Steve Nash Named GM of Basketball Canada

Rejoice!
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Steve Nash Named New General Manager Of Basketball Canada[/h1]
CP | By The Canadian PressPosted: 05/08/2012 12:11 pm Updated: 05/08/2012 1:02 pm

r-STEVE-NASH-GM-BASKETBALL-CANADA-large570.jpg

TORONTO - Canada's biggest basketball star has been hired to head the country's men's national program.

Steve Nash was named general manager of Canada Basketball's senior men's team Tuesday.

The sport's national governing body has had the two-time NBA MVP from Victoria in its sights for some time to lead a program that hasn't made an Olympic appearance since the 2000 Games in Sydney.

Nash helped Canada to a seventh-place finish in Sydney, with Jay Triano as coach.

"This program has meant so much to me," Nash told an afternoon news conference at Air Canada Centre. "I owe a lot of my development to the program and feel that the success I've had in my career is in large part due to my time with the national team."

Despite his success as a pro, Nash says his fondest memories remain with Canadian teammates.

"Playing for Canada at the Olympics was the greatest experience of my career, bar-none," he said. "It's no secret what this country means to me and to be a part of Canada Basketball again is a huge honour and pleasure.

"Now the work starts."

The men's team has been without a head coach since Leo Rautins resigned in September following Canada's disappointing performance at the FIBA Americas Olympic qualifying tournament.

Rowan Barrett was also hired Tuesday and will serve as Nash's assistant general manager.

Canada's women's team also hasn't played in the Olympics since Sydney, but still have a chance to qualify for the 2012 London Games.

They'll play in a last-chance qualifying tournament next month in Turkey.

The 38-year-old Nash was already a member of Canada Basketball's Council of Excellence.

Good look 
pimp.gif
 Already attracting a lot of talent towards Canadian basketball. 2016 Senior team will be a problem.

Originally Posted by jolly2

Good look 
pimp.gif
 Already attracting a lot of talent towards Canadian basketball. 2016 Senior team will be a problem.
Hope so. We haven't fielded a respectable squad since, what, Sydney?

Love this decision, and congrats to Rowan Barrett. Gotta start where you had success in the past, like this move.

Back
Top Bottom