TEXAS HAS EXECUTED AN INNOCENT MAN. MUST READ.

The New Yorker Magazine has recently published a 17 page story about Cameron Todd Willingham, a innocent man who was executed for arson. I know most of NTisn't interested in reading 17 pages, but it really is a facinating story about how flawed science and law can be. Here is a short summary of the case.

090907_r18772_p465.jpg

Cameron Todd Willingham was a poor man living in Texas with his wife Stacey and his three kids.

A fire broke out in his house and he managed to escape, but his three children perished. His wife was out of the house at the time.

A arson "expert" found 20 signs of arson. These arson experts were not experts in science and relied on "intuition". Vasquez, the arson expert in this case, has found signs of arson in 90% of the cases he studied, an impossible number.

The other evidence against Willingham was a jailhouse snitch (who later recanted his testimony), and 2 psychiatrists who ruled Willingham a "sociopath" (although they had never even met him). Also included as evidence was the tattoo shown in the photo above, and a led zeppelin poster hanging in his bedroom.

Willingham was not able to afford an attorney, and was provided a public defender who was utterly useless to him.

30 days from his execution date, a Cambridge chemistry expert reviewed the case and found that the evidence against Willingham had no scientific basis, and was completely junk.

However, Texas turned down all of his appeal efforts, and Willingham was executed in 2004.

More and more true scientific experts have reviewed the case, and found NO signs of arson.

Link to story - http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann?currentPage=1

The point of this post? The American legal system is far from perfect, and it is possible for an innocent man to be executed. Texas is currently reviewing thecase, but the damage has been done. They say that many arson cases might not actually have been arson, and who knows what other innocent lives are currentlyjailed because of faulty science and a poor legal system. Basically just a sad story altogether, and something to think about. RIP to all the lives lost inthis case
frown.gif

One fireman, who had an air tank strapped to his back and a mask covering his face, slipped through a window but was hit by water from a hose and had to retreat.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Read all the facts first, not just the ones a magazine across the country digs up to try to show how corrupt the Texas Death Row is. This guy set this up fromthe start. Why did he have a refrigerator in front of the back door? Why didn't he take his oldest daughter out with him when she came and woke him, afterwhich she was found IN HIS BEDROOM, where he was asleep? Explain the two previous attempts to kill the kids. Typical article from some reporter trying touncover some ugly truth and get a movie about their life.

interesting. my professor was discussing this in my sociology class yesterday. after reading almost everything on it, i believe the guy is innocent.

but don't get me wrong though, there is soooo much info on his backround that makes you think he did it. but based on the facts from the house on thatnight, he is innocent. sucks that they basically used his "situation" as evidence. not cool with that at all.

1. The event which caused the three childrens' deaths was the third attempt by Todd Willingham to kill his children established by the evidence. He had attempted to abort both pregnancies by vicious attacks on his wife in which he beat and kicked his wife with the specific intent to trigger miscarriages;

2. The "well-established burns" suffered by Willingham were so superficial as to suggest that the same were self-inflicted in an attempt to divert suspicion from himself;

3. Blood-gas analysis at Navarro Regional Hospital shortly after the homicide revealed that Willingham had not inhaled any smoke, contrary to his statement which detailed "rescue attempts;"

4. Consistent with typical Navarro County death penalty practice, Willingham was offered the opportunity to eliminate himself as a suspect by polygraph examination. Such opportunity was rejected in the most vulgar and insulting manner;

5. Willingham was a serial wife abuser, both physically and emotionally. His violent nature was further established by evidence of his vicious attacks on animals which is common to violent sociopaths;

6. Witness statements established that Willingham was overheard whispering to his deceased older daughter at the funeral home, "You're not the one who was supposed to die." (The origin of the fire occured in the infant twins bedroom) and;

7. Any escape or rescue route from the burning house was blocked by a refrigerator which had been pushed against the back door, requring any person attempting escape to run through the conflagration at the front of the house.
None of these establish enough probable evidence to find a man guilty to die. They make him seem less innocent of a character, but if these werethe best pieces evidence to condemn a man to die, SMH at Texas.

Im from Texas and they dont play with executions. They'd prolly shoot you at your hearing if they could.

Originally Posted by j671

DOWN WITH TEXAS
agreed, nothing but dirty hicks and rednecks.. all the hate foreigners have for the US stems from Texas, also most of the south.

The fact of the matter is, unless you can afford a great lawyer, you are at the mercy of a flawed legal system.

Angel

Originally Posted by duke4005

Read all the facts first, not just the ones a magazine across the country digs up to try to show how corrupt the Texas Death Row is. This guy set this up from the start. Why did he have a refrigerator in front of the back door? Why didn't he take his oldest daughter out with him when she came and woke him, after which she was found IN HIS BEDROOM, where he was asleep? Explain the two previous attempts to kill the kids. Typical article from some reporter trying to uncover some ugly truth and get a movie about their life.

I agree.

I just did a speech on the death penalty. It's crazy how flawed the legal system is. I still don't understand how such an outdated system of punishmentis still in effect to this day. It should never have been reinstated.

Back
Top Bottom