STUDYING...How much is too much?

antonlavey

Banned
It's a fact of life that too much of anything is detrimental to your health. I just took an exam on friday and I have another on wed (cummulativebiochem)......

I studied 1pm yesterday till 7 this morning (no joke)....I looked at myself in the mirror and my left eye is RED and I have a headache. I'm a bitdelirious. Pretty sure I could've gotten a DWI....drunk with information...charge if I got stopped by the cops coming home from school.

250px-Adderall_30mg_small.jpg

Honestly you do have a limit you don't want to waste your time studying that info if it doesn't stick. I never study more than 6 hrs in one sittinghell maybe even 4 hrs. But maybe you are Jimmy Neutron.

If study too much to the point where you're exhausted then
it's a waste because you won't be able to focus on an exam. At least I know I won't.

with classes like biochemistry i would study about a hour a day, if you keep it up throughout the semester you should be fine.

it's not the studying...it's the lack of rest.

I can never take an exam without decent rest...my mind just does not function properly

theres no point in studying when youre so tired that youre not retaining information. This also leads to burnout.
working hard throughout the whole semester> trying to cram at the end

I was never able to pull an "all nighter." My thought process wouldn't be right after 8-10 hours of studying especially well into the night. Yourbody and mind needs a break in between to rest and going to a test after staying up all night isn't a smart thing to do.

All nighters dont work for me. I won't be able to retain all the info and during the day, i would be exhausted and might fall asleep during the exam orsomething. I just review notes for everything the same day i get them for like 15 minutes at night and i'm good

If you can't retain any of the information, which is done through rest to allow the brain to process, then it doesn't matter if you pull an allnighter.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I can never take an exam without decent rest...my mind just does not function properly

This.

I could never study more than 2 hours straight and no more than like 6-8 hours total..

Most people study entire chapters I guess what will be on the test, I am almost always right.. So it cuts down how much I need to study.

And if I study to much it actually hurts me.

Originally Posted by nomoplayinga

with classes like biochemistry i would study about a hour a day, if you keep it up throughout the semester you should be fine.

in med school there is no such thing as studying too much. look at your classmates and you'll notice regardless of how much or how hard you study someoneis always doing more. study to the point where you are confident it will get you a score you are satisfied with.

an hour a day in med school will get you one of two things....either a nice walk to the door as they show you the way out or a front row seat in the same classnext year
roll.gif

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

in med school there is no such thing as studying too much. look at your classmates and you'll notice regardless of how much or how hard you study someone is always doing more. study to the point where you are confident it will get you a score you are satisfied with.

an hour a day in med school will get you one of two things....either a nice walk to the door as they show you the way out or a front row seat in the same class next year
roll.gif
Son said an hour
laugh.gif

We just had a major exam on friday and they gave us 3 days to study for a cummulative biochem miniboard exam
sick.gif
. I'm surprised by how much random information I still remember but damn.

I decided to just do like a thousand problems (literally)....and review a few high yield facts I may have forgotten.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I always sleep early the day before, it's the days that precede the day before that I exhaust myself. It's hilarious to see the decline inbrain function as the day progresses, you start getting easy questions wrong, words look jumbled and you stop making any sense.
laugh.gif

Theoretically that could work, but nobody's gonna do that, especially with 3-4 other classes to worry about.

Studying for Finals was one the worst things ever. I absolutely hated it. I gained 10-15 lbs. every Finals week (well, month) because after an all-nighter,i'd hit up McDonalds breakfast or my local diner for a heavy, satisfying breakfast and then top it off with a 3-4 hour nap at home. Wake up, hit upclasses, work (if I had), study, repeat. If I signed up for NT when I first discovered it, I would not have graduated lol.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

in med school there is no such thing as studying too much. look at your classmates and you'll notice regardless of how much or how hard you study someone is always doing more. study to the point where you are confident it will get you a score you are satisfied with.

an hour a day in med school will get you one of two things....either a nice walk to the door as they show you the way out or a front row seat in the same class next year
roll.gif
Son said an hour
laugh.gif

We just had a major exam on friday and they gave us 3 days to study for a cummulative biochem miniboard exam
sick.gif
. I'm surprised by how much random information I still remember but damn.

I decided to just do like a thousand problems (literally)....and review a few high yield facts I may have forgotten.
that scheduling is horrible. how are your courses scheduled? in my first and second year we only had one major science/med course at a time. wewere block scheduled so we would have only anatomy, then only biochem, then only micro, etc. really enabled me to focus and do reasonably well in thosecourses. i dont know why all schools dont do it that way. i could never imagine having to study biochem and micro at the same time or something like that. ithink it leads to major burnout and probably a higher dropout rate. it might be something interesting to look at lol. but yea block scheduling in med schoolFTW

ochem thursday
spanish friday
english saturday
genetics monday 9AM

wamp =/

i take naps when i can, but other than that, its grind mode

got a bag of this adderall, never took it before, not sure if i should

Back
Top Bottom