Supreme Court ruling: Police can take DNA from you when arrested

My bad, I had the cases confused. It is a case in Missouri.

Missouri v. McNeely

http://www.theshapirolawfirm.com/Ar...thout-a-warrant-Supreme-Court-to-decide.shtml

"In Texas, a DWI suspect's blood may be drawn without a warrant for various DWI offenses such as third offense drunk driving and intoxication assault or manslaughter cases."

SCOTUS held that a warrantless draw doesn't constitute an exigent circumstance that would allow an officer to obtain a blood draw without first getting a search warrant. Because of SCOTUS' holding, Texas law may change. However, are you really worried about a warrantless blood draw for someone who is on his 3rd DWI or has just killed someone because he was drunk??

Regardless, in Texas, the general rule is that you can't get a blood draw absent consent or a search warrant.

Last edited:
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Cops are morons, thats why they became cops...............

Morons handling DNA will lead to nothing but Lulz................

By the way, don't be surprised to see Minorities get swabbed JUST A LITTLE more than their white peers...............

Negro Database?

Sigh..............

A lot of police departments are starting to require degrees.

Stop trying to always make this about race. Don't put your self in a bad situation and you won't have to worry about this effecting you

-You can be arrested for any moving traffic offense. Most cops will not arrest you for these offenses but they have the power to, which was granted by the Supreme Court of the United States. That includes speeding over 10 mph, rolling through a stop sign, changing lanes w/o signaling. Have you never done any of these things? ANY? If so, you need to stop putting yourself in situations in which you can be arrested.

-Studies have shown that blacks and whites use drugs and deal drugs in the same percentages. Yet, prisoners who are convicted of drug offenses are predominately black. Of course this has nothing to do w/ race. Shame on anyone for even mentioning it. Lets go back to our imaginary world and believe that police don't target certain people.

Post source and proof of this.

The Supreme Court just ruled that a warrantless blood test can be taken from anyone, all they have to do is arrest you. That doesn't' require probable cause or proof of guilt at all, just a cop pulling out some handcuffs and taking you to jail and filling out some paperwork. Yeah, I am worried about it.

We're talking about two different things right now. You brought up McNeely, which specifically dealt with warrantless blood draws based on the exigent circumstances exception. Now you're talking about the recent ruling regarding warrantless seizures of DNA.

You bolded my post regarding warrantless blood draws for 3rd DWI offense and other exceptions...and you're analogizing that to the warrantless DNA seizures...now I am confused.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Cops are morons, thats why they became cops...............

Morons handling DNA will lead to nothing but Lulz................

By the way, don't be surprised to see Minorities get swabbed JUST A LITTLE more than their white peers...............

Negro Database?

Sigh..............

A lot of police departments are starting to require degrees.

Stop trying to always make this about race. Don't put your self in a bad situation and you won't have to worry about this effecting you

-You can be arrested for any moving traffic offense. Most cops will not arrest you for these offenses but they have the power to, which was granted by the Supreme Court of the United States. That includes speeding over 10 mph, rolling through a stop sign, changing lanes w/o signaling. Have you never done any of these things? ANY? If so, you need to stop putting yourself in situations in which you can be arrested.

-Studies have shown that blacks and whites use drugs and deal drugs in the same percentages. Yet, prisoners who are convicted of drug offenses are predominately black. Of course this has nothing to do w/ race. Shame on anyone for even mentioning it. Lets go back to our imaginary world and believe that police don't target certain people.

Post source and proof of this.

Haven't finished but "The New Jim Crow"- Michelle Alexander

And some quick googling as well:

-" They point out that although Whites and African Americans use and sell drugs at about the same rates, Black men in 2003 were almost 12 times as likely to go to prison as White men. Although Black people are 12 percent of the population and 14 percent of drug users, according to Mauer and Cole, they comprise 34 percent of those arrested for drug offenses and 45 percent of those incarcerated in state prisons for such offenses.

Both men attribute disparities in incarceration rates in part to the way urban Black communities are policed.

'Police find drugs where they look for them," they wrote. "Inner-city, open-air drug markets are easier to bust than those that operate out of suburban basements. And numerous studies show that minorities are stopped by police more often than Whites.'" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keith-rushing/the-reasons-why-so-many-b_b_883310.html

-"Black youth are arrested for drug crimes at a rate ten times higher than that of whites. But new research shows that young African Americans are actually less likely to use drugs and less likely to develop substance use disorders, compared to whites, Native Americans, Hispanics and people of mixed race....The study, which was published Monday in the Archives of General Psychiatry, controlled for variables like socioeconomic status because rates of severe drug problems tend to be greater amongst the poor. Despite this, Native American youth fared worst, with 15% having a substance use disorder, compared to 9.2% for people of mixed racial heritage, 9.0% for whites, 7.7% for Hispanics, 5% for African Americans and 3.5% for Asians and Pacific Islanders." - http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/...ely-to-abuse-drugs-than-blacks/#ixzz2VJdR3g3f

-"Blacks have been arrested nationwide on drug charges at higher rates than whites for nearly three decades, even though they engage in drug offenses at comparable rates, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Using data obtained from the FBI, the report reveals the extent and persistence of racial disparities in US drug-law enforcement. The data also show that most drug arrests are for nothing more serious than possession."- www.hrw.org/en/node/81110/

-This is not necessarily because more minorities use or sell drugs, but because arrests are easier to make in disorganized inner-city areas where many minority dealers operate than they are in middle- and working class neighborhoods where white dealers operate." http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1996/1/96.01.10.x.html

And from my own experience in working the criminal justice system many people who are simply using, are convicted as dealers. Dealers b/c of stupid things having the drugs in a baggy. I don't purchase drugs, but when you do I imagine that its put into a baggy. And I don't think this is truly a blk/white thing. I've worked in a fairly large city and have gone to court daily for months at a time. I have literally never seen an Asian person charged w/ drug crimes.

You find criminals where you choose to look. As a race we need to clean our **** up, but we shouldn't be targeted while others aren't.

Back
Top Bottom