Tattoos in Corporate America

I'd suggest you just rethink where you want it. Especially since you're just starting out in the corporate world. Even if you can cover it up 99% of the time.. what happens if you're boss asks you to go golfing or something like that.

This situation is exactly why even though I'm tatted.. you wouldn't see it unless im shirtless.

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

Originally Posted by az5950

I'm in NC, from NY but i graduated from A&T....my mindset was that I should probably wait a little, but I only plan on staying @ this job for 2 years @ the max...its an entry level position, and I took it just for the experience...my main concern would be in two years, when I apply to a larger company

Saw the post looked at the SN and was like oh +$% this my boy.... Seek what up son? U should've just hit me bro. U know I have had my half sleeve from wrist up for a good 3 years now and I have literally never had a problem with it. Right now I'm working more in the education setting as a career counselor but it's really no biggie. It's actually funny when people find out I'm sleeved up now cause so many people don't expect it from me. Trust me bro of u want it do it. Prepare for the long sleeve lifestyle but it ain't so bad

John whats really my guy....imma text you sometime this week...its a weird topic....i was contemplating it sometime this summer but for now I think imma just do a half sleeve...and I prefer long sleeves anyway...lol, imma link you though fam

team no tats.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Yeah

Any current teachers wanna weigh in?

A brotha has a tat below the elbow.
nerd.gif
Nothing thuggish.

Education is always going to be more lenient but I was surpised by some of the things ive heard regarding tattoos. I live in one of the more liberal places in the country son that might have something to do with it, but I've worked with people in the Oakland Unified School District who've said their tattoos and piercings actually helped them with employment. Made them come off as younger, cooler and more relatable with the youth. Either way at the end of the day if you're a black male trying to get a teaching gig at an urban public school you're a top prospect. You straight bro.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Neck and Face are no no, hands are no no too. Outside of that Unless you wear polos to work I don't see it being an issue. If you play golf though, older cats will give you a side eye I will say.

eyes.gif
Speakin of older fellas, i was at the gym minding my business lifting, next to me is an older dude, id say about 40-50 range, I have both of my upper arm tatted and i caught him staring at it and then shaking his head like son was in disappointment. I shrugged it off but def. expect stuff like this but do not let it get to you.

It was your horrible form. Not your tatts, buddy.

Really? Reaching bro....

Hmmm, my cousin have a dragon piece that is like the size of my hand, on his shoulders. He works in the paralegal field.

#Team No Tats. I feel like too many people have them nowadays. Unless I come up with something original and fly I will never get one. Shorties with tats are appreciated from time to time unless they and their ink are trashy.

Originally Posted by jmb1523

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by FOOLIO

just wear long sleeves. I'm 19 and have a half sleeve on my forearm, my rationale is that if its a job where I'm wearing short sleeves, its a job that won't care about whether I'm tatted.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Lol. but alot engineers and people like that wear mostly wear polo shirts with company logos.

yep

i work in the corporate world...and my coach(manager) is sleeved out. i have two big forearm tatts and im black.

our company attire is polo with company logo.

OP where you at in NC...RTP?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

You're black and you already have a lot working against you. Take whatever negative perception you associate with a white guy having tattoos in the office and multiple it by a 10. Hide your pieces bro.

Originally Posted by notes32

#Team No Tats. I feel like too many people have them nowadays. Unless I come up with something original and fly I will never get one. Shorties with tats are appreciated from time to time unless they and their ink are trashy.

Yeah, tattoos are corny for the most part.

Tattoos are so commonplace now a days that when 18 y/o's now are in the workplace, everyone will have them. They will be the norm

If you've established yourself in the company/sector then go ahead but if you're young and trying to make an impression get them where they're difficult to see. I just got a half-sleeve (upper arm) last August while I was interning at one of the largest investment management firms in the US and it had no impact whatsoever on my standing within the company. Even on Friday's, when during the summer you're allowed to wear short sleeve button-ups, and you could see the bottom 1/4 of my tattoo, no one ever said anything. It all comes down to a combination of the placement of the tattoo and how you present yourself.

Originally Posted by ectheg

large_tattoo_1.JPG

smokin.gif
how many young black males have a small tattoo on their calf, doe?
more times than not, they're inked up past their elbows...

22 and black that SEEN all my friends get inked up if it matters...

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by az5950

In my case, I'm a young Afro American male...24 to be exact, recent graduate and just attained a job @ this Software Company as a QA tester...business casual environment laid back atmosphere ...but I'm still apprehensive about sleeving my left arm, just because of the possible negative perception that could come from it.

I'm in the same exact environment, and I'm almost two years older...

