T shirt designs

its never going to be a final product. the process is ongoing but i guess what i meant is it took me years to get to a "starting point"

i've been at this for a while now, my son was born and is now in the first grade already and every day this project ive devoted the last 6 + years of my life too is brand new to someone.

anyways, cant believe i forgot to add this earlier but invest in some design books. even if you just check them out from the library, its important to see what other have deemed to be strong design and or logo design.

again best of luck.
It might not seem like it lol But I do have a couple design books. I have a couple logo lounge books, but they are more just examples with little explanation. Ill hit up the library, might as well since Im a student and have access to a great library. 

I think first you need to know what you want to do, seeing you post street wear designs on the top of the page and then something completely different at the bottom makes it feel like you aren't taking this serious.

Think about what you want the brand to communicate, who's going to be your audience.

Lastly, design design design! I couldn't tell you how many completed designs (not sketches) we have and we don't know if they'll ever release. I'm pretty sure P&C can say the same. 

I think first you need to know what you want to do, seeing you post street wear designs on the top of the page and then something completely different at the bottom makes it feel like you aren't taking this serious.

Think about what you want the brand to communicate, who's going to be your audience.

Lastly, design design design! I couldn't tell you how many completed designs (not sketches) we have and we don't know if they'll ever release. I'm pretty sure P&C can say the same. 
Yea I hear you. I am going to keep at it. Design, Design, Design. But I assure you, I am serious about this. The bottom designs are the direction I think im going with. They will obviously evolve and change throughout the process, but im only just starting to narrow down the direction now. Maybe posting those first designs was premature, but I really just posted what popped into my head for better or worse. 

Does anyone remember a t-shirt posted a long time ago with a drawing of a guy shooting his head, and birds flew out the other side?  I thought it was dope but could never find it again.

Don't know what shirt you're talking about but I believe that's a Banksy image.

Just google search with Banksy and I'm sure you'll find it.

Hey Frank.
Here are a few things that I have learned along the way on my journey creating Random Objects that I hope will help you.
A few of the things I am going to mention may have already been said by other members.

The first thing that I would tell you is:
1. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED
Even if someone does not like your designs... KEEP DESIGNING ANYWAY!
My first attempt at starting a line failed miserably, but that lose was a great learning experience (wasn't great for my wallet though :tongue:)
I then refocused, developed a CLEAR concept, and started Random Objects in 2008 and have been going strong ever since.

2. DO YOUR RESEARCH
Many start-up labels forgo this step which can be fatal! You need to understand what is trending in the current market.
What programs are serious designers using (illustrator and photoshop)
How do I create a "good" website?
Who is my target audience?
What blanks does my audience prefer (cut and fit)?

3. BE ORIGINAL
This is lacking in today's market. You should really try to come up with an original concept, theme, or a signature "look" for your brand.
If someone can say "Your brand reminds me of ______ ", then you need to rethink things.
Too many brands just try and throw a half naked woman, a crown and swords, or a dead rapper on a tee and think that they are going to make it :smh:
Don't just print your logo on a bunch of tees. The reality is that 99.99% of people will not know [or recognize] your logo, but they might love your design!
Let your designs speak for your brand!

4. START SMALL
Don't try and print 7-10 designs 100 tees per design. Start with a small run of about 4-5 designs and see how that goes.
If it goes well print more, and in time a a few more designs. If it doesn't go well at least you have reduced you losses.
A few hundred compared to a few thousand is a big difference!

And lastly
5. THIS IS A MARATHON, NOT A RACE
I have seen many brands come and go, but you need to have both short term and long term goals for your brand.
If you want to get rich quick, then this business is not for you!
For example a brand like the The Hundreds worked hard and grinded for years to get where they are today (I know because I have been following them for years... research lol). They have put in the work to become a major brand in the industry; it don't just happen in a year!
Enjoy the journey because it is an interesting ride.

I hope that something I have ranted about will help you out with the future. Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Frank.
Here are a few things that I have learned along the way on my journey creating Random Objects that I hope will help you.
A few of the things I am going to mention may have already been said by other members.

