Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia in 2 weeks

Haven't been posting on NT for a minute but I've been reading threads here and there. I'll be studying abroad in Sydney, Australia this coming fall semester (spring for Aussie's) and I was wondering if any of you NTer's have any tips, suggestions, places to visit, etc. I'll be leaving July 18th and will be there until December 2nd so I have plenty of time to travel. I'm planning to go to Auckland, New Zealand, Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns to visit the Great Barrier Reef.

Did the same last year, spent most of my time in Melbourne but spent a few days in Sydney as well...

- Be prepared financially. Australia is a very expensive place and costs add up, especially for the touristy excursions. Alcohol prices are through the roof as well (especially non-Australian brands), but with a lil bit of frugality you should be fine.
- If you're planning to travel around Australia, use trains. Although it takes a lot longer than flying, the Australian countryside is beautiful and extremely calming. I took an 8 hour train ride from Sydney back to Melbourne towards the end of my trip (couldn't get a right price on a flight) and it ended up being a great decision.
- Don't be afraid to strike up conversations with people, Australians are friendly as hell and you never know who you might meet.
- Nightlife is somewhat lacking as a whole compared to other places I've been to, so make sure you do your research in finding the dope spots ....be sure to hit the Gold Coast and have a couple wild ##+ nights, you'll find plenty of chill people

Have fun fam, I'd love to trade places with you right now.

Thanks for the tips bro. I'll be living near campus (University of Technology, Sydney) and I'm expecting to spend roughly $150+/week on a SHARED room. I knew studying in Australia was going to be expensive but not this expensive... I've probably spent close to $4,000 and I haven't even left the country yet. 
roll.gif
I might look into taking the train from Sydney to Melbourne rather than spend $200~ for RT airfare.

Anybody have any good restaurants and food joints to try out? How are the Starbucks and Target prices? Reasonably the same as the US or more expensive like the rest of Australia?
tired.gif

so jelly...

take pix of those nice lovely ladies. and update this thread
pimp.gif
GL op

if you go to australia, make sure you DONT have any foods in your suitcase, cause they are strict.. if you do and you tell them no, you're gonna pay $200.00 dollars and they might even deport you.. so dont bring any foods... unless you got deep pockets and you wanna risk it

Australia is awesome...spent about 3 weeks there between Perth and a Hobart...hope your not taking a lady with you...plenty to be had there...

- Bondi Beach and Manly Beach are a must visit. Eat lunch at Bondi and spend the rest of the day there at the beach. A lotta beautiful women & very friendly approachable people at the beaches. This was my go to kick it spot when I was there for a month.
- Traveling by train is the most efficient way of getting around (assuming you won't have a car).
- Taronga zoo, you gotta spend an entire day there, bunch of exotic animals that are native to Australia. I've been to a lotta zoos all over, but this is the biggest one I've been to.
- Visit the Manly Sea Life Sanctuary and go dive with a bunch of sharks at the shark harbour. 30 min dive costs $200 AU, check it out here:
http://www.manlysealifesa...ark-dive-xtreme/#pricing
- Go skydiving in Cairns: http://www.sydneyskydivers.com.au/. You skydive along the Queensland coast and the ocean, great view.
- If you're heading up north to the Great Barrier reef, go stay at Hamilton Island. http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/. That island is breathtaking, you can stay at the resorts there for cheap, around $90 per night.
- While at Hamilton Island, go book yourself a Kayaking tour and spend a night at the Reef Sleep (floating boat right on the Reef) and spend an entire day scuba diving/snorkeling.
- Kings Cross in Sydney is the red light district and where all the clubs are at.
- New Zealand has its natural beauty and the landscape is nice, but it's pretty boring down there and there isn't much to do.

My dude
pimp.gif
eek.gif
!

Have a safe a fun trip, take pics, definitely gotta like the crap out of them on instagram.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

- Bondi Beach and Manly Beach are a must visit. Eat lunch at Bondi and spend the rest of the day there at the beach. A lotta beautiful women & very friendly approachable people at the beaches. This was my go to kick it spot when I was there for a month.
- Traveling by train is the most efficient way of getting around (assuming you won't have a car).
- Taronga zoo, you gotta spend an entire day there, bunch of exotic animals that are native to Australia. I've been to a lotta zoos all over, but this is the biggest one I've been to.
- Visit the Manly Sea Life Sanctuary and go dive with a bunch of sharks at the shark harbour. 30 min dive costs $200 AU, check it out here:
http://www.manlysealifesa...ark-dive-xtreme/#pricing
- Go skydiving in Cairns: http://www.sydneyskydivers.com.au/. You skydive along the Queensland coast and the ocean, great view.
- If you're heading up north to the Great Barrier reef, go stay at Hamilton Island. http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/. That island is breathtaking, you can stay at the resorts there for cheap, around $90 per night.
- While at Hamilton Island, go book yourself a Kayaking tour and spend a night at the Reef Sleep (floating boat right on the Reef) and spend an entire day scuba diving/snorkeling.
- Kings Cross in Sydney is the red light district and where all the clubs are at.
- New Zealand has its natural beauty and the landscape is nice, but it's pretty boring down there and there isn't much to do.
I heard a lot of good things about the two beaches you listed. I'm most def gonna check them out. This thread is most def gonna make the next five months the best vacation before I graduate (spring 2013).

I'll be taking My Canon S95 and taking pictures every day or whenever I can. I'll post some shots every now and then. I'm also on Instagram, eyeezygee if you want to follow me.

Anybody know anything about prepaid mobile phone plans? I'm thinking about getting one with Vodafone... I have an iPhone 4S and just ordered the Gevey sim card so I can use it oversea. Hopefully there's wifi around so I can update my Instagram with tons of pictures.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom