Suns Fire Porter

Sarver killed this team. Kerr helped out. Porter couldn't make the best of anything. They brought in a proven (to be crap) coach. Why in the world wasPorter even signed in the first place? What'd he do on the Bucks that was worth mentioning?

Originally Posted by dreClark

porter-terry-392-cp-080609.jpg

The wrong man in this picture got fired, IMO.

"According to a Phoenix source, Terry Porter will be replaced by general Manager Steve Kerr as head coach of the Phoenix Suns." - RealGM.com
Thats the setup. They get you out of the office and then let you fail with the team you put together, then they fire you. First MJ, then IT, nowKerr.

They give these GM jobs up to anybody.

Umm, i just read that the owner of the suns said we DID NOT fire Porter. Peter Vescey at it again, how is this guy still employed?

Originally Posted by tmoney85

Umm, i just read that the owner of the suns said we DID NOT fire Porter. Peter Vescey at it again, how is this guy still employed?

yeah peter is terrible but i do think he's half right.

i think they WILL fire porter, they just want the all star festivities to go away before they make it official so its not talked about to the max while theyrehere.

i don't think kerr will replace him tho

i'm sure they're realllllly upset this story leaked

kerr should be fired.

but firing him now would make the whole Suns organization look more ******ed than they already do .

[h1]Porter likely gone by Monday[/h1]

PHP497BD57D1E780.jpg
Associated Press

There are strong indications that the Suns will have a new head coach leading them at Monday morning's practice.
Although no final decision has been made, the apparent plan is for Suns management to fire Terry Porter - who in his first season has led the Suns to a 28-23 record and ninth place in the Western Conference standings - on Monday.
Because of financial concerns, the replacement probably would come from the staff. Lead assistant Alvin Gentry would be the likely successor, not General Manager Steve Kerr, as has been reported.

Gentry and assistant Bill Cartwright have previous head-coaching experience, but Gentry has been with Phoenix since 2004.

Porter has had two shots at his 100th career coaching victory, but the Suns lost both games by 17 points to finish a 6-10 stretch entering the All-Star break. Their past six losses have come by double digits.

He signed a three-year contract to be the Suns' coach in June, but the third year is not guaranteed. The Suns would eat about $2 million of Porter's salary by firing him. He was the only experienced head coach among the finalists for the job, which was vacated in the off-season by Mike D'Antoni.

The timing seems ideal for a new coach, with the Suns facing the Los Angeles Clippers (13-40) on Tuesday and Wednesday and Oklahoma City (13-40) on Friday.

There has been speculation that a big change would be coming in the form of a trade involving forward Amaré Stoudemire. Chicago, Houston and Cleveland have been considered the likely trading partners, but a deal with Portland for guard Jerryd Bayless, a first-round draft pick and Raef LaFrentz's expiring, insurance-protected contract has been considered.

Any trade also would not happen until Monday, as the NBA does not want the Suns to act during All-Star weekend in its city.

The Suns' decreasing faith in Porter recently became apparent when Managing Partner Robert Sarver and Kerr took unscheduled cross-country flights to Atlanta to hold meetings with players without Porter, a sign that they did not think the coach was reaching the players.

Porter got off to a bad start with many players during training camp, when his no-nonsense approach, basic drills and changes in philosophy ruffled some, especially veterans.

The players had asked for more of a defensive emphasis and accountability after last season's first-round playoff exit under D'Antoni. However, they did not buy in to Porter's program from the beginning. The team is loaded with subpar defensive players and has not improved in that area, and Kerr said that is his biggest disappointment this season.

Porter's attempt to put in a Detroit Pistons-type offense was abandoned after an 11-9 start. He allowed point guard Steve Nash to have more control of the ball and push the tempo more, although he still wanted center Shaquille O'Neal to regularly have post-up opportunities. Nash and teammates pitched their cases in public that the team was built to run, and they got their wishes.

The Suns won more in December, but Porter did not win their respect.

Guard Raja Bell resisted Porter's ways and forward Boris Diaw was unhappy with his new role. Their attitudes led to the Suns trading them Dec. 12 to Charlotte for guard Jason Richardson. The Suns won nine of their next 12 games but lost twice at the buzzer on defensive mix-ups.

http://www.azcentral.com/...4/20090214porter0215.html

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by bence23

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I love that franchise. They talked endless sh*^ when they were a supposed "threat"

Now, they're only a trade or two away from the Clippers.
pimp.gif

and you still failed to beat us in the playoffs twice.
pimp.gif

You are right, we did. And yet we made it to the finals for the 5th time this decade just one year later.

