Studies Find Link Between Cat Ownership and Mental Illness, Schizophrenia...

jpzx

Supporter
:lol: oh

Studies Find Link Between Cat Ownership and Schizophrenia

Cats are cute, cats are cuddly, and they’re the stars of YouTube, but cats are also carriers of an extremely dangerous parasite.

Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii) has been known to cause illness, developmental disorders and even in some cases death. Researchers now have greater evidence to link the cat-carried parasite to mental disorders such as schizophrenia and even bipolar disorder.

A recent study published in Schizophrenia Research examined other studies and found that childhood cat ownership may be a risk for schizophrenia later on in life. A second study, published in the journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, found that an individual infected with T. gondii was just about twice as likely to develop schizophrenia.

“In schizophrenia, the evidence of an association with T. gondii is overwhelming,” the authors say in a press release. “These findings may give further clues about how T. gondii infection can possibly [alter] the risk of specific psychiatric disorders.”

How can you protect yourself from this?

Outdoor cats are much more likely to carry T. gondii than indoor cats are, according to same the report.

Cat owners can protect themselves from the parasite by keeping cats indoors exclusively and by covering the litterbox when it’s not being used. CBS reports that it is also best to change the litter daily, since T. gondii is not infectious until one to five days after it’s shed in feces.

Link: http://www.epictimes.com/2015/06/studies-find-link-between-cat-ownership-and-schizophrenia/2/

CBS News story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cat-parasite-toxoplasma-gondii-linked-to-mental-illness-schizophrenia/

Last edited:
Where's the story of the NTr who bought one of those luxury cats because NT thread convinced him to, and it ended in a disaster

Swore I saw this a while ago. Makes you wonder about parasites everywhere, it's not only in third-world countries like the medical field wants you to believe.

So Mr. Diggles death was for the good of society?

1135851.gif

In some south American countries there are large number of people with this. Its been linked to aggressive and successful soccer players.

Where's the story of the NTr who bought one of those luxury cats because NT thread convinced him to, and it ended in a disaster

so funny. Dude bought a Savannah cat. Said he came home one day and the thing ate like all his packs of raw chicken or something :lol:

Dogs>>>>

But everyone knows that. Dog appreciation thread in disguise :nerd:

Every Puerto Rican chick I know grew up with a cat in the household. Makes sense now. Them girls be wilding. One shorty threatened to cut me because I wasn't trynna meet her parents after I smashed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom