Streetball legend sues Nike, Foot Locker

I don't care who dude is if u don't to the league I don't know u. Dummy $50,000 /yr. coulda turned into $2 M.
But anyway if someone from Nike put my name on some #%^* best believe I'm gettin paid ..... one way or another. Lebron u sorry dog I've lost all faith.

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

laugh.gif
This guy crazy. He won't get 5 mil and Let me breaking this down

This herb want $ because Nike used his street name (not even his real name) on some lame Tshirt (The guy didn't commercially trademark his name)
He's basically a nobody nowadays but acted like his name worth $ . (In order to seek monetary damages , he must prove his name worth $)
Nike most likely will win because they have enough $$$ to get the best lawyers and they can buy the judge if they want to
Nike probably feel sorry for this guy so they probably cut him a small check and tell him to get lost
He's not getting anywhere near 5 millions
Case dismissed

Funny how people try to sue over anything nowadays
roll.gif
smh.gif

I dont understand how its invalid to ask for compensation. It wasnt like they used the name " The Destroyer or Rucker Park Destroyer" they actually used his name. Its obivously worth something.

This isnt a great analogy but....I dont know what your real name is but lets say it's "Ken Rogers" and you become a legend on Niketalk
laugh.gif
Thru dishing out info on sneakers etc. Then years later Nike starts selling a shirt saying Ken" KenJi714" Roger- Sneaker legend
laugh.gif
Wouldnt you want some sort of compensation for them using your name and making money off it?

I think some of y'all are letting that the man was a thug etc cloud your judgement in that Nike used his name for financial gain.
Nah man . He won't get anything

In order for anyone to seek monetary damages through case like this . They must prove the infringed name causes some significantly losses in their business, emotional distress, or defamation, etc. This Joe Hammond guy didn't even make a real business out of his name nor did he ever commercially copyright it. If anything Nike is actually doing him a favor by letting the public know that he even existed
laugh.gif
. He will (90%) have a hard time proving to the judge that Nike causes him damages
laugh.gif
. So once again, Nike already win
laugh.gif
@ Ken for straight dodging the question. Im with Mr. Friendly.
If i get to be that famous , that's enough for me
laugh.gif
.This guy still won't get the 5 mils that he asked though

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

laugh.gif
This guy crazy. He won't get 5 mil and Let me breaking this down

This herb want $ because Nike used his street name (not even his real name) on some lame Tshirt (The guy didn't commercially trademark his name)
He's basically a nobody nowadays but acted like his name worth $ . (In order to seek monetary damages , he must prove his name worth $)
Nike most likely will win because they have enough $$$ to get the best lawyers and they can buy the judge if they want to
Nike probably feel sorry for this guy so they probably cut him a small check and tell him to get lost
He's not getting anywhere near 5 millions
Case dismissed

Funny how people try to sue over anything nowadays
roll.gif
smh.gif

I dont understand how its invalid to ask for compensation. It wasnt like they used the name " The Destroyer or Rucker Park Destroyer" they actually used his name. Its obivously worth something.

This isnt a great analogy but....I dont know what your real name is but lets say it's "Ken Rogers" and you become a legend on Niketalk
laugh.gif
Thru dishing out info on sneakers etc. Then years later Nike starts selling a shirt saying Ken" KenJi714" Roger- Sneaker legend
laugh.gif
Wouldnt you want some sort of compensation for them using your name and making money off it?

I think some of y'all are letting that the man was a thug etc cloud your judgement in that Nike used his name for financial gain.
Nah man . He won't get anything

In order for anyone to seek monetary damages through case like this . They must prove the infringed name causes some significantly losses in their business, emotional distress, or defamation, etc. This Joe Hammond guy didn't even make a real business out of his name nor did he ever commercially copyright it. If anything Nike is actually doing him a favor by letting the public know that he even existed
laugh.gif
. He will (90%) have a hard time proving to the judge that Nike causes him damages
laugh.gif
. So once again, Nike already win
laugh.gif
@ Ken for straight dodging the question. Im with Mr. Friendly.
If i get to be that famous , that's enough for me
laugh.gif
. This guy still won't get the 5 mils that he asked though

Come on Man!
laugh.gif
You cant be serious! I dont know if he'll get 5million but its not outrageous considering he gonna half to pay attorneys half of it even if he gets awarded the full 5 million,

