Student Loan Hell.

Originally Posted by milkandcookies

Anyone have any advice for me?
I'm looking for some sort of financial aid, or federal loans with lower interest rates... but my family doesn't "qualify" for fafsa aid or financial aid from my school because our income is high... 

unfortunately our financial situation isn't as simple as simply income... we are pretty strapped right now and I really want to make it easier on my family, but my parents won't let me take out private loans... 

Any advice?

can I emancipate myself... what about scholarships?

has anyone had any luck with scholarships.com or fastweb.com?

If you are really worried about money you can take the community college route then transfer to a 4 year school. While you are going to the CC get a job and save up.

sick.gif
@ some of the loans you guys have in here. I'm starting as a college freshmen on Monday. Cheap CUNY tuition ftw
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by rocathajordans23

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

I owe 60k. 'm not even pressed about these student loans and never will be. i already came to the conclusion the only way they will get their money is if i hit the lottery.

Havent paid on my loans in 5 years
How many phone calls a day do you get?
0 they been stop calling years ago, I know all the laws and loop holes regarding loans. If your haing problems woring out loans with collections call financial aid ombudsman. They will put the collections in check and get your rates down to affordable payments. Once you mention ombudsman to a lender they will get their act straight right away

Due to grants and my parents helping me out some, I only owe about 10k which I am very thankful for.  Grad school I will probably have to take out some more loans though

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Due to grants and my parents helping me out some, I only owe about 10k which I am very thankful for.  Grad school I will probably have to take out some more loans though
I was very fortunate to come from a family that owned a very successful company and saved every last dollar. My college was paid for out of pocket and I have no loans to deal with. My brother went out of state, so they took out some loans, but they are minimal. A lot of my friends...different story. It's pretty brutal.

And the CC route isn't the way it used to be. I remember back in the day you could go to North Seattle CC and you had automatic entrance to UW after two years. They got rid of that ten years ago, and now, it's almost impossible to get in if you're not a freshman. And recently they've capped the number of in-state acceptances in order to get the more lucrative out-of-state students. I'm glad I got in and out of college when I did.

I owe 60k. 'm not even pressed about these student loans and never will be. i already came to the conclusion the only way they will get their money is if i hit the lottery.

0 they been stop calling years ago, I know all the laws and loop holes regarding loans. If your haing problems woring out loans with collections call financial aid ombudsman. They will put the collections in check and get your rates down to affordable payments. Once you mention ombudsman to a lender they will get their act straight right away
If you get put into collections, doesn't your credit take a major hit?

Originally Posted by syxth element

If you get put into collections, doesn't your credit take a major hit?
Yep. I have a parking ticket from a private lot (a spot that I paid for and have proof of payment) and they still sent it off to collections, claiming I never paid. I have bad credit because of an $8 parking fee, and it's been going on a year-and-a-half. I can't imagine what five years of not paying loans off will do to your credit score, especially if it's off to collections.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

Smh everyone feels like they should be entitled to an education from a private university yet they dont want to pay the price. Many public/state universities are a quarter of the price and provide a decent education. As for unfair interest, I agree some people have exorbitant rates although borrowing big amounts from private banks should have been avoided.
Shut up. Who said that? Public universities have implemented significant tuition hikes in CA (I don't know about other states).

Tuition is a measly 6gs, less than a quarter of most private univeristies and easily payable. Sit down.http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofattendance/

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

Originally Posted by The Encore

Sallie Mae wasn't and still isn't trying to work w/ me to lower my payments ... They are asking for about 1K+ a month ... I told them to Eat a D, and they can get the money when I kill myself due to them pressuring me
I hear you The Encore

Its funny when you call them and they take your financial information down.  I make this much.....i pay this much....they then say ok looks like you have $300 disposable income a month......we can get your loans down to.....$950 a month.....and i just laugh.  You realize that isn't possible for me to pay right?

Then they ask how you are going to manage to pay it... UM Sell drugs??? idk i can't pay it you idiot thats why i am calling you

The problem is they never give you a realistic idea of what your in for.  Partially to blame are the students and partially the banks (sallie Mae)  I know when i went to school my mom had never dealt with any of this.  So i was on my own.  Sallie Mae said you just take out school loans and you can pay them back over time.  Everyone does it can't be too difficult right.  Oh i got cleared to take out enough for four years of school at a private university....cool that must mean i can do this.

Then you graduate and you are paying over $1k a month....where is that possible for a 21 year old kid unless you have 0 bills.

Graduated undergrad in '09 about 24k in debt. Definitely a lot of money, but I knew cats graduating with 30, 40, 50 k and more in loans (one chick I knew that went to SETON HALL graduated with 100k in debt 
sick.gif
)

Started paying my loans off for just under a year before I went back to grad school, where I was able to land a grad assistantship that covered tuition for both years. Deferred my undergrad loans while in grad.

Was paying 200/month that year in between with another quarterly loan repayment that was like $400.