The first thing that I would tell you is:
1. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED
Even if someone does not like your designs... KEEP DESIGNING ANYWAY!
My first attempt at starting a line failed miserably, but that lose was a great learning experience (wasn't great for my wallet though
tongue.gif
)
I then refocused, developed a CLEAR concept, and started Random Objects in 2008 and have been going strong ever since.

2. DO YOUR RESEARCH
Many start-up labels forgo this step which can be fatal! You need to understand what is trending in the current market.
What programs are serious designers using (illustrator and photoshop)
How do I create a "good" website?
Who is my
What blanks does my audience prefer (cut and fit)?

3. BE ORIGINAL
This is lacking in today's market. You should really try to come up with an original concept, theme, or a signature "look" for your brand.
If someone can say "Your brand reminds me of ______ ", then you need to rethink things.
Too many brands just try and throw a half naked woman, a crown and swords, or a dead rapper on a tee and think that they are going to make it
mean.gif

Don't just print your logo on a bunch of tees. The reality is that 99.99% of people will not know [or recognize] your logo, but they might love your design!
Let your designs speak for your brand!

4. START SMALL
Don't try and print 7-10 designs 100 tees per design. Start with a small run of about 4-5 designs and see how that goes.
If it goes well print more, and in time a a few more designs. If it doesn't go well at least you have reduced you losses.
A few hundred compared to a few thousand is a big difference!

And lastly
5. THIS IS A MARATHON, NOT A RACE
I have seen many brands come and go, but you need to have both short term and long term goals for your brand.
If you want to get rich quick, then this business is not for you!
For example a brand like the The Hundreds worked hard and grinded for years to get where they are today (I know because I have been following them for years... research lol). They have put in the work to become a major brand in the industry; it don't just happen in a year!
Enjoy the journey because it is an interesting ride.

I hope that something I have ranted about will help you out with the future. Cheers
The fact that you even took the time to respond is greatly appreciated. I really value good advice, and this is as good as it gets. I understand that this is not a get rich quick thing, and that was never my goal. Obviously many more years of hard work are ahead of me, but Im looking forward to the ride wherever it takes me. I will keep designing and designing. Nothing good comes easy, so im prepared to grind. 

Again man, I really appreciate the advice and admire your work. NT is a really good resource. Im glad some of you, especially the ones with clothing lines, are so willing to offer advice. 

Listen yo... don't ask people for their opinions. Everyone is a dream killer and the faster you realize that the faster you'll succeed.

Put it out there is my best advice and let the world give you its opinions sort of speak.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO MIGHT LIKE IT... but you will never know if you don't put it out just because 30 NT people said its wack.

The dumbest ideas catch traction, and earn millions.. does it mean they are still dumb? No..

But you will never know if it is never put out to the world to experience. Just release them and let the world take its course, it'll direct you in which way to go

Last edited:
Listen yo... don't ask people for their opinions. Everyone is a dream killer and the faster you realize that the faster you'll succeed.

Put it out there is my best advice and let the world give you its opinions sort of speak.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO MIGHT LIKE IT... but you will never know if you don't put it out just because 30 NT people said its wack.

The dumbest ideas catch traction, and earn millions.. does it mean they are still dumb? No..

But you will never know if it is never put out to the world to experience. Just release them and let the world take its course, it'll direct you in which way to go
I hear what your saying, but the hate doesn't bother me. If you tune out dream killers and listen to people that have constructive things to say, you'll get some really useful information. Solid advice is priceless, and for me, its worth all the dumb **** people wanna say. 

I hear what your saying, but the hate doesn't bother me. If you tune out dream killers and listen to people that have constructive things to say, you'll get some really useful information. Solid advice is priceless, and for me, its worth all the dumb **** people wanna say. 

My advice...focus on something else. You have the spirit, but not the capability. I, for about 1.5 years researched getting into a clothing brand, before I put the brakes on it.