Dudes claim is legit. Do I think he'll get the 5 mill? - NO
but he should be compensated. What if he stared printing shirts that said "just do it" or "House of Hoops"
Nike would be on him like white on rice.
They used HIS NAME- so what they mispelled it(on purpose)
He turned down the lakers- it wasn't bout the fame. It was a money thang. Cats like him and Pee Wee made WAY more money in the hood- not saying I agreewith it at all, but it's true.
Kikc the man down some cash and call it a day, or make a contract and give him some royalties for every shirt, commercial, poster, ect with his name. JMO

Originally Posted by Funkman

but he should be compensated. What if he stared printing shirts that said "just do it" or "House of Hoops"
He turned down the lakers- it wasn't bout the fame. It was a money thang. Cats like him and Pee Wee made WAY more money in the hood- not saying I agree with it at all, but it's true.
Kikc the man down some cash and call it a day, or make a contract and give him some royalties for every shirt, commercial, poster, ect with his name. JMO

I agree, I'm glad some people in this thread are showing some sense instead being blinded Nike Fanboys.
laugh.gif

He turned down the lakers- it wasn't bout the fame. It was a money thang. Cats like him and Pee Wee made WAY more money in the hood- not saying I agree with it at all, but it's true.
Yup I agree with this also...Nike was trying a very quick way to make some money off of him even with an attempt to dodge and side-steplegalities...the point remains it was done with the intent of creating a link between the guy, his image and persona to theirapparel. He should be compensated in some marginal way. In murder cases and such offences, intent becomes a factor indetermining if a person was acting in self defense or acting on a deliberate, pre-determined or even malicious act....I will charge Nike guilty withintentionally trying to make a buck of the guy...a technicality of mispelling the name should not allow them to walk off to the horizon (or in this case storeshelves) free...

Does anyone have a picture of this shirt?

I used to think streetballers could out battle some of NBA top-tier guys (this was during my HS-era when I didn't know much). With the likes of AND1Mixtape, Slam Streetball Mag, Nike Battlegrounds, I thought streetballers were as good as any one of them, who weren't given the chance to shine. Thenthere was all that hype about Skip to my Lou crossing dudes up at Rucker Park; Junie Sanders dropping 40+ points on Stephon Marbury and Jerry Stackhouse ondifferent occasions; Adrian Butler making a fool out of Vince Carter... this list goes on.

Looking back now, it was the stupid thing to believe in. Then I realized it was all hype and marketing because they had to sell basketball again. It was soone-dimensional the way these stories were told, because they only talked about that one time and that one game and how they did this and that and it wassupposed to glorify them.

It wasn't that they were unfortunate to turn the streetball game into organized ball because they didn't make it into the NBA, they didn't havewhat was required to bring them to the next level- level-minded thinking, education, work ethic...

The only one who ever came close prospering was Rafer Alston

Yeah I'd like to see a pic of this shirt too. Anyway like others dude is just trying to get some money. But can't blame him trying to make a buck or5mil to be exact.

How is he a nobody??? he's a streetball legend in nyc and that means sumthing and nike should pay him if they are using his name to make money

Originally Posted by DatRealBalla12

Yea the man just wants the money i dont blame him times is hard out here
laugh.gif
, I have heard
stories about dude and how he could grab quarters off the backboard since i grew up in NYC, but ive never seen him play before
im 32 i never saw him play but the older dudes when i was 15 used to talk bout him like he was the poop!!!

and it was Earl "The Goat" Manigault and The Helicopter that used to snatch 50 cents from the top of backboards mind you he was only 6'1"...

Originally Posted by ssgefiestoakagerger

Does anyone have a picture of this shirt?

I used to think streetballers could out battle some of NBA top-tier guys (this was during my HS-era when I didn't know much). With the likes of AND1 Mixtape, Slam Streetball Mag, Nike Battlegrounds, I thought streetballers were as good as any one of them, who weren't given the chance to shine. Then there was all that hype about Skip to my Lou crossing dudes up at Rucker Park; Junie Sanders dropping 40+ points on Stephon Marbury and Jerry Stackhouse on different occasions; Adrian Butler making a fool out of Vince Carter... this list goes on.

Looking back now, it was the stupid thing to believe in. Then I realized it was all hype and marketing because they had to sell basketball again. It was so one-dimensional the way these stories were told, because they only talked about that one time and that one game and how they did this and that and it was supposed to glorify them.