Last year, I got my lower-right arm tatted and I'm looking to finish that and start on my lower-left arm soon...

Once you overcome that apprehensiveness and start ignoring the social stigmas, you'll be fine...

However, I do keep it respectful in my business setting and keep my arms covered in the building... especially during meetings, training, conferences, etc...

I do let my arms show when I'm walking about for lunch or when I'm out in the field when the weather's good...

I'd just advise you to keep it covered in your business settings, and keep a hoodie/cardigan at your desk for those days your wear short sleeves...

I'm an engineer for the gov't, btw...

It all comes down to a combination of the placement of the tattoo and how you present yourself.

This.

It depends on the culture of the company. I know a CEO of a Marketing Firm down here in New Orleans and dude has a full sleeve on his left arm. Legs are done and his back. I'm tatted, but not below the elbow.. Don't plan on going below but that's just my personal opinion, not dependent on what other people think. Do what makes you happy..

Originally Posted by akwong3845

Tattoos are so commonplace now a days that when 18 y/o's now are in the workplace, everyone will have them. They will be the norm
Yea, but its kind of disturbing that all of our youth is getting tatted up. Its not the tat that bothers me, I have them myself and work in a corporate setting; however none of them are visible with work clothes on even polos. Its the the lack of thought is put into the ink that they get, I feel that many don't think about the lasting impact that getting a tattoo has. Getting a tattoo now is a fad, and something that is permanent def shouldn't be...

It depends where you're at.

I'm in Chicago, which is a "liberal" city, but the business atmosphere is definitely more conservative. I don't ever see exposed tats and I work at a super laid back tech company.

If you work in a corporate setting you should be wearing long sleeve dress shirts 24/7 regardless I don't care if it's 100 degrees outside. You'll be inside anyway. With that said I would try to avoid them but if you really want one go ahead and get it. I always see dudes I never thought would have tats at company functions, they just don't go showing em off in the office.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by ectheg
how many young black males have a small tattoo on their calf, doe?
more times than not, they're inked up past their elbows...

22 and black that SEEN all my friends get inked up if it matters...

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I hear you, I just thought the pic was a cool example of  someone pulling off a tattoo in a professional environment.
But yeah probably not similar to what OP is looking for I'll admit. 

Originally Posted by KingZarus

It depends on the culture of the company. I know a CEO of a Marketing Firm down here in New Orleans and dude has a full sleeve on his left arm. Legs are done and his back. I'm tatted, but not below the elbow.. Don't plan on going below but that's just my personal opinion, not dependent on what other people think. Do what makes you happy..

Could be his own company....if it is, he makes the rules. 

I'll agree that tattoos are "so" common(place), but there's a certain faction of young people who get tats on their necks/face/hands without thinking about their futures.  Folks too into this YOLO movement and not thinking things through.  Like it was said, you're giving future employers another reason to NOT hire you based on your appearance.  It's sad, but books ARE judged by their covers.  If you're tatted, keep them covered through the interview process.  There are exceptions to every rule, but if you get hired....see what your co-workers are doing and if you see others revealing their tats etc., roll up your sleeves. 

You should not get any tats below your bicep. And if you had to ask you already knew the answer. Customers/clients/supervisors don't want that. It's beyond not being a good look. 

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

akwong3845 wrote:

Yea, but its kind of disturbing that all of our youth is getting tatted up. Its not the tat that bothers me, I have them myself and work in a corporate setting; however none of them are visible with work clothes on even polos. Its the the lack of thought is put into the ink that they get, I feel that many don't think about the lasting impact that getting a tattoo has. Getting a tattoo now is a fad, and something that is permanent def shouldn't be...

Definitely agree. That is what disturbs me moreso then the actual tattoo. Some people think the more ink, the better and that is not always the case.

Originally Posted by cord15

You should not get any tats below your bicep. And if you had to ask you already knew the answer. Customers/clients/supervisors don't want that. It's beyond not being a good luck. 

I've seen exceptions to the rule in almost every scenario. I still think the places you should never get tattoos are the neck, hands and legs. Othet then that, the rest of the tattoos can be covered up with clothing.

Also I believe that there is no way a company can fire you based on you having a tattoo after you get hired. They might try and fire you for something else but if they specifically say it is because of your tattoo, then you can sue them.

Originally Posted by cguy610

As a fellow Black man that understands th e corporate environment, why would you want to have one more thing going against you when you are trying to advance. So what if you won't get fired for a tattoo, that doesn't mean that you won't be one of the first to get laid off or turned down for a promotion.

To OP and all the lurkers, listen to this man. 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom