a day. I wouldnt eat SOLELY those items, but replace them with unhealthy foods you eatnow and it'll work wonders.
Yeah the bagel+PB can be eaten daily. Just that wont prevent ketosis, but its a lot of carbs so odds are with the other foods eaten during the day youll bewell above that 130g limit.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity23

HIIT, can become boring real fast, if you have access to a pool, i would use swimming as an alternative.

slow lap
fast lap
etc...

plus... swimming burns way more calories than running and works all muscle group.
Source? When I injured my foot during sparring, I swam for a while as an alternative. I found nothing but contradicting studies.
i would imagine that it does. swimming (or trying to swim
embarassed.gif
... i can't really tread water but i can freestyle alright) always drains my energy. plus every time i see a comparison of calories burned per hour, swimming is almost always at the top of the list.

incorporating it into HIIT is difficult though, because it's a lot harder to maintain efforts that would put you near VO2 max if you have to pace your breathing. i think most people would find it easier to reach and maintain 80-90% output in a running sprint compared to a swimming sprint, not because running sprints are easier, but because you can move a lot more air into your lungs.
[font=Arial][size=2]http://sportsil...e/magazine/MAG1155395/index.htm[/size][/font]
Code:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/arts/dance/09kour.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=New%20Leaps%20in%20Research%20on%20Injuries&st=cse
Did you read them?

Which ones aren't you t oo sure about?

Yeah, protein sparing. If there arent enough carbohydrates in the body, it turns protein sources into carb sources thus decreasing the amount of protein being used for muscles,repair, so on and so on...

THis should be in S&T not general
Itmoves quicker in general, gets more people in general, and general has more people looking to lose weight/get in better shape than in S&T. Those team threads clutter everything up.

But yea just did my workout and I feel great...I actually finished and 5 min later I felt like I could do it all again...and don't tell me i didnt push myself
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
It was the lack of respect and childish arguement that make it bad.

Most people here agree that whole foods are better than supplements so you wont find backlash about that.

Thanks.
Yeah as long as youre getting enough calories consumed in a day. I wouldnt eat SOLELY those items, but replace them with unhealthy foods you eat now and it'll work wonders.
Yeah the bagel+PB can be eaten daily. Just that wont prevent ketosis, but its a lot of carbs so odds are with the other foods eaten during the day youll be well above that 130g limit.

I would like to apologize to you, as I didn't mean to come off that way. But when people who don't know try and act like they do, it irksthe hell outta me! You seem to know your stuff, no beef with you. My thing on the other thread, well, I should have posted the links, then shut the hell up!

Hopping in this. I actually just got back from the gym. Wasn't nearly as productive as I would have liked, but I'm still recovering from Saturday's deadlifting.
I hated doing them at first, but after a while they became my favorite.
What's your max?
I haven't maxed out in a long time (mainly because I haven't lifted in...oh, let's call it a year and a half), but my work sets were 3x5 @ 185 lbs, if that gives you any indication.
Pretty good. My max (when I was actually in in shape)
was 305.
Dear God, 305? I've got a lot of work to do.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dead in 09

I would love if some of you could critique my eating habits:

Breakfast: Low suger instant oatmeal, glass of orange juice.

Lunch: grilled chicken wrap, vegetable medley (peas,roasted potatoes,red peppers) and a propel to drink.

Dinner (preworkout meal): two eggs, two pieces of whole grain toast with a glass of orange juice to drink

post workout meal: banana
-------------

and that is pretty much my eating plan Monday-Friday. Am I not getting in enough calories? Should I add some snacks in there?

Thanks

Umm your eating is pretty good but i'll only put in how I would change it

Breakfast...oatmeal is great, if you want to change it up you can try organic oatmeal and flaxseeds which is made by this company called greenway, it'spretty damn good. But I can't mess with orange juice at all because I have a bad acid problem.

Lunch...I would ditch the wrap, that enriched wheat flour is gonna slow you down...I can only speak from experience but I gave up 90% of foods that containenriched wheat flour and I stopped feeling sluggish. I would just eat some rice, maybe brown rice, or cous cous or quinoa, your good on your vegetable medleybut I would ditch the propel. I would trade your breakfast oj for water and drink oj with your lunch because its a bigger meal and the acid from the oj willhelp break down the meal faster for absorbtion.

I do preworkout meals about 2 hours before my workout which usually is vegetables, beans and rice and some chicken with water. Its not a big portion either sothat It gets digested faster because I dont want it to zap energy i need for the workout

After the workout though I really cant just eat a banana, I would eat those eggs from the preworkout meal as part of my post workout meal because they are aslow digesting protien which will help me through the night as I sleep, with some vegetables and some rice or cous cous for carbs...you need those carbs.

I would def add some snacks between each meal, like some almonds which are great for energy, or like me I eat sun chips when I'm at school although itmight not be the best snack its still some needed calories.

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

I would like to apologize to you, as I didn't mean to come off that way. But when people who don't know try and act like they do, it irks the hell outta me! You seem to know your stuff, no beef with you. My thing on the other thread, well, I should have posted the links, then shut the hell up!
It's all cool. Im all for open discussion and differing opinions. It makes for good conversation flow and an increase in knowledge. Its thechildish stuff and name calling that makes it unbearable. Different opinions are great, if its handled maturely.

All good though.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

laugh.gif

I agree with you on whole foods. Any info that I posted on that other thread can be researched, then scientifically proven to be accurate. .

Back
Top Bottom