It wasn't that they were unfortunate to turn the streetball game into organized ball because they didn't make it into the NBA, they didn't have what was required to bring them to the next level- level-minded thinking, education, work ethic...

The only one who ever came close prospering was Rafer Alston

You ain't lying about the hype part. The thing people don't hear about Vince was that he had 80-82 pts. in that game where Adrian Walton aka WholeLotta Game/A Butta "showed up" VC by scoring 30 or so pts.. That same game was also the game that Vince shut down the gym down (Gauchos) with thislittle number: that's not only still talked about tothis day but made that gym known outside of NY to everybody who isn't a bigtime player. Not to take away from Adrian or any of the famed streetballers,they can play but those guys generally can't play at that level against NBA superstars even if the NBA player came in dogging it like Vince did. They maybe able to do that against the guys who're 3rd stringers in the NBA, college players, and other street dudes in a pickup setting but not real dealbasketball. You hit it on the head with the thinking and everthing else. Very few of them might have been able to fly in the pros but they aren't wiredupstairs to play outside of pickup & streetball.

True it's a lil hype but at the same time, these guys ARE above average. ANYONE, Pro or Joe, can get done in. Jordan got crossed over, Lebron got yoked on,and so on. Lebron has done people so bad on the court that it's almost unreal but if a average nobody gets him once- ITs a BIG DEAL because hiw many peoplecan say "I Did in a superstr"??-especialy in the hood. That means something. Everyone is talking bout the "level". It still goes back tomoney. NBA ball IS more organized and stuff. But it boils down to the million dollar contracts(now). Joe Hammond would not have made a lot of mobey in the NBA.And if all the present day superstars could get paid more for playing streetball-that's were they would be.
So when ya'll bring up the "level" do you mean that the NBA is a higher level or just a different level than the streetballers?

Bakc to the topic. SO what about "NBA" and blah blah. Joe Hammonds name and his legacy is very much related to basketball. Nike knows that.That's why they used him to appeal to the people that they wanna sell their product to. It'll settle outta court with the signing of a check.

True it's a lil hype but at the same time, these guys ARE above average. ANYONE, Pro or Joe, can get done in. Jordan got crossed over, Lebron got yoked on, and so on. Lebron has done people so bad on the court that it's almost unreal but if a average nobody gets him once- ITs a BIG DEAL because hiw many people can say "I Did in a superstr"??-especialy in the hood. That means something. Everyone is talking bout the "level". It still goes back to money. NBA ball IS more organized and stuff. But it boils down to the million dollar contracts(now). Joe Hammond would not have made a lot of mobey in the NBA. And if all the present day superstars could get paid more for playing streetball-that's were they would be.
So when ya'll bring up the "level" do you mean that the NBA is a higher level or just a different level than the streetballers?

Bakc to the topic. SO what about "NBA" and blah blah. Joe Hammonds name and his legacy is very much related to basketball. Nike knows that. That's why they used him to appeal to the people that they wanna sell their product to. It'll settle outta court with the signing of a check.

I agree that those guys are above average and that anyone can be beaten at any given game but a lot of those stories do get skewed especially the Vince vs.Whole Lotta Game story. Like I said, Vince wound up becoming more famous because of the dunk, he made Gauchos known to the masses, and he did vastly outscoreAdrian. In Joe's case, he should be paid. I do remember that Nike did feature him somewhat when they started pitching to streetball.

Originally Posted by never wear them

Judge is gon' be like...... "You turned down the Lakers back then?" "something wrong with yo brain"....

Case dismissed... Judge walks away talking to himself " idiot couldve had a ring"
QFT

Jordan Crawford's dunk on Lebron; Allen Iverson crossing up Michael Jordan... these are only ONE-TIME moments

They're good players and all, but can you use these ONE-TIME highlights to determine that they are better than NBA players?

The only difference between Lebron James and a streetball legend who never had the opportunity to make it to the NBA is the fact that LBJ pulled his socks upand was level-minded to take the necessary steps to not be involved in the street life and get an education. And even that wasn't enough, because althoughLBJ is talented and has God-given athleticism he still put forth hard work in his game and in the gym to be the best he can. Just look at these guys, theyscore points, drop dimes and still carry out the W.

Honestly, I believe NBA scouts and coaches recognize talent but more importantly they need players who can carry out themselves properly.

Back
Top Bottom