Ten years ago today, Allen Iverson didn't want to talk about practice...

This still cracks me up til this day.

Iverson is still one my favorite players of all.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

My favorite player ever.. but that last line in the video sums up where he is now " How the hell can I make my team better by practicing"
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Co-sign on everything, but I'd still rather be his teammate than Jordan's though...

Originally Posted by FullMetal

This joint slaps�
pimp.gif

Sad that this wasn't on page one, where it should have been. 
That AI rant was Legen... wait for it.

DARY

Vid is Funny and Sad at the same time. Worst part is at about the 0:50 mark....he thinks they're laughing with him, when in reality they're laughing at him
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DMan14

remember the outrage when he was about to drop 40 bars lol
Yo, I thought 40 Bars was pretty dope, especially compared to the other athletes who tried to rap
laugh.gif

I love AI but the more I watch videos like these that I though were great when I was younger, the more I see how misguided dude was...
Dude really asked how can he make his teammates better though practice?

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

My favorite player ever.. but that last line in the video sums up where he is now " How the hell can I make my team better by practicing"
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Yes, he had no supporting cast. It was just a one man team. 

Thanks for tha transcript ybd.

The sad thing is that the "practice" part is all anyone talks about and remembers. But the conference as a whole was pretty revealing. Dude was hurting emotionally, that's all.

I usually hate these types of me, me, me displays, but I think Iverson is where he is today because of this attitude. It came back on him so I won't judge. However, AI is the man. I respect him most for his competitive fire and that unmatched skill.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I love AI but the more I watch videos like these that I though were great when I was younger, the more I see how misguided dude was...
Dude really asked how can he make his teammates better though practice?

30t6p3b.gif

Yeah, this whole episode is sad - the guy had so much talent and just couldn't see how he was hurting his team. He basically blamed his teammates for not being able to play with him and them made weird excuses about not lifting weights or practicing shooting. He could have been so much. It feels weird saying that he wasted his talent when he was so good - but he could have been incredible.

Originally Posted by you big dummy

For those that didn't know, that 2 minute soundbite was a small part of a 40 minute press conference, that I've been searching for years now.
nerd.gif

Here's the transcript of the entire press conference

[font=helvetica,arial]
[/font]
WOW, thanks for posting that man. I have to say it's shame that the one soundbite about practice is all anybody will remember this for. He said a lot of revealing/insightful things there and they got completely brushed aside so everybody could make him look like a %%+!$*% that only bemoaned having to talk about practicing.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I sympathize with what he's saying; even though it's the media's job to ask him questions about his performance and what went wrong etc, at the end of the day he's still a human being with a job and a family just like anyone else. We all have days at work that don't end up going well and none of us have to answer to a media swarm about why we didn't land a certain project or why do we think our coworker said what he did about your working relationship etc Kids at school aren't asking our sons and daughters why we bombed our presentation and if we're gonna get fired. Especially after losing somebody close to him he probably was not in the mood to be dealing with people tearing him down at that time and just wanted to relax and spend time with friends and family.

Unfortunately instead of empathizing with his issues or attempting to understand his side of things, the media never really attempted to project the same issues they faced in their lives onto his. He was just a young black athlete that looked different than them and dressed like a thug and made millions of dollars, and never apologized for who he was or how he played. I think he understood that the criticism and questions came with the territory, but  he felt (and rightly so) that a lot of it was unwarranted given that he had taken a roster full of scrubs to the Finals the previous year and played his heart out every second he was on the floor. He was trying to make them understand that a multimillion dollar contract doesn't equip him and his family with an emotional shield that makes them impervious to excessive negativity, or make the loss of a close friend hurt any less. Of course nobody paid any mind to that, and instead clipped out all his mentions of practice into a 30 second clip that further perpetuates the selfish caricature they had made him out to be.

I don't think anyone would identify me as an AI "fan," though I appreciate him as a player. And he's ultimately responsible for the unfortunate spot he's in now, but it's just kinda sad IMO to see how the media can shape how we view an athlete/celebrity so easily. I'd never read any of that transcript before and I'd bet 99.5% of sports fans who know about the "Practice" press conference haven't either.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by you big dummy

For those that didn't know, that 2 minute soundbite was a small part of a 40 minute press conference, that I've been searching for years now.
nerd.gif

Here's the transcript of the entire press conference

[font=helvetica,arial]
[/font]
WOW, thanks for posting that man. I have to say it's shame that the one soundbite about practice is all anybody will remember this for. He said a lot of revealing/insightful things there and they got completely brushed aside so everybody could make him look like a %%+!$*% that only bemoaned having to talk about practicing.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I sympathize with what he's saying; even though it's the media's job to ask him questions about his performance and what went wrong etc, at the end of the day he's still a human being with a job and a family just like anyone else. We all have days at work that don't end up going well and none of us have to answer to a media swarm about why we didn't land a certain project or why do we think our coworker said what he did about your working relationship etc Kids at school aren't asking our sons and daughters why we bombed our presentation and if we're gonna get fired. Especially after losing somebody close to him he probably was not in the mood to be dealing with people tearing him down at that time and just wanted to relax and spend time with friends and family.

Unfortunately instead of empathizing with his issues or attempting to understand his side of things, the media never really attempted to project the same issues they faced in their lives onto his. He was just a young black athlete that looked different than them and dressed like a thug and made millions of dollars, and never apologized for who he was or how he played. I think he understood that the criticism and questions came with the territory, but  he felt (and rightly so) that a lot of it was unwarranted given that he had taken a roster full of scrubs to the Finals the previous year and played his heart out every second he was on the floor. He was trying to make them understand that a multimillion dollar contract doesn't equip him and his family with an emotional shield that makes them impervious to excessive negativity, or make the loss of a close friend hurt any less. Of course nobody paid any mind to that, and instead clipped out all his mentions of practice into a 30 second clip that further perpetuates the selfish caricature they had made him out to be.

I don't think anyone would identify me as an AI "fan," though I appreciate him as a player. And he's ultimately responsible for the unfortunate spot he's in now, but it's just kinda sad IMO to see how the media can shape how we view an athlete/celebrity so easily. I'd never read any of that transcript before and I'd bet 99.5% of sports fans who know about the "Practice" press conference haven't either.
If anything, the full transcript makes him look worse than the soundbite.

Back
Top Bottom