I'm calling BS on this one.  The only way they will forgive your loans is if you're dead or become severely incapacitated.  If they're not demanding payment, I'm guessing it's because you don't have a job and they have no way of garnishing it.

rocathajordans23 wrote:
KingSuperbIV wrote:

nah... what does your credit score look like bruh!! (rhetorical)

Originally Posted by 2b1ASK1

rocathajordans23 wrote:
KingSuperbIV wrote:

gotta be below 600 unless he on that super deferred plan ... 5 years ...  damn homie 
i hate student loans ... my $400 month payments be having me like
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by 2b1ASK1

rocathajordans23 wrote:
KingSuperbIV wrote:

atleast he wont ever have to worry about paying future loans back because he wont be able to qualify for any.

Smh everyone feels like they should be entitled to an education from a private university yet they dont want to pay the price. Many public/state universities are a quarter of the price and provide a decent education. As for unfair interest, I agree some people have exorbitant rates although borrowing big amounts from private banks should have been avoided.
Shut up. Who said that? Public universities have implemented significant tuition hikes in CA (I don't know about other states).

Tuition is a measly 6gs, less than a quarter of most private univeristies and easily payable. Sit down.http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofattendance/
Most CSU schools are garbage. I know that first-hand. If you want a good education, sometimes you need to take out loan then you get @#+$ ed.

Tuition is a measly 6gs, less than a quarter of most private univeristies and easily payable. Sit down. http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofattendance/
Most CSU schools are garbage. I know that first-hand. If you want a good education, sometimes you need to take out loan then you get @#+$ ed.

UCLA and UC Berkeley are the one and 2 best public schools in the country and are 10k a year compared to 30-40k for most privates. This means max you will borrow is 40k, assuming you get 0 fed grants which I know 90% of students are eligible for the Pell Grant of up to 5k a year.

Tuition is a measly 6gs, less than a quarter of most private univeristies and easily payable. Sit down. http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofattendance/

As a CSULB graduate, I fully support and agree with this statement.  The curriculum there felt like 13th-16th grade.  This was the decision I faced coming out of HS.  Get a free subpar education, or take out loans to get a better education?  I went with the former, and thus far it has worked out OK.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

Originally Posted by The Encore

Sallie Mae wasn't and still isn't trying to work w/ me to lower my payments ... They are asking for about 1K+ a month ... I told them to Eat a D, and they can get the money when I kill myself due to them pressuring me
I hear you The Encore

Its funny when you call them and they take your financial information down.  I make this much.....i pay this much....they then say ok looks like you have $300 disposable income a month......we can get your loans down to.....$950 a month.....and i just laugh.  You realize that isn't possible for me to pay right?

Then they ask how you are going to manage to pay it... UM Sell drugs??? idk i can't pay it you idiot thats why i am calling you

The problem is they never give you a realistic idea of what your in for.  Partially to blame are the students and partially the banks (sallie Mae)  I know when i went to school my mom had never dealt with any of this.  So i was on my own.  Sallie Mae said you just take out school loans and you can pay them back over time.  Everyone does it can't be too difficult right.  Oh i got cleared to take out enough for four years of school at a private university....cool that must mean i can do this.

Then you graduate and you are paying over $1k a month....where is that possible for a 21 year old kid unless you have 0 bills.

so its the banks fault u didnt think of this all before u signed on the line to agree to pay it back?? nt the banks fault u assumed u would be able to pay it off b/c u assumed everybody else is doing it?

so much ignorance in almost all of these post

to the guy that says they are calling u abt 9k u owe them and are laughing at them check your credit im sure there is a charged off stl on there and if your nt familiar w/ default, charge off stl and charge off checking/savings accts are the absolute worse things that u can have on your credit, and they are giving u one last chance to pay it back before they summon u to court or when/if u get a job just take 25% out of your check till its paid off, and u cant in no scenario what so ever cross consolidate priv and fed loans so no nd for a disclaimer its not possible

and in some fields (very few but is possible i hear abt it with attorneys/nurses) can actually take your degree back if u have a charged off stl

and what do u guys think is going to happen by ignoring the phone calls/letters, stl will eventually have to be paid back no matter what (unless you die but then if u have a co signer it just gets put on them and by the way if u have a co signer its effecting there credit and they will go after him/her as well)

i go to csudh and i agree about the subpar part.

regarding collections, i owe ebay/paypal close to $4000 between fees and 2 big ticket fraudulent chargebacks a buyer did on me back in 2004. i told them to go screw themselves and that i wasn't paying it and since their not a bank or lending company the debt wasn't valid. 7 years later i got a new ebay and paypal i've been using the past 3.5 years with no problems and my credit is great.

student loans however i would pay off and me punctual on the payments as they don't play around with those.

UCLA and UC Berkeley are the one and 2 best public schools in the country and are 10k a year compared to 30-40k for most privates. This means max you will borrow is 40k, assuming you get 0 fed grants which I know 90% of students are eligible for the Pell Grant of up to 5k a year.
Not including food, rent, etc. It adds up.

Back
Top Bottom