The AVENGERS Formula... Vol. What DC should have done

Pardon me, but this thread is going to go a little bit of everywhere in terms of comic book movies. I apologize in advance if go off on a tangent and digress. I will also try and throw in some pics for NT's who see a block of writing and hit the back button.

Side Note* - Yes I am that guy who annually posts a Marvel Vs. DC Thread using the Microheroez

I am an avid collector and have been a fan of both Marvel and DC comics for quite some time now. What really inspired me to start this thread was the discussion of whether the Avengers movie will be able to reach Avatar status at the box office or even surpass it. I've read many arguments supporting this notion and others claiming that it's just not likely.

Argument For:
The hype around the Avengers movie is nothing like we've seen before in terms of the way each movie serves as an episodic showcase of each member. This formula of having each hero have their own stand alone film is unprecedented. Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man/2, and Thor were created to introduce the world to these characters. Each one of these movies has performed well at the box office with Iron Man leading the way with over 300 mil. Who's to say this can't top Avatar numbers when you throw all of these dynamic actors in the mix. We hope this isn't X3 where they just have too much going on and the characters are just mashed together. This movie is still very far from debuting and already they give us a teaser. Almost a year in advance.

moz-screenshot.jpg
Incredible_Hulk_2.jpg
Thor+Movie.jpg
captain%2Bamerica%2Bchris%2Bevans%2Bmovie.jpg
iron_man_2_twitter1.jpg

Argument against: The most logical argument I've read about the Avengers not being able to top Avatar is the fact that the fans overlap. Every fan who went to see Captain America is probably the same fan who went to watch the other movies as well. With this in mind, do the comic geeks of the world really have enough pull to make Avengers the all time draw?

Now... I will say a few things about the casting/continuity of these movies.. Although Marvel has tried to keep this cinematic universe intact, there have been some mishaps. Yes, the switch from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle was annoying but most people were able to look past that just because War Machine is more of a complementary hero. But the Hulk? Cmon Marvel.. It's pretty clear that losing Norton for the Avengers was a huge smack in the face. He had a following based merely on his name. Expecting the fans to Men in Black their memory and see Ruffalo in the Avengers assuming the responsibility of the Jade Giant is undermiming and quite frankly insulting. But the show must go on. Couldn't have chosen a better actor for Iron Man. RDJ IS TONY STARK. I also believed in Chris Hemms as Thor. Chris Evans as Captain America I was a little ehhhhh about it when first hearing the news. I was afraid of the Ryan Reynolds effect. I didn't want Chris Evans being his usual jokster self cracking one liners ala the Human Torch character. Cap was different and I'm so grateful that Evan's respected Cap for Cap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now on to DC... I could fill 10 pages of what I think about Warner Brother's and their creative team but I'll condense it. Like I had previously stated, The Avenger's movie got me thinking. I'm 24 years old now. What other movies in the comic universe will I get the privelege to watch that will make a run at the ALL TIME BOX OFFICE RECORD. Like seriously? What could happen that would make me die a happy man.... and it came to me. I believe it should go in this order... (In a perfect world)

AVENGERS # 1 movie of all time at the box office.. surpasses Avatar

WORLD'S FINEST (Bats/Supes) movie tops Avengers

AVENGERS 2 ... tops World's Finest

JUSTICE LEAGUE .. tops AVENGERS 2 (Hopefully DC will get their $!@ together and when they do, I see the JL topping Avengers 2. This would quintessentially be World's Finest 2 but after a couple of stand alone movies ala aquaman, Green Lantern, Flash, WW.. they'll epically form this)

You guys know what I'm gettin at right? ..

MARVEL VS. DC (AVENGERS vs. JUSTICE LEAGUE) However you want to spin it. If this epic crossover happens on the big screen I will die a happy man. Both Marvel and DC can surely put their ego's aside to rank in the TOP GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME RIGHT??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I leave you guys with this Note on how DC should have went about the Justice League.

