Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Last meal of the day.... 60ml of olive oil (45g of fat)
For some reason, my diet has little to no fats when I'm eating well. Avocados go bad soo damn fast, and almonds are dry as HELL

tired.gif

you ain't lying.

i put them in the fridge and they seem to last a couple days longer.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

That's where supplements come in.
There's a limit to how much can be supplemented. Cost, availability, and knowledge about proper supplementation can limit someone. I'd hate to have to take 30 pills a day when all it would take is a few more dollars to get more nutrient rich food. There are countless nutrients involved and it's all individual. Unless you're getting your food analyzed at a lab, chances are you won't know what nutrients are missing either. At that point, the cost almost balances out anyway. Sure, you could take fish oil, probiotics, multi vitamin, certain minerals, etc. but it's a lot of work and extra cost. For the cost you could probably find some higher quality food. Don't get me wrong, supplementation is very useful, but getting more humanely raised, nutrient-rich food is a better choice.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

That's where supplements come in.
There's a limit to how much can be supplemented. Cost, availability, and knowledge about proper supplementation can limit someone. I'd hate to have to take 30 pills a day when all it would take is a few more dollars to get more nutrient rich food. There are countless nutrients involved and it's all individual. Unless you're getting your food analyzed at a lab, chances are you won't know what nutrients are missing either. At that point, the cost almost balances out anyway. Sure, you could take fish oil, probiotics, multi vitamin, certain minerals, etc. but it's a lot of work and extra cost. For the cost you could probably find some higher quality food. Don't get me wrong, supplementation is very useful, but getting more humanely raised, nutrient-rich food is a better choice.

"The debate about the advantages of organic foods is over. According to a new $25-million study into organic food - the largest of its kind to date - organic food is more nutritious than ordinary produce and it may help to lengthen peoples lives and prevent disease.
[h4]More Nutrients[/h4]
The European Union funded study found that organic fruit and vegetables have up to 50% more antioxidants, which scientists believe can cut the risk of cancer and heart disease. They have also more vitamins and minerals such as iron and zinc.

According to other recent studies, organic foods are better for fighting cancer. And people eating organic food have improved immune system, better sleeping habits and are less likely to be overweight than when eating "conventional" foods. (Can you imagine the benefits of eating both raw and organic food?)"

I have been doing P90x for a while. I don't watch the dvds anymore because they are boring. What I did is write down all the exercises and do them on my own so I can jam to my favorite songs instead of listening to Tony's lame jokes.
I would like to know what NTers think about p90x vs. Insanity.
Would you guys recommend doing Insanity? What is Insanity best for? In terms of fitness? Getting lean or ???

If this helps: My goal is to lose a lot of fat. Get to 15% BF then get definition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
pimp.gif

Finally benched 185 8 times today. I had resistance the past few weeks getting more than 6. I usually lift 165 x 8, 175 x 8, and 185 to fail, but tonight I got 8. Then did 195 x 3. Felt good man.

Also maxed at 225 last week. That's a new personal record for me. I slowed down lifting big time in college and just got back at it this past January. I could hardly lift 135 four months ago. I felt like such a !#@%%.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Reeuke

I have been doing P90x for a while. I don't watch the dvds anymore because they are boring. What I did is write down all the exercises and do them on my own so I can jam to my favorite songs instead of listening to Tony's lame jokes.
I would like to know what NTers think about p90x vs. Insanity.
Would you guys recommend doing Insanity? What is Insanity best for? In terms of fitness? Getting lean or ???

If this helps: My goal is to lose a lot of fat. Get to 15% BF then get definition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
pimp.gif
Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to do what keeps you motivated. I did P90x for a good minute, but after awhile I was missing the free weights and even P90x became boring, so I would never look forward to working out.

Now, I'm back at the gym and I do P90x some days to keep things changing. I would say look into Insanity and see how you like it. Just keep yourself moving so you don't lose motivation. Stopping a program for something new, yet still working out, is better than sticking with a program until it gets boring and then having to re-motivate yourself all over again months later.  

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Finally benched 185 8 times today. I had resistance the past few weeks getting more than 6. I usually lift 165 x 8, 175 x 8, and 185 to fail, but tonight I got 8. Then did 195 x 3. Felt good man.

