THE BAR IS LOW-----

i cant help but notice that a lot of mediocure(spelled that wrong) songs and projects are getting a lot of praise these days. im not a hater. but dam. i know a lot of dudes are young and dont remember the golden ages of hip hop and rap music but c'mon b. dudes these days cant tell trash from hits. i was ridin round with my homie and we was bumpin some wiz so i switched it up and played some nas but he wasnt feelin it. said he dont **** with nas. but he downloads every new mixtape from wayne big sean basically this whole new movement. first to find out every time a yeezy track is leaked ect ect. he dont mess with gucci either but thats understandable. i think gucci has his moments where he spazz out tho. im only 22 but i was fortunate enough to grow up in a rap household. got to listen to biggie and pac in 97 and i later(around 2000 2001)(the kazaa era) did some research on hip hop music and culture while jay-z and nas were beefing. started listening to wu mobb deep common ect. dmx and ruff ryders where big back then too. they were nice wit it. a lot of the stuff that gets put out nowadays just dont compare to that. why is it like this? dudes be pumpin up kendrick lamar like he the second coming. his voice is extra annoying and his rhymes are not all that.why? they hyped up j cole but dude is just boring and average to me. this is why anybody think they can make it in the rap game. these "superstars" dont even have skills like that. yes im an elitist. ive never recorded a rap song(and i dont ever plan to) but i could rap circles around 100% of these dudes that are on. they must be suckin ***** to get on. only dude that goes hard in his raps is drake. the dude who sings and is from canada. the game ****** up

Last edited:
So why don't you?

Get your millions if you that nice.

And Nas is not the type of artist to play in the car. Wiz, Sean, Ross, Gucci, 2 Chainz, etc. bump in the whip. Boom bap beats aren't really something I'm tryna hear riding around on a Saturday night.

I do agree that the standard is lower so guys who are above average get hailed as the second coming, but I just think that hyping dudes up to be the next Pac sets yourself up for disappointment. If you walk into a Cole or Kendrick or Drake or Sean project with no prior expectations, and just take it for what it is, and NOT go into it with the mindset that "This ***** sings and is from Toronto, he not touching Hov" or "This high pitched weird *** ***** not touching Pac", then you will enjoy the music more.

EDIT: Your username is "Gangsta Grillz" . . . your taste in rap can't be that distinguished . . .

Last edited:
So why don't you?

And Nas is not the type of artist to play in the car. Wiz, Sean, Ross, Gucci, 2 Chainz, etc. bump in the whip. Boom bap beats aren't really something I'm tryna hear riding around on a Saturday night.

I do agree that the standard is lower so guys who are above average get hailed as the second coming, but I just think that hyping dudes up to be the next Pac sets yourself up for disappointment. If you walk into a Cole or Kendrick or Drake or Sean project with no prior expectations, and just take it for what it is, and NOT go into it with the mindset that "This ***** sings and is from Toronto, he not touching Hov" or "This high pitched weird *** ***** not touching Pac", then you will enjoy the music more.

EDIT: Your username is "Gangsta Grillz" . . . your taste in rap can't be that distinguished . . .
i dont have the resources luck and bread for that. im in a jam right now and will probably be in this jam for the rest of my life.

it was nas shoot em up tho.

big sean is so weak tho. i dont understand. they make rhyming words seem a lot harder than it actually is.

dont get me wrong i **** wit gucci krit spitta. and even project pat was a beast. but i just cant get down with this roscoe dash travis porter cashout ****.

dudes over here in chicago really be thinkin chief keef and them is nice. he young and can get better but he not good. his beats slap but everybody beats slap these days. producers might as well just do live shows on they MPCs. cause i rather watch that than most of these rappers perform. they barely be rapping and they still have to play a CD in the background
mean.gif

Last edited:
Drizzy :pimp:

Can't agree with you on Kendrick though. That boy nice.

Last edited:
Human kind has peaked. Tv, movies, n music. All garbage. If its good its a remake movie or show, or sampled song. The are few real innovations now a days.
Not saying nothing is good but a majority of the quality and lasting appeal of art and media is on the decline. Nothing can stay potent forever. Just lite one and wait for the rapture .

p.s. not that the bar is low, there just is no bar. prohibition.

Last edited:
Human kind has peaked. Tv, movies, n music. All garbage. If its good its a remake movie or show, or sampled song. The are few real innovations now a days.
Not saying nothing is good but a majority of the quality and lasting appeal of art and media is on the decline. Nothing can stay potent forever. Just lite one and wait for the rapture .
realtalk.

doing things different is looked down upon in this society...especially in chicago. its crazy as hell how these dudes copycat each other around here.

nothing is good these days. life is bad. music is bad. tv is bad. movies are bad. food is bad. commercials are bad. toys are bad. the cars are bad. everything is bad. i don't see how anything that comes out today brings enjoyment or happiness. let's all kill ourselves since the 90s are over.

**** it im droppin a tape this winter...

Do it! It's not like you actually need talent or anything to get a buzz these days.
Come up with a gimmick, something funny usually works quicker and then you're set.

Make a single with some EDM beat and a catchy hook, drop one mixtape, and do a few shows during the summer and you've made a decent amount of money

Yeah. Hip-Hop seems to be dying a slow death at the moment.....been like that for a couple years now but the quality projects seem to be getting less and less frequent and getting less and less support from consumers.

Maybe the art form will retreat underground and have a rebirth years down the line but right now the landscape is kinda bleak outside of TDE.

The most vibrant part of current day Hip-Hop for me, is the battle scene.

I agree OP, I'm not a fan of many of these new rappers coming out, expect Kendrick. It's gotten to the point where I can't even listen to the radio anymore, it's sad really.

Nah there are still innovative and great things out there its just that the majority of the world ignored it because it isnt hyped. Hence the Wire being one of the better shows in TV history but having no real push from the media so people ignore it. People say pusha's coke rap is wack but are lingering over every other GBE/ Bricksquad/ MMG trap tape (aka whateva the blogs push as hot next)

Etc. Etc. A lot of dope things are coming out but people won't follow unless there told too and its a shame because dopeness gets overlooked

So why don't you?

nah yo, i can play da entire illmatic and it was written back to back while im driving all day at work.

and boop bap on a saturday night? thats whats da poppin da most about those songs, they were tailor made to blast from boom boxes and car systems.

and yea, da bar is REAL low for rap right now.. Tahiry (joe budden's ex) is gonna start a career is rapping. tells you something about da genre.

So why don't you?

nah yo, i can play da entire illmatic and it was written back to back while im driving all day at work.

and boop bap on a saturday night? thats whats da poppin da most about those songs, they were tailor made to blast from boom boxes and car systems.

and yea, da bar is REAL low for rap right now.. Tahiry (joe budden's ex) is gonna start a career is rapping. tells you something about da genre.
True. You probably nearing your 30's and grew up in the New York rap prime in the late 90s/early 2000s

I'm younger than you and grew up in the South

I can respect Nas' talent, but it's not the type of thing I would play heading to a party

it's true there's a lot of weak stuff out there watering down the genre, but if you can't find any new music that you can mess with, you're not looking hard enough

100% cosign

Really noticed this when I looked at my Itunes and almost all the songs I play repeatedly are from 2008 and under (excepting Drake, Rocky, and Kanye)

I agree with you though... and kendrick lamar is OK... he's nothing special. Anybody can rhyme like that dude if they took a couple of semesters of college. The game is EFFED up... Foreal yall should listen to BLU or SENE.... now they got the real ish.

Back
Top Bottom