Picture-169.jpg
henry_cavill_superman_cover.jpg
BruceWayneTDK.jpg

We have our Batman and that's BALE. Screw Nolan and his selfishness trying to keep Batman in a world of his own. Henry Cavill is our Man of Steel. Bradley Cooper WAS our Green Lantern. I mean.. did you watch Limitless? His swagg alone could have pulled off Hal Jordan the way it was intended. RYAN REYNOLDS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUR FLASH. WW and AQUAMAN are a diff story.. If both were casted right.. the Justice League movie could have been epic.. That's all folks.

PS. Share your thoughts. These are my opinions.

Why does it say I'm a registered User and not a registered member? -.-

~GQute

I don't fault DC for not doing a Justice League movie because the fact is we're only getting an Avengers movie right now because Marvel decided to swing for the fences and do something that no one ever really thought possible. It's too late for them to create new movie universe if you want to include all the previous actors unless the new Superman movie is going to be the start of it.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

I don't fault DC for not doing a Justice League movie because the fact is we're only getting an Avengers movie right now because Marvel decided to swing for the fences and do something that no one ever really thought possible. It's too late for them to create new movie universe if you want to include all the previous actors unless the new Superman movie is going to be the start of it.

This.

Keep it consistent Hollywood, quit changing the characters. If any of these movies are made they will throw some unknowns in there to save some money

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Who would win in a fight. Thor or Juggernaut?
thor with odin's powers would definitely beat juggernaut. 
thor without odin's powers would fight juggernaut to a standstill. they are both 100 strength class (hulk, juggy, and thor are 100). you would think that mjolnir would be the x-factor, but in some of the comics i've read, that hasn't been the case.  

Yea but there was no Antman movie sadly.

The Justice league could have worked IF they made good movies of everything not batman

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Who would win in a fight. Thor or Juggernaut?
5185747951_e956367694.jpg

It would be a fight.. but Thor would win no question...
IF Juggernaut were to possess the infinity gauntlet like he once did, they'd be more fairly matched.

Thor02.gif
vs.
JW_JuggernautClassic.gif

Not only that but DC likes to let the film director be in charge of the film, unlike Marvel who forces the storylines and a bunch of stuff to be added to the films and that is why Aronosfky and Favreau quit. 
And as much as I am looking forward to the Avengers film, I doubt it beats Avatar in th box office, I'd be very surprised if it even comes close to TDK.

I would love to see The Avengers make a run at Avatar

and while im pumped for Avengers im just as pumped for the next batman
grin.gif

Im not a big superhero follower but know the characters so can someone explain this to me...Captain America takes place in the WWII era correct? And the other characters are all in modern time? So how does it work out that Captain America is in the modern time with the other super heroes or am I wrong altogether with the time lines.

Sidenote: Ive only seen Ironman and the Hulk. I got to get around to seeing the rest of the movies.

^^^bro if justice league released with that cast, ticket sales alone from women would have made it a hugeeeee success....lol

Originally Posted by RFX45

Not only that but DC likes to let the film director be in charge of the film, unlike Marvel who forces the storylines and a bunch of stuff to be added to the films and that is why Aronosfky and Favreau quit. 
And as much as I am looking forward to the Avengers film, I doubt it beats Avatar in th box office, I'd be very surprised if it even comes close to TDK.
And how did that work for Superman Returns?

Originally Posted by Furrell

roll.gif
    We got an emo supes who's only feat was lifting an uninhabitable island out of the water.

Originally Posted by GQute

roll.gif
    We got an emo supes who's only feat was lifting an uninhabitable island out of the water.

who also got beat up by Kumar
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  But don't let the avy fool you, I'm always for good superhero movies and hope the next Supes movie delivers

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

Im not a big superhero follower but know the characters so can someone explain this to me...Captain America takes place in the WWII era correct? And the other characters are all in modern time? So how does it work out that Captain America is in the modern time with the other super heroes or am I wrong altogether with the time lines.

Sidenote: Ive only seen Ironman and the Hulk. I got to get around to seeing the rest of the movies.

Google some Captain America reviews/spoilers bruh.
I doubt many of us were around when these comics debuted, seeing as many of them are more that 40 years old, but were the Comics put together with the same formula?

As in, making each character popular, then subtly dropping them in each other's comics, then making "Super Teams"?

No, the first superhero crossover was Human Torch/Sub-Mariner and the first superhero team was the Justice Society in both those cases it was more like "Hey, why the hell not?" before that superheroes more or less operated in their own worlds.

Originally Posted by CareFreeJR

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

Google some Captain America reviews/spoilers bruh.
I doubt many of us were around when these comics debuted, seeing as many of them are more that 40 years old, but were the Comics put together with the same formula?

As in, making each character popular, then subtly dropping them in each other's comics, then making "Super Teams"?

pretty crazy, huh?
laugh.gif

We're all desperately waiting to see the Marvel Universe come together on screen in The Avengers on May 4, 2012 (assuming the date doesn't shift, that is). But it turns out the creation of that supergroup was an accident, brought about by an impending deadline and an artist with a drinking problem.
http://
Tom Brevoort, currently Marvel's senior vice president of publishing, has been answering fan questions over on formspring, and he recently revealed that the whole reason an Avengers comic had to be created was because Daredevil #1 was late.

According to Brevoort:
Bill Everett, with whom Stan co-created Daredevil, had both a day job and a drinking problem. And so production on Daredevil #1 fell way behind. In those days, you booked print time way ahead of time--and if your book wasn't ready, you paid for the printing time anyway. So it was vital to get something to press on time. But Bill Everett was a favorite of Martin Goodman, stemming back to the 40s when he created the Sub-Mariner. Regardless, there was suddenly a hole in the schedule, with no book where a book should be. In trying to solve this problem, Stan hit on the notion of doing a strip that brought all of the heroes together JLA-style--that would be a book that wouldn't require any ramp-up time, because the characters (and even the villain) all existed already. So he and Jack Kirby brainstormed the first issue, Kirby drew it up hastily, **** Ayers inked it in what looks like no time flat, and it came out the same month as X-Men #1.

So—no crushing deadline, no Avengers. Who knew?

http://blastr.com/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-why.php

It doesn't matter how that turns out. Look at how Daredevil and Elektra turned out. Look at how Iron Man 2 turned out. Look at how X3 turned out. Marvel fanboys always pointing at Superman Returns like Marvels franchise hasn't done anything wrong. I'd rather see Superman Returns over Daredevil or Elektra or Ghost Rider anyday. I would rather watch a film with the directors vision than what Marvel outlined for them and work from there, along with all the advertisements in the film. Such a Marvel fanboy thing to say. I mean seriously, I was watching IM2 this weekend and how relevant was it that they included a shot and a line for the new R8 convertible. "oh, it's the new model." 
DC is far from perfect and I'll call them out on it but some of you can't seem to accept that Marvel can do anything wrong. 
laugh.gif

It doesn't matter how that turns out. Look at how Daredevil and Elektra turned out. Look at how Iron Man 2 turned out. Look at how X3 turned out. Marvel fanboys always pointing at Superman Returns like Marvels franchise hasn't done anything wrong. I'd rather see Superman Returns over Daredevil or Elektra or Ghost Rider anyday. I would rather watch a film with the directors vision than what Marvel outlined for them and work from there, along with all the advertisements in the film. Such a Marvel fanboy thing to say. I mean seriously, I was watching IM2 this weekend and how relevant was it that they included a shot and a line for the new R8 convertible. "oh, it's the new model." 
DC is far from perfect and I'll call them out on it but some of you can't seem to accept that Marvel can do anything wrong. 
laugh.gif

Who said I was a Marvel fanboy? Fanboy or hater is something that comes up way too often on NT. I could care less about comics in general unlike most of you in this thread. The amount of crap that Marvel has pushed out is widely known but that's due to the fact that of most of those movies released, they don't have the rights to.

Iron Man 2 was garbage as was Superman Returns but it was definitely more entertaining than Superman and that's what I pay for. Easily up there as one of the worst comic book movies. *!!! a directors vision. DC let Singer have his way and he put out a steaming pile of crap.

Back
Top Bottom