Sup NT, I've survived a 7.1 earthquake and now a 6.3 vol. My city is in ruins

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Originally Posted by I3

^^ Thanks man, did you feel it there? I've got a friend in Dunedin who said he felt it slightly.

Yeah, 17 were just confirmed dead on 3news.

%+%@ is sad man.

A few workmates said they felt in the office, but I didn't feel anything (maybe I was walking).

Wait.. they updated it to 65 dead.. +$@*.. this is insane.. whats it like in the CBD or town/? On TV it looks like total chaos.. %%%!!!

Stay safe!!

Yeah 65 confirmed dead.

Even here if you're walking around you can not feel a 3 mag, but then you have tell tale things that move that you immediately look for.

The city is %*+%%$. I actually made a blog post on Saturday about how heaps more buildings down Manchester street had been demolished, and then commented on how well the churches have stood. That we still needed to do a big clean up.

I spoke too soon.

I honestly don't know if we'll have this cleaned up before the world cup.

City is %*+%%$. I've just finished up working at Platinum Nike on Cashel street, and was there for the Boxing Day quake, but apparently there are casualties down there. I haven't actually seen any footage of Cashel Mall yet. I've asked my mate (the manager of Platinum) if he got a hold of the girls that were working today, but haven't heard anything as yet.

@UPPTEMPO I love architecture too and this kills me, those churches are insanely beautiful, I really hope they can be reinstated.

@ALDY thanks about the set up
laugh.gif
Stay safe. I might come down there to help out. I'm an RN and we're instructed to stand-by at the moment.. I'm from welly too..

*+%# seemed very intense, hope you do well. My dad is from Lower Hutt, only has friends in Christchurch but still hit him hard.

*+%# seemed very intense, hope you do well. My dad is from Lower Hutt, only has friends in Christchurch but still hit him hard.

Scary stuff man. Im from Hamilton and was in Christchurch just last week. Been following all day, %### is seriously terrible. Feel for you guys.
Good to see your safe OP

Scary stuff man. Im from Hamilton and was in Christchurch just last week. Been following all day, %### is seriously terrible. Feel for you guys.
Good to see your safe OP

Originally Posted by AlRjordan

My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected.
frown.gif
Terrible stuff. Stay strong OP

This.%@$* is scary because we were just talking in my class about how Seattle is dude for a BIG one.

Originally Posted by AlRjordan

My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected.
frown.gif
Terrible stuff. Stay strong OP

This.%@$* is scary because we were just talking in my class about how Seattle is dude for a BIG one.

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Damn, only came on here to PM you to see if you were okay 
tired.gif
One of my friends moved down to dunedin 2 days ago to start university and she hasn't been able to contact her family yet. I've just felt sick all day . Heart goes out to you
Thanks man. I'm on vodafone and it's been cutting out off and on since. It's just really weird to think this is my city that I'm seeing on the news, you know? I was so lucky that I wasn't in one of those buildings that collapsed.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

crazy stuff sorry to hear that

so.... the ones who've passed. did they die from being hit by debris/ falling buildings???

If i felt the ground shaking id go run into the middle of the street or a field

I think for the most part, people who have died have either been in buildings that have collapsed, or were close to buildings that had collapsed and debris has fallen on them, like being in a parked car on the street.

You're studying in the construction industry right (if my memory serves me correctly), so am I and basically it's safer to be inside a building than it is to be outside because of falling debris. Our building code is really strict so the standards that our buildings have to meet are very high. We brace our buildings specifically for wind and earthquakes. It's why even though our initial 7.1 earthquake was slightly bigger than Haiti's, our buildings are far stronger than theirs and there wasn't as many injuries and no deaths. And the fact that unfortunately they had a buttload of concrete buildings without steel reinforcing in them. This one caused way more damaged because it was so insanely shallow.

@Japs24
Thanks man, glad to see a few more NZers than I normally do in here. It's very surreal. If you do end up coming down and helping out, make sure you stay safe too!

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Damn, only came on here to PM you to see if you were okay 
tired.gif
One of my friends moved down to dunedin 2 days ago to start university and she hasn't been able to contact her family yet. I've just felt sick all day . Heart goes out to you
Thanks man. I'm on vodafone and it's been cutting out off and on since. It's just really weird to think this is my city that I'm seeing on the news, you know? I was so lucky that I wasn't in one of those buildings that collapsed.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

crazy stuff sorry to hear that

so.... the ones who've passed. did they die from being hit by debris/ falling buildings???

If i felt the ground shaking id go run into the middle of the street or a field

I think for the most part, people who have died have either been in buildings that have collapsed, or were close to buildings that had collapsed and debris has fallen on them, like being in a parked car on the street.

You're studying in the construction industry right (if my memory serves me correctly), so am I and basically it's safer to be inside a building than it is to be outside because of falling debris. Our building code is really strict so the standards that our buildings have to meet are very high. We brace our buildings specifically for wind and earthquakes. It's why even though our initial 7.1 earthquake was slightly bigger than Haiti's, our buildings are far stronger than theirs and there wasn't as many injuries and no deaths. And the fact that unfortunately they had a buttload of concrete buildings without steel reinforcing in them. This one caused way more damaged because it was so insanely shallow.

@Japs24
Thanks man, glad to see a few more NZers than I normally do in here. It's very surreal. If you do end up coming down and helping out, make sure you stay safe too!

yo, two large quakes in a span of five months is insane. glad you're alright OP, do be safe. the damage i've seen so far is heartbreaking, that cathedral especially. my JAFA friend was telling me that it may wind up being to unstable to rebuild in certain areas of the city - is that true?

yo, two large quakes in a span of five months is insane. glad you're alright OP, do be safe. the damage i've seen so far is heartbreaking, that cathedral especially. my JAFA friend was telling me that it may wind up being to unstable to rebuild in certain areas of the city - is that true?

OP, glad that you and your loved ones are safe. My prayers and condolences go out to those in NZ who are suffering from this disaster.
May I ask, how did your building hold up without being damaged (let alone collapse) as bad as the rest of the buildings shown on the news (other than the fact you may have been far away from the epicenter of the earthquake)?

OP, glad that you and your loved ones are safe. My prayers and condolences go out to those in NZ who are suffering from this disaster.
May I ask, how did your building hold up without being damaged (let alone collapse) as bad as the rest of the buildings shown on the news (other than the fact you may have been far away from the epicenter of the earthquake)?

Holla
it's all about lateral bracing... remember a lot of large buildings are concrete, and of course, you cannot pull concrete.

i'd hate to be in a poorly reinforced concrete building during an earth quake.

what are you studying? how can I determine if my education is recognized in NZ? i REALLY want to spend a couple years working/living there or even AUS in the next while

going to be A LOT of construction projects popping up to re build over the next ten years....blessing/curse for you

Holla
it's all about lateral bracing... remember a lot of large buildings are concrete, and of course, you cannot pull concrete.

i'd hate to be in a poorly reinforced concrete building during an earth quake.

what are you studying? how can I determine if my education is recognized in NZ? i REALLY want to spend a couple years working/living there or even AUS in the next while

going to be A LOT of construction projects popping up to re build over the next ten years....blessing/curse for you

Back
Top Bottom