Super Typhoon Haiyan - 10,000 Feared Dead

650x366_11051301_track.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

original.gif

Super typhoon Haiyan, likely the strongest storm to form on the planet this year, is heading toward a Friday morning landfall in the Philippines, posing an extremely serious threat to the central part of the archipelago.

The storm is near its theoretical maximum strength, with sustained winds of 290 kph, and is not expected to weaken significantly, due to very warm water temperatures along its path, reports the Washington Post.

Haiyan, known as Yolanda in the Philippines, is likely to push a storm surge of at least two or three meters along the eastern coast of southern Luzon and Samar islands, and will impact the area that was ravaged by the 7.1 magnitude earthquake in mid-October.

Have family in Taiwan, and luckily it's going to ride under it.

Read more: Typhoon Haiyan to Hit Philippines | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2013/11/06/th...-is-headed-for-the-philippines/#ixzz2k1OdE83P

I'm sure there are some NTers that have family in the Philippines. Prayers.

196 mph winds, 235 mph gusts :x

It registered 8.1 on the Dvorak scale, which only goes from 1-8.

Last edited:
Prayers to all the people in the Motherland and other countries/people affected
tired.gif

The visayas region in the Philippines where I usually go for vacation is going to get hit hard. My parents built a house there and I'm a bit worried about all the family I have over there.

Prayers to all in the wake of this storm and to any Nters families

Last edited:
i'm from Tacloban City. born there and have most of my family in the leyte region so i'm praying that they're good over there. by the looks of it they're getting the brunt of the typhoon. :smh:

Fathers family from the Bicol region and my mama got fam in Alabang and Tarlac

:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: I'm legit scared ya'll

I've heard so many typhoon news hitting the PI that I've become numb too it but this one has gotten my attention. That 8.1 scares the crap out of me. Not the religious type, however, my thoughts go out to any family members you guys may have including myself.

Right on top of the fams :smh:

I've been hanging out on facebook to get a clue of anything going on, but nobody is on fb obviously.... :smh:

It worries me because I know a lot of my fam's land in the PI are either below sea level or next to the shore...

Jesus christ bruh.

Have not heard bout this at all.

Hope everyone  stays safe.

"Nearly 750,000 people in the Philippines were forced to flee their homes."

"Tropical meteorology expert Dr. Jeff Masters said that with sustained winds at 195 mph and gusting to 235 mph, the storm was the strongest tropical cyclone on record to ever make landfall and "the 4th strongest tropical cyclone in world history. The previous record was held by the Atlantic's Hurricane Camille of 1969, which made landfall in Mississippi with 190 mph winds."
  • A civil aviation official in the Philippines says he has received a report that more than 100 bodies are lying in the streets of a central city ravaged by Typhoon Haiyan.
  • More than 100 homes were flattened on the coast of Southern Leyte province, Gov. Roger Mercado told DZBB radio of Manila.
  • The town of Palo in Leyte province is reportedly under 10 feet of water from a storm surge, the official government news agency, PNA, said Saturday.
  • Officials are reporting that communications are down in Guiuan in Eastern Samar and they've been unable to get an update on the area--one that was harder hit with sustained winds of 146 mph and gusts of up to 170 mph.
  • Although Mindanao, the Philippines' southernmost island group, was spared from direct impact, some areas suffered damage. Surigao City was hit with strong winds and rain, which toppled trees and electric posts, although there have been no casualties reported to this point, ABS-CBN News said.
  • Kalibo and Caticlan airports, gateways to Boracay Island and its resorts, sustained damage, according to Civil Aviation Authority Deputy Director Capt. John Andrews. "We still don't know extent of damage in Caticlan Airport since we lost contact with them," he told ABS-CBN News.
  • At least 14 crew members of two cargo vessels in Guindulman, Bohol were rescued, according to ABS-CBN News. Power is also down in areas of Bohol, a province still recovering from the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that struck the area in October.
  • Tourists in Boracay were asked to stay in their hotels, Aklan Governor Florencio Miraflores told the Balitanghali TV program on GMA Network. Miraflores said the local government had asked hotel managers in Boracay to allow tourists to stay in the hotels at least until Saturday.
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/super-typhoon-haiyan-latest-news-20131108

Supposedly heading to Vietnam next.

Children torn from arms
Marvin Isanan said three of his daughters -- ages 8, 13 and 15 -- were swept from his arms by the storm surge. He and his wife, Loretta Isanan, had found the bodies of the two younger children.
"Only the eldest one is missing," Marvin Isanan said through tears. "I hope she's alive."
A woman at the airport said she escaped the water by climbing onto her roof. From there, she watched bodies float by.
Authorities have only estimates of the deaths. Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross, estimated that 1,000 people died in Tacloban and an additional 200 on the nearby island of Samar.
The airport now houses a makeshift morgue. Further inland, a CNN crew found a small chapel being used to house nine covered bodies -- five of them children.

MANILA — Up to 1,200 people were feared dead after Super Typhoon Haiyan — one of the most powerful storms ever recorded — slammed into the central islands of the Philippines, the Philippine Red Cross said Saturday.

That death toll estimate, made by Gwendolyn Pang, secretary-general of the Philippine Red Cross, was culled by field reports from the relief organization's workers, Richard Gordon, CEO of the Philippine Red Cross, told USA TODAY.

As Haiyan heads west toward Vietnam, the Red Cross is at the forefront of an international effort to provide food, water, shelter and other relief to the hundreds of thousands of residents who have lost their homes and livelihood, Gordon said.

"This is a big, full-court press," he said. "We're pulling out all the stops to help."

With widespread power outages, roads blocked, bridges down and debris strewn everywhere, getting life back to some semblance of normal in the region will take time.

"The Philippines are always resilient, and we're going to get back up," Gordon said.

Back
Top Bottom