Subway surpasses McDonald's as worlds largest restaurant chain (33,749 and counting)

I knew that they've been booming in recent years...but wow. Never thought any chain would ever surpass the Golden Arches.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703386704576186432177464052.html?mod=yahoo_free

[h1]Subway Runs Past McDonald's Chain[/h1][h3]By JULIE JARGON [/h3]
It'sofficial: the Subway sandwich chain has surpassed McDonald's Corp. asthe world's largest restaurant chain, in terms of units.

At the end of last year, Subway had 33,749 restaurants worldwide,compared to McDonald's 32,737. The burger giant disclosed its year-endstore count in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing late lastmonth.

The race for global dominance is an important one for an industrythat's mostly saturated in the U.S. High unemployment and economicuncertainty have battered the restaurant industry in the U.S., andchains are increasingly looking overseas for growth, particularly inAsia.

Julie Jargon explains why McDonald'shas lost its title as the world's largest restaurant chain and whichrival now holds that distinction.

[h3] Journal Community [/h3]

StarbucksCorp. recently said it plans to triple its number of outlets in China,for example. Dunkin' Brands Inc., parent of Dunkin' Donuts andBaskin-Robbins, plans to open thousands of new outlets in China incoming years as well as its first stores in Vietnam in the next 18months. Subway just opened its 1,000th location in Asia, including itsfirst in Vietnam.

Subway, which opened its first international restaurant in 1984, inBahrain, expects its number of international restaurants to exceed itsdomestic ones by 2020, says Don Fertman, Subway's Chief DevelopmentOfficer. The chain currently has just over 24,000 restaurants in theU.S., where it generated $10.5 billion of its $15.2 billion in revenuelast year.

[h3]More[/h3]
The closely held company, owned by Doctor's Associates Inc., does not disclose its profits.

McDonald's is still the leader when it comes to sales. The burgerchain reported $24 billion in revenue last year. "We remain focused onlistening to and serving our customers, and are committed to beingbetter, not just bigger," a McDonald's spokeswoman says.

Subway, which surpassed the number of McDonald's in the U.S. aboutnine years ago, expects China to eventually become one of its largestmarkets. The sandwich shop only has 199 restaurants in China now, butexpects to have more than 500 by 2015.

View Full Image
[img]http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-MX345_subway_D_20110307143349.jpg[/img]
Subway
The Subway sandwich chain has surpassed McDonald's as the world's largest restaurant chain in terms of units.

[img]http://si.wsj.net/img/BTN_insetClose.gif[/img]
OB-MX345_subway_G_20110307143349.jpg

Subwayhas achieved its rapid growth, in part, by opening outlets innon-traditional locations such as an automobile showroom in California,an appliance store in Brazil, a ferry terminal in Seattle, a riverboatin Germany, a zoo in Taiwan, a Goodwill store in South Carolina, a highschool in Detroit and a church in Buffalo, New York.

"We're continually looking at just about any opportunity for someoneto buy a sandwich, wherever that might be. The closer we can get to thecustomer, the better," Mr. Fertman says, explaining that it now hasalmost 8,000 Subways in unusual locations. "The non-traditional isbecoming traditional."

The company has some concerns about the economies of certaininternational markets, such as Germany and the United Kingdom. Thecompany is trying to develop more affordable offerings in thosecountries, similar to the $5 foot-long sandwiches that have beensuccessful in the U.S.

"Finding that kind of value proposition in those countries is essential," Mr. Fertman says.

Write to Julie Jargon at julie.jargon@wsj.com

i dont eat subway at all but i wanna copp one of these to put right next to a subway 
mainLogo.gif

Why dont subways have drive thrus?
I always figured it was because they promoting healthyness, then I thought about Monday when I went, imagine the $$!#$%+ lines!
Sorry I'm high

Originally Posted by JPTHE3

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Thats a good thing, though.

Am I right or am I right? 
Somewhat. While it's certainly a healthier alternative to burgers, the whole "6 grams of fat or less" only refers to like 4 of their subs and if you get the 6 inch and assuming you get no cheese or mayo and who does that? Then they sell normal stuff like pizza, bacon ranch subs, etc. that aren't any healthier at all.

i live within 20 minutes walking distance to 5 different subways smh
1 of them delivers
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Somewhat. While it's certainly a healthier alternative to burgers, the whole "6 grams of fat or less" only refers to like 4 of their subs and if you get the 6 inch and assuming you get no cheese or mayo and who does that? Then they sell normal stuff like pizza, bacon ranch subs, etc. that aren't any healthier at all.
Exactly. It annoys me that they still use the "healthy" platform when it only applies to a very small portion of their menu, clearly duping people. That and the fact they use endorsements from athletes, saying Subway is a part of their "training program" Their new slogan is "Where Winners Eat" for christ's sake
30t6p3b.gif

But hey, it's clearly working from a business standpoint, and that's all that matters, right?

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

damn i still see way more mcdonalds tho
I was gonna say me too but then I thought about it and that's definitely not the case in my area.

Subway is everywhere, a lot of times kinda in the cuts though not really in plain view like most McDonalds are.

Still I didn't know they were making international moves like that. Thought it would have been Starbucks if anything.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Exactly. It annoys me that they still use the "healthy" platform when it only applies to a very small portion of their menu, clearly duping people. That and the fact they use endorsements from athletes, saying Subway is a part of their "training program" Their new slogan is "Where Winners Eat" for christ's sake
30t6p3b.gif

But hey, it's clearly working from a business standpoint, and that's all that matters, right?
True, but still.. What would we rather eat? What would we rather feed our children? Our family's? 

Hate when i go there and just ask for a plain ham&cheese sandwich and the employees keep asking if i want mad accessory on it. that place ain't healthy 

I love Subway and at first i was like, "nah there gotta be more Mc'ds"

But, there one in every block or plaza and they always have people.

I had Jersey Mikes today and that is really good as well

there's 4 within a 10 block radius in da heightz....they definitely housin mickey-d's

Mcdonalds apple pie>>>>>>anything at subways. Living till 35 & dying due to overconsumption of apple pies is worth it.

McDonalds still winnin tho cause they own alot more of there stores while 95% subways are franchised

Back
Top Bottom