Also maxed at 225 last week. That's a new personal record for me. I slowed down lifting big time in college and just got back at it this past January. I could hardly lift 135 four months ago. I felt like such a !#@%%.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
Are you benching solo or with a spotter? What does you warm up look like?
So, the way you progress personally is to just add reps to the top weight?

Also curious as to the rest of your workout? After 185x8 did you drop weight and rep out? Head to the dumbbells? 

I've been working out for a while and I decided to gain a little. I'm finally seeing great results and my chest,arms,back etc look great but my stomach area is a mess. Mind you I always had a perfect set of abs but bulking messed me up. I want to keep my body the same but tone up my abs and obliques. Is cardio, diet and continuing to work out going to solve this without me losing my mass up top??

So i squatted 2x my weight today.. wasn't as low as I wanted - but ill take it!

How the $*%% do those chinese squatters get that 'bounce' on the way up? %@$* I wanna get lower on lets say 100kg squat

Anyone else work out on an empty stomach? I usually wake up at 9/930am play ball till 1130 or so and then eat.

Is this necessarily bad?

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Anyone else work out on an empty stomach? I usually wake up at 9/930am play ball till 1130 or so and then eat.

Is this necessarily bad?

as soon as i wake up i usually eat a bannana, or apple it helps to give energy. Also what are you guys stance on bread? ive been eating the whole grain with no corn syrup in it pretty sparingly.. should i cut bread completely out of my diet? 

Is this necessarily bad?

Always try to get food in you before you train. I eat 30-45 min before I go to lift. Usually a small meal. Food is fuel, and you need it to train.

Brett get a spotter and load up the weight on the bb chest press, shock the heck out of em.
You'll be benching 225 + in no time

Is this necessarily bad?
yea you dont have as much energy. i usually eat some oatmeal before working out

It is at the golds and ymca here. Then again, there are at least 6 flat benches at both places so there's really no excuse for that.

Is this necessarily bad
I prefer to do physical activity on an empty stomach most of the time. If you've got the energy and stay hydrated, there's no problem. The idea that you have to eat before doing physical activity is laughable to me. Running a marathon might warrant a meal, but playing basketball for a few hours doesn't necessarily have to. Drink water and have fun.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Is this necessarily bad
I prefer to do physical activity on an empty stomach most of the time. If you've got the energy and stay hydrated, there's no problem. The idea that you have to eat before doing physical activity is laughable to me. Running a marathon might warrant a meal, but playing basketball for a few hours doesn't necessarily have to. Drink water and have fun.

Really?

I dont think I could ever play basketball or workout on an empty stomach.  I dont need to eat right before either activity, but if im hungry then theres no way I could do it.

3 hours post prandial?  Yeah.  5?  Nahh.

what do yall do to hit rear delts? i have back day and usually try to hit rears during these workouts.
lately i've done reverse flies (db and cable)... but i need some variety

as long as my stomach isn't grumbling constantly, then its fine with me, other than that, it just distracts me from my workout.

since were talking about benching, my workout.

Monday Reg. Bench 4x8 at ~75-80% of my max. With 3x12 of ~60-65% of my max, (205)
Tuesday usually no chest
Wednesday is my normal off day of no lifting at all
Thursday is main benching day
65% x6
75% x6
80% x5
85% x4
90% x3
95% x2
every other week i get up to my max
then drop it down to
60% x10
70% x10

usually do that pyramid twice.

Friday: Incline DB/BB bench (alternate each week with those)
65% of max 3x12

Originally Posted by Durden7

Really?

I dont think I could ever play basketball or workout on an empty stomach.  I dont need to eat right before either activity, but if im hungry then theres no way I could do it.

3 hours post prandial?  Yeah.  5?  Nahh.

It's individual though. I wouldn't want to eat a meal and go play ball or workout 10 minutes later. Sometimes I don't have enough energy so I eat and wait a while. But the notion that eating will give you energy right away doesn't make sense to me. As if digestion only takes a minute. Depends on the activity and intensity for me. I wouldn't go for a PR when I'm feeling tired.

durden, check this out, I think you'll like it: http://www.rumbleroller.com/
Foam rollers aren't doing it for me anymore. Baseballs against the wall are helpful for me now, but I'm really interested in this rumble roller.

Back
Top Bottom