While you guys..............
nerd.gif

68f159e88d176b2ecfd18e76f372b558e4e8874.pjpg
Holla at me when you do something without shaq

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I love that franchise. They talked endless sh*^ when they were a supposed "threat"

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

You are right, we did. And yet we made it to the finals for the 5th time this decade just one year later.

nerd.gif

We got to the finals.

Holla at me when you get to the finals with Nash.

Originally Posted by goukiteg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

nerd.gif

We got to the finals.

Holla at me when you get to the finals with Nash.
laugh.gif
at suns fans attempting to make a comeback, damntheir window closed fast, i wish amare never got suspended for game 5 in 2007 so when san antonio would have still beat them suns fans wouldn't have noreason to cry and complain. oh well the suns have been on a downward spiral since then, they'll make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed this year butthey'll be a mid 30 win team by next year, i love it.

120 points a game, the good ol' days!
pimp.gif

As much as i hate the suns, i loved their wild three point shooting games.
Its not like they are gonna win a ring anyways, might as well sell tickets and entertain us.

Originally Posted by tmoney85

120 points a game, the good ol' days!
pimp.gif

As much as i hate the suns, i loved their wild three point shooting games.
Its not like they are gonna win a ring anyways, might as well sell tickets and entertain us.

I wont front. I hated their guts, but they were still fun to watch... games like SUNS vs. MAVS were CLASSICS. I do miss those games... they just arent the sameanymore, not one bit
smh.gif

its official

[h1]Suns fire Porter[/h1]
PHOENIX - Phoenix Suns officials were meeting with Alvin Gentry on Sunday afternoon to finalize a agreement for him to replace Terry Porter as head coach, an NBA source with knowledge of the talks said.

Gentry, the Suns' lead assistant who has previously been a head coach with the Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit Pistons and Miami Heat, will take over for at least the remainder of the season.

The Suns expect to formally announce the coaching change Monday.

Porter was hired eight months ago after friction between previous coach Mike D'Antoni and Suns GM Steve Kerr led D'Antoni to take the New York Knicks' job. Suns management tasked Porter with improving the team's defense and holding the younger players, most notably Amare Stoudemire, more accountable, but Porter's rigid style quickly alienated most of the locker room.

Porter also shifted the team's run-and-fun offense toward center Shaquille O'Neal, marginalizing the effectiveness of point guard Steve Nash. Raja Bell and Boris Diaw, two cornerstones of D'Antoni's system, chafed under Porter and were traded in December to the Charlotte Bobcats for Jason Richardson.

Porter eventually loosened the reins on the Suns' offense, but the team didn't show much improvement, losing eight of its last 13 games heading into the All-Star break.

The day after a loss to the Chicago Bulls two weeks ago, Grant Hill gave an impassioned talk to his teammates, urging them to have fun and play for each other. According to a Suns source, Porter then walked into the locker room and spent the next two-plus hours showing the players everything they had done wrong in the game.

"That just drained all the energy from the room," said the source. "You could see it on everyone's face."

Porter had one more guaranteed season on his contract worth $2 million.

Link

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

nerd.gif

Rice_mike_cropped.jpg

Avery, Porter... 2 disciplinarian type coaches that got the boot.

In this day and age, it's hard for players to go all out for a guy like that unless he has some chips on his resume (ala Riley).

Waking dudes up at 8 am to dress for practice? Come on Terry....

Suns fans must be praying for a change of ownership and change of GM .

Robert Sarver is a cheap bastard .

Steve Kerr has no idea how to run a NBA Franchise and is a 1st time GM.

Suns looking like the Clippers right now at how they're franchise is being managed.

i didn't expect phoenix to struggle this much this season, remember they only finished 2-3 games behind the lakers in the divsion last season. before theseason started i thought they were going to challenge the lakers tough this season.

i remember during the 2006 draft, the suns either sold or traded their draft picks for nothing and i was thinking to myself damn this team is cheap andhopefully this will be a sign of things to come.

im waiting to hear the come back jerry chants and the see the we miss colangelo signs at the usairways arena.

Back
Top Bottom