TENNIS HEADS: RECCOMEND ME A GOOD TENNIS RACKET...vol. tennis class at UT

so im taking tennis class, and was looking to get a good racket...not the cheapest...not the most expensive...but a nice, quality one for a decent price...

i plan to play often now that i am taking the class....

any help would be great

i would recommend the Babolat Pure Drive. It's good for beginners as well as skilled players. I use it personally and played 4 years of high school tennis.

It doesn't matter if it's used either. I would try to go to ebay to find used Pure Drives. I'd say it'd run around $100 or less.

What's your skillset? Beginner? Get the Babolat Pure Drive or a Wilson N-Code if you're strapped and looking for a decent beginners racket..

Just the same as the guitar should match the ability of the player, so should the tennis racquet. Prince EXO3 Racquets. 11oz.

Is it fair to assume that you're a beginner?

I'd recommend digging in TennisWarehouse's sale section... lots of good deals in there. The nCode, PureDrive, Radical & EXO are all good lines ofrackets, but within those line, there are specific models to choose from... I suggest looking at the different specs of the rackets, cuz for me, ultimately,thats the most important part. The weight, balance, headsize, swingweight, etc...

The last thing you want to do is get "Federer's or Roddick's racket"... these 'advanced' or'players' rackets are usually much more heavier and are too low-powered for beginners. Fed also uses a 90 sq. inch racket-head, which, IMO, is toosmall for most beginners/intermediate players. The pro's are generally a lot stronger and, more crucially, have much better timing on hitting the ball,which is why they don't need high-power rackets. Their timing and strength allows them to generate their power and placement. The pros are also able tohit the ball on the sweetspot of the racket much more consistantly than everyone else. Beginners/intermediates using a 90 sq.in racket will end up shanking alot of balls...

And its not really about how strong of an individual you are... getting your timing/footwork down is much more important. Power is nothing if you can'tcontrol/place the ball.

Specs-wise, I'd recommend something like... assuming you're a beginner.
Weight - around 300g or 10oz. or so... give or take,
Headsize - around 100sq. inches and up. I'd say 107 sq. inches would be even better...
Balance - I'd say lean towards getting a more "head-heavy" balance just to give you a bit more power...

Anyway, as I said, look around in the TennisWarehouse sale section... no need to spend $200 to get the latest/newest pro models... You can get a very goodracket for $50-80...

So, are you a beginner?

Anyway, out of the 2 you have chosen... both are relatively similar... but I guess I'd go with...
Prince Triple Threat Scream
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-TTSCRM.html

... simply because I like racket-head shape more than the ThunderCloud...

Also, you're gonna need to get it strung I think... go with good-ole Prince synthetic gut... @ around 55-60lbs...

Back
Top Bottom