Tattoos in Corporate America

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

On a related note, have you guys ever been judged on wearing your normal, non-work clothes at work? I wear slacks and button ups all the time and we had a company picnic and I came in jeans, sneakers, white tee and SF Giants hat and I got all types of judgemental looks. Granted I am sort of the young one in the company (still...I am 30) but I thought that was way worse then when people see my tattoos when I am wearing slacks and a button up.
it has to be a generational thing. all the young people at my spot are usually in jeans and t shirt while the older cats go for business casual. no one has ever said anything to me though.  my immediate boss is younger and she wears jeans all the time. i wore a tie one day to work out the blue and one of my co-workers was like whats with the tie
laugh.gif
but i know my office is very atypical.

Originally Posted by JibHUNT7

Lead engineer for the irvine company. I got full Japanese sleeves on both arms. I rock short sleeves 95% of the time. If you ain't never heard of "the irvine company" google it and see if that's corporate enough for you. I don't think it matters as long as its not something people would find offensive. Just rock long sleeves and after your coworkers feel comfortable around you. Start rocking short sleeves. Just don't tattoo anything below your wrist. Like your hands or fingers. Or even your neck.If you're wondering. I'm 25 and Filipino. I wouldn't hire anyone with tattoos that look like crap. Or like it was done In a garage, my work ethic speaks for itself. (that's why I'm a supervisor)
I worked at Bank of America for nearly 3 years with a full sleeve and this is exactly how I played it off (btw i'm 21).  Nobody knew until after my first year with the company at a dinner party, everyone was shocked and some didn't approve but by then I had already gained everyone's respect.

I'm with a new company now and I'm playin it the exact same way, bout to sleeve up my leg next
pimp.gif

Been employed at my current job for over 4 years.  I deal with high end customers who may look at tattoos as a negative thing. I wear button ups and ties, but all my coworkers know I have tats.  I have never felt like I ever lost respect with or without them knowing I even had them.  Respect is gained and kept no matter what.  If you a B, you'll be a B with or without tattoos.  I'am the youngest employee at my company and I'am the Manager.  It's a Winery in Napa Valley btw.

-UNDFT-

Tattoos are pretty much socially acceptable but face tattoos will never ok. That @@$ is so stupid, especially when you got dumb @@$ like "R.I.P. RED -ZONE 6" down your damn jaw

Be logical, most people will or will not accept it but don out right flaunt it. Be conservative about it keep hands and neck clean. Other areas can be covered by long sleeves. Knowledge is power so long as you have that and left said places un marked you will be good to go. Ihave tats and I make sure to cover them up at work just the right thing to do when playing it safe.

this chicks mom was in town from la, i was at work cooking.  no idea who she is.  apparently she walked by the kitchen and saw me and told her she didn't approve.  i'm like 
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
lady saw me and didn't even say hi.  whatever though i'll never see the lady.

only co worker i had hate on my clothes was a dish washer.  "take off that fitted we aren't in the hood" i replied with "cut your mullet, we aren't south of the mason dixen." i don't think dude even knows what a mason dixen line is but whatever.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Sneaker Champ

always air on the side of precaution, wait until you establish yourself
Irony.
I work in a corporate environment where all of the partners/bosses are older and more conservative. All these trendy tattoos and piercings the young people are getting are going to hurt them tremendously indefinitely. The most accurate thing I saw in this post was that people look at you like you're Riff Raff if you have all that. Even for administrative staff, the tatted up person is usually the first one to get the cut when the time comes.

Originally Posted by 21shots

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.
laugh.gif
i don't even

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

Unless you come to work in short sleeves like Dwight Schrute, I really don't ever see tattoo sleeves being a problem.

Also, #%#! corporate America
grin.gif

companies nowadays don't really care. Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, google, facebook etc don't really have a dress code unless you are in management or are dealing with outside customers/suppliers on the regular. Plenty people have visible tattoos in the corporate world. Times have changed.

Back
Top Bottom