First, you have to get your clothes produced. What sort of cost are you expecting for this? Will you use a screen printer to run off 100 shirts? Second, you have to get a website developed. This actually is not as expensive, if you can find a good overseas developer to work with. The website can run $1-4k as something usable that you could start with. Third, you have to market the idea properly and get this idea out to people. Clothing is a competitive business and you either have to be cheap, high quality, or great designs. It is hard to be cheap because a big chain can always put out much cheaper clothing, at a better quality. If you go for quality you have to develop a business before you develop a product. You need to have the money to actually start a company. The last option is where most fledgling people such as yourself are. In somewhat of a no man's land where dreams are big, but margins are nonexistent.

A simple cost example for the start-up cost for a non incorporated business (this means that if someone sue's since your designs look to similar you are basically liable with ur personal property, etc) clothing line. This is conservative, pretending that only you are drawing the designs, researching, etc

Website cost: $3,000
Hosting/upkeep cost: $150
Legal/accounting: $150
Marketing cost: $1,000
Time spent cost $5712 (6 months X 4.25 weeks a month X 7 days a week X 4 hours a day at $8 an hour for 714 hours)
Inventory $2600 (10 items (e.g jacket, sweatshirts, shirts, polos) * 20 quantity per item * $13 production cost including shipping

Total cost = $12,612

To be fair, disregard the initial website etc since they are fixed one time costs.

Total operating costs: $9,612
$9,612/200 items = $46.25 per item just to make it worthwhile expenditure of your time.

To be semi-realistic let's say you only can sell 125 out of the 200 items
$9,612/200 = $76.90 per item

I get that the dream is to get much bigger and grow it from there. If you are truly interested in a startup you should check out techcofounder and techcrunch. Just my thoughts from someone that has had a similar idea.

My advice...focus on something else. You have the spirit, but not the capability. I, for about 1.5 years researched getting into a clothing brand, before I put the brakes on it.

First, you have to get your clothes produced. What sort of cost are you expecting for this? Will you use a screen printer to run off 100 shirts? Second, you have to get a website developed. This actually is not as expensive, if you can find a good overseas developer to work with. The website can run $1-4k as something usable that you could start with. Third, you have to market the idea properly and get this idea out to people. Clothing is a competitive business and you either have to be cheap, high quality, or great designs. It is hard to be cheap because a big chain can always put out much cheaper clothing, at a better quality. If you go for quality you have to develop a business before you develop a product. You need to have the money to actually start a company. The last option is where most fledgling people such as yourself are. In somewhat of a no man's land where dreams are big, but margins are nonexistent.

A simple cost example for the start-up cost for a non incorporated business (this means that if someone sue's since your designs look to similar you are basically liable with ur personal property, etc) clothing line. This is conservative, pretending that only you are drawing the designs, researching, etc

Website cost: $3,000
Hosting/upkeep cost: $150
Legal/accounting: $150
Marketing cost: $1,000
Time spent cost $5712 (6 months X 4.25 weeks a month X 7 days a week X 4 hours a day at $8 an hour for 714 hours)
Inventory $2600 (10 items (e.g jacket, sweatshirts, shirts, polos) * 20 quantity per item * $13 production cost including shipping

Total cost = $12,612

To be fair, disregard the initial website etc since they are fixed one time costs.

Total operating costs: $9,612
$9,612/200 items = $46.25 per item just to make it worthwhile expenditure of your time.

To be semi-realistic let's say you only can sell 125 out of the 200 items
$9,612/200 = $76.90 per item

I get that the dream is to get much bigger and grow it from there. If you are truly interested in a startup you should check out techcofounder and techcrunch. Just my thoughts from someone that has had a similar idea.
No offense, but im not sure how you know what my capabilities are. I run a landscaping business that does well and I go to business school. By the time we build a solid business plan and have our merchandise produced, the money shouldnt be an issue. When we do decide to launch the brand, we have already decided that 15K will be more than enough to start. I have opportunities for loans, I have friends who have marketing companies, clothing stores, and have design businesses. These connections will help me when we decide to put out a product. I might have a lot of work to do, but Im capable of more than you obviously think. 

Back
Top Bottom