STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON MOVIE RELEASE DATE 8/14/2015

Saw it last night bruhh it was top notch the dude that played E I hope he has more opportunities on the table

Dude that played eazy e... From New Orleans worked at a seafood restaurant.. Told us a couple of months ago that he's going to start doing acting classes and everybody laughed at him .. Look at him now wow

Dude that played eazy e... From New Orleans worked at a seafood restaurant.. Told us a couple of months ago that he's going to start doing acting classes and everybody laughed at him .. Look at him now wow

Love hearing stuff like this :smokin way to go!

Didn't know Contraband came out a couple months ago...

Mitchell took acting classes with actress Jaqueline Fleming at Jaq's Acting Studio in New Orleans. After a few classes, Jaq introduced Jason to Toshia Smith-Mills with Talent Connexion. Wich led to roles in the films Contraband and Broken City, both of which starred Mark Wahlberg. In 2015, Mitchell played Compton rapper Eazy-E in the biopic Straight Outta Compton.

Good try tho :smokin

Last edited:
10 hours till show time
smokin.gif

Still nitpickin in here I see. Yall need to go be pro film critics then sheesh...
."..look it's the new era logo..."
"Aww man he got on a swingman jersey"
"Naw her hairstyle is wrong"

LOL like c mom Yall. Jus enjoy a great piece of work wit great portrayal of an influential group of its time...

Still nitpickin in here I see. Yall need to go be pro film critics then sheesh...

LOL like c mom Yall. Jus enjoy a great piece of work wit great portrayal of an influential group of its time...

Problem is, there are people involved with the production side of movies where that IS their job, specifically. To make sure that stuff is accurate. There really is no excuse for 1986 Eazy to be rocking a White Sox logo that didn't exist until 1991. It might be nitpicking, but if you lived through that era, it stuck out like a sore thumb. Especially when there are people who are paid to get that stuff right.

Peace,
J

I keep reading that it's hard to put 10 years into 2 hours of film. Posters are saying that and even Gary, Cube and Dre say this. To me that's an excuse and it's basically admitting that their film ain't all that unknowingly. Eg. "Well it wasn't as good because we only had 2 hours to work with to cover 10 years of material." To me, that's just poor directing and editing. I mean look at Scorsese and all his based on true story films. Goodfellas and Raging Bull are masterpieces with a runtime of under 2:30. It's the director's job to put all that material and cram it into film cohesively and completely. Sounds like Gary failed to do this.

Problem is, there are people involved with the production side of movies where that IS their job, specifically. To make sure that stuff is accurate. There really is no excuse for 1986 Eazy to be rocking a White Sox logo that didn't exist until 1991. It might be nitpicking, but if you lived through that era, it stuck out like a sore thumb. Especially when there are people who are paid to get that stuff right.

Peace,
J

Right. It's the same thing that happened in Notorious. Just lazy on hip hop biopics to not get thus right. Even television movies like the Temptations made sure audiences were in era specific clothing.

Last edited:

Peace,
J
I did live thru the era but it didn't stick out to me. For me, I was focused on the characters and their dialogue and acting. Not which version hat they had on. Not what version jersey they had on. I'm sure trying to find a bunch of pieces that's accurate with the 80s would be some what time consuming and simply not worth it when it's a jus hat or whatever else Yall saw. Now when the dvd comes out and I'm watchin different things over and over I may notice small imperfections but it's not a stain on a great piece of work.

They should have got John Singleton instead of Gary. Gary has no classics except for "Friday" but that's a comedy.

I did live thru the era but it didn't stick out to me. For me, I was focused on the characters and their dialogue and acting. Not which version hat they had on. Not what version jersey they had on. I'm sure trying to find a bunch of pieces that's accurate with the 80s would be some what time consuming and simply not worth it when it's a jus hat or whatever else Yall saw. Now when the dvd comes out and I'm watchin different things over and over I may notice small imperfections but it's not a stain on a great piece of work.

I hear ya. I really, REALLY enjoyed this movie. And I totally agree with you on it being hard to track down period specific wardrobe pieces, but New Era makes period specific hats right now. Down to the right color of material under the bill. That one should have been a no-brainer. Like therealrell therealrell said, when you have TV movies that can get things super accurate, something with this kind of budget has no excuse.

All that said, it didn't take away from me really digging this movie. It was more of a SMH moment for me. Like a mental "awww c'mon y'all." And you know good and well if one of those dudes showed up wearing some XI's in some scene that was supposed to be 1989, you would've had the same reaction haha :tongue:

Peace,
J

And you know good and well if one of those dudes showed up wearing some XI's in some scene that was supposed to be 1989, you would've had the same reaction haha :tongue:

Peace,
J
LOL, you ain't never lied my man...

