Target settling for $3.74m after being sued for racial profiling of job applicants

MalcolmNewton

formerly ironstark
Target settles claims it screened blacks, Hispanics out of jobs

Target Corp has agreed to review its policies for screening job applicants and pay $3.74 million to settle a lawsuit claiming its use of criminal background checks kept thousands of blacks and Hispanics from obtaining employment.

It resolves claims that Target, which has performed background checks for employment in U.S. stores since 2001, “imported the racial and ethnic disparities” in U.S. criminal justice system into its hiring, in part by disqualifying job applicants for convictions unrelated to the work they sought.

The Minneapolis-based retailer was accused of violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employers from discriminating based on race, gender and other characteristics.

that is almost literally nothing to a corporation of that size. I bet they lose more in shrink.

one of the biggest flaws in our current society is that in many cases, crimes do pay.

Now that I think about it, I rarely see any Hispanics or black people work at Target. I still love Target, though.

What's the draw at Target?

Haven't been in there since I decorated my first apartment almost 10 years agao.

The draw is that its always quiet and empty and less zoo like than Walmart.

Their customer service is on par with Walmart bad...but you can shop in peace there and the lines aren’t that long

Sometimes I wonder how they make money because only Black Friday is when I see a lot of shoppers there.

Haven't been in there since I decorated my first apartment almost 10 years agao.

Depends on the town, I have been to a few suburban Targets or close to a big city around and about and never really paid attention to their employees. I believe I've seen black workers in the one's I visited but these were diverse areas anyway.

Target, in general (to me) seems to draw the opposite types you'd see in Walmart, though there have been some videos lately of the usual suspects going on their racist rants at Target. Whenever I go into Target there are usually a bunch of middle class types, and always seems to be a gang of fine women (of all races) shopping as opposed to the circus I always see when I go into Walmart. When I go to Walmart I want to get what I need to get and get the heck up outta there as soon as possible.

I'd like to know which Targets these complaints were filed against.

I actually work for target right now, and i don't think this was really a general thing. We probably have as many minorities working in our district as we do their counterparts. My bosses boss is asian american, and her boss is asian american, and her boss is hispanic. It might be a geographic anomaly but i just wanted to say that people shouldn't paint such a broad brush.

My overall experiences with target has been pretty good overall, especially considering its retail. I've seen them go out of their ways to hire people with both mental and physical disabilities, and continue to support those employees. I work with and have worked with plenty of people who were physically handicapped, hell one of the girls who works with us has one arm.

I used to have a class with someone who worked at walmart and she was astonished at the way target treated us, not in a bad way, but actually giving a ****. There are still massive flaws of course, like pay, and being overworked, and **** like that, but we were always treated pretty well.

Are there bad employee stories about target, sure, when you have a gazillion employees its bound to happen, but overall i think target tries to build itself as a more polished walmart and really does try hard to do that.

I actually work for target right now, and i don't think this was really a general thing. We probably have as many minorities working in our district as we do their counterparts. My bosses boss is asian american, and her boss is asian american, and her boss is hispanic. It might be a geographic anomaly but i just wanted to say that people shouldn't paint such a broad brush.

My overall experiences with target has been pretty good overall, especially considering its retail. I've seen them go out of their ways to hire people with both mental and physical disabilities, and continue to support those employees. I work with and have worked with plenty of people who were physically handicapped, hell one of the girls who works with us has one arm.

I used to have a class with someone who worked at walmart and she was astonished at the way target treated us, not in a bad way, but actually giving a ****. There are still massive flaws of course, like pay, and being overworked, and **** like that, but we were always treated pretty well.

Are there bad employee stories about target, sure, when you have a gazillion employees its bound to happen, but overall i think target tries to build itself as a more polished walmart and really does try hard to do that.
Head of target public affairs
That u??? :nerd:

The draw is that its always quiet and empty and less zoo like than Walmart.

Their customer service is on par with Walmart bad...but you can shop in peace there and the lines aren’t that long

Sometimes I wonder how they make money because only Black Friday is when I see a lot of shoppers there.

Well said. There are two Target's by my apartment, and the newer one is actually pretty nice. I go there often.

Head of target public affairs
That u??? :nerd:

lol thats not what my paycheck says, nope i just wanted to add in my 2 cents. i saw a lot of people generalizing, and i can tell you guys that we are bad, but not even close to wal mart level bad.

Wait, I am confused, so they were sued becuase the plaintiffs didn't feel previous convictions should be weighed into the hiring process? Or just not for entry level jobs?

Well... they say WalMart is too ghetto, & have long lines. I like Walmart they usually got the better prices. Meh...

It resolves claims that Target, which has performed background checks for employment in U.S. stores since 2001, “imported the racial and ethnic disparities” in U.S. criminal justice system into its hiring, in part by disqualifying job applicants for convictions unrelated to the work they sought.

“Criminal background information can be a legitimate tool for screening job applicants,” but Target’s background checks were “harmful to many qualified applicants who deserved a fair shot at a good job,” LDF President Sherrilyn Ifill said in a statement.

sounds like they should have hired some people but didn't because of their criminal backgrounds. the work that was being sought after were for jobs where their criminal convictions shouldn't have mattered like a cart attendant or food worker.

Back
Top Bottom