I haven't seen the movie yet (going later today) but from reading comments and people thoughts about NWA in general, [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]. Damn shame, I can tell by the comments what kind of area you grew up in, what music you consider to be "hot", and your age. The one dude said NWA didn't have to be so negative, smh. Obviously the idea of what music/art actually is has been lost on the younger generation, and it's mostly because their heads are being filled with this garbage of today.

They should have got John Singleton instead of Gary. Gary has no classics except for "Friday" but that's a comedy.

Set It Off?

Repped

I didnt go into Ray looking a Jamie Foxx like man those style of Ray Bans he has playing Ray Charles wasnt produced with that cut until the year 1995 and so on

if you walk into a biopic with that mentality you might as well walk out the movie because im sure I can point out something in 90% of biopics out there

I keep reading that it's hard to put 10 years into 2 hours of film. Posters are saying that and even Gary, Cube and Dre say this. To me that's an excuse and it's basically admitting that their film ain't all that unknowingly. Eg. "Well it wasn't as good because we only had 2 hours to work with to cover 10 years of material." To me, that's just poor directing and editing. I mean look at Scorsese and all his based on true story films. Goodfellas and Raging Bull are masterpieces with a runtime of under 2:30. It's the director's job to put all that material and cram it into film cohesively and completely. Sounds like Gary failed to do this.

NWA is special because it involves the start and high point of so many careers that still are relevant today so its kind of its own enemy

no way someone can make film spanning from the 80s to 90s with the careers of:

Dre
Eazy
Ice Cube
The DOC
Yella
Ren
Jerry
Public Enemy
Bone
Snoop
Suge
Dre
Death Row

and make it work within 2 hours

sorry

only way it would work is if the split it into 2 films... The start of NWA... The aftermath of Dre and Deathrow Cube and PE and Eazy in the hospital and finding Bone

Right. It's the same thing that happened in Notorious. Just lazy on hip hop biopics to not get thus right. Even television movies like the Temptations made sure audiences were in era specific clothing.

I'm saying. Flat out lazy for hip hop biopics. Look at a mob flick set in the 60s - 80s, and EVERYTHING about the movie will make you feel like you were in that era. Background characters, supporting characters and all. It's not nitpicking. **** just really sticks out. Like when I saw a ciroc bottle on the TLC movie lol.

I saw "Iceman" the other day, and the wardrobe and everything was on point for each decade.

Problem with hip hop films past 2000, and films set in some urban areas....is the casting and wardrobe thinks that you can slap a throwback jersey, baggy jeans, durag, or white tee on someone and it's all good. Naw, there's a culture to all this.

You have movies and tv shows made today that have dudes in the hood rocking Fubu, durags under pinwheel fitteds, baggy jeans and long platinum chains :rofl:

Last edited:
I'm saying. Flat out lazy for hip hop biopics. Look at a mob flick set in the 60s - 80s, and EVERYTHING about the movie will make you feel like you were in that era. Background characters, supporting characters and all. It's not nitpicking. **** just really sticks out. Like when I saw a ciroc bottle on the TLC movie lol.

I saw "Iceman" the other day, and the wardrobe and everything was on point for each decade.

Problem with hip hop films past 2000, and films set in some urban areas....is the casting and wardrobe thinks that you can slap a throwback jersey, baggy jeans, durag, or white tee on someone and it's all good. Naw, there's a culture to all this.

You have movies and tv shows made today that have dudes in the hood rocking Fubu, durags under pinwheel fitteds, baggy jeans and long platinum chains :rofl:

I agree with u

but when have you seen a movie filmed in late 2000s pull off the late 80s early 90s era 100% correctly or even close

But a ton of movies on smaller budgets are able to pull it off 100% without making silly mistakes.
Like someone said earlier, you'd notice if someone was wearing a pair of XIs. A lot of people probably don't notice most of the problems but it probably sticks out A LOT to the people that did.

Film was a masterpiece not seen a lot in the black culture since the era it potrsyed! It will go down for me as a modern day classic and BEST non-action film of the year for me. I can understand the imperfections but son did that really take away from your movie experience? Did you want to walk out? First film this year I have sat in that got a 3-4 second clap from everyone. Excellent film!

Peace,
J

I remember when that cap came out. It was so dope i had to cop even tho i wasnt a fan of whitesox.

I miss the old baseball caps with no mlb logo and the green brim too

Back
Top Bottom