The Bicycle Thread

Did my longest ride yet over the weekend

C9C53766-5385-4AAB-968F-4229FAE73B2F.png

Had to walk to finish a couple of the hills

2FFAFD60-BAAF-4FD6-B4CA-B9ABC9FD19C4.png
9D1DFF35-80AA-4D40-81EB-C2200F8D0210.png
78966727-DC70-4B40-AA86-7F7A76196723.png

Honestly, I bit off a little more than I could chew with this ride only having 50 miles under my belt prior

gonna stick to shorter rides for awhile unless it’s less climbing involved

Where the pics of the bike man?

Did my longest ride yet over the weekend

C9C53766-5385-4AAB-968F-4229FAE73B2F.png

Had to walk to finish a couple of the hills

2FFAFD60-BAAF-4FD6-B4CA-B9ABC9FD19C4.png
9D1DFF35-80AA-4D40-81EB-C2200F8D0210.png
78966727-DC70-4B40-AA86-7F7A76196723.png

Honestly, I bit off a little more than I could chew with this ride only having 50 miles under my belt prior

gonna stick to shorter rides for awhile unless it’s less climbing involved
Congratulations on that ride homie! the hardest part is getting on the bike, and you did that! keep on keepin on

Moved to DMV area two years ago and the biking infrastructure is amazing; Mt. Vernon, Custis, W&OD, and Rock Creek are dope. Got myself a road bike and got back in shape. Moving to nyc at the end of the week and will miss DC for sure. Hope to move back one day. Farewell...for now.

IMG_3581.jpg
IMG_5729.jpg

Last edited:
FFS went to reinflate my tires and bent one of my presta valves :angry:

am i the only one who struggles this much reinflating the tires? **** is such a pain in the ***

Seriously, what am I doing wrong here guys?

I unscrew the cap, then loosen the little nut/valve, press down to let the rest of the air out. then put on the presta pump, lock it, pump air and the tire inflates properly...but then when i unlock the pump air already begins coming out, then when i remove the pump it almost completely deflates in a second or two, definitely not enough time to screw that little nut/valve back on.

The thing that is doing my head in is that I definitely did this a few months back and it worked fine...Now I just cannot for the life of me reinflate them without losing crazy amounts of air.

Seriously, what am I doing wrong here guys?

I unscrew the cap, then loosen the little nut/valve, press down to let the rest of the air out. then put on the presta pump, lock it, pump air and the tire inflates properly...but then when i unlock the pump air already begins coming out, then when i remove the pump it almost completely deflates in a second or two, definitely not enough time to screw that little nut/valve back on.

The thing that is doing my head in is that I definitely did this a few months back and it worked fine...Now I just cannot for the life of me reinflate them without losing crazy amounts of air.

I have never had that issue with my presta valves. Maybe the actual valve is damaged?

Moved to DMV area two years ago and the biking infrastructure is amazing; Mt. Vernon, Custis, W&OD, and Rock Creek are dope. Got myself a road bike and got back in shape. Moving to nyc at the end of the week and will miss DC for sure. Hope to move back one day. Farewell...for now.

IMG_3581.jpg
IMG_5729.jpg
I ride from Manhattan to Brooklyn often with several route options for bike lanes the whole way. Whenever my fam who moved away comeback to visit they ALL complain about all the excessive bike lanes:lol:

Yea the valve may be bent to where it is in the air release state of the valve.

Couple tips that always work for me:

- I like to make sure the wheel is turned so that the valve is at the bottom (6 oclock) position. Prevents bending the valve because of awkward insertion position.

- You dont have to press down so far/hard on the valve when putting the pump on. I have seen valves stuck in open or bent because of this.

I have never had that issue with my presta valves. Maybe the actual valve is damaged?
May need to replace the tube. Swap it out with a new one and see if you still have the same issue.

- I like to make sure the wheel is turned so that the valve is at the bottom (6 oclock) position. Prevents bending the valve because of awkward insertion position.

- You dont have to press down so far/hard on the valve when putting the pump on. I have seen valves stuck in open or bent because of this.

Any idea what could have caused that damage? My bike has been in storage for a few months, so it wasn't ridden or anything.

I bent the rear tires valve last night a little bit, but the front tire is doing it as well and that one is fine.

Any idea what could have caused that damage? My bike has been in storage for a few months, so it wasn't ridden or anything.

I bent the rear tires valve last night a little bit, but the front tire is doing it as well and that one is fine.
1. I think air will always release a bit when you are removing the pump head. There is pressure build up, so it will release a bit.

2. I think the valve may be worn if it isnt reverting back to close? Would say just replace the tube if its not properly working.

Okay so I just tried it again using your suggestion of not pressing it down too far, worked! God what a relief, I've been raging since yesterday about it lmao thanks guys.

Okay so I just tried it again using your suggestion of not pressing it down too far, worked! God what a relief, I've been raging since yesterday about it lmao thanks guys.
Glad it helped! Prestas have less feel that schraders when youre putting the pump head on, so it feels like it isnt ever on right. Schraders have a larger diameter and less variation on the valve length so you usually can just smash it on there without issues.

Prestas are way skinnier and usually no feel when putting the pump head on.

I ride from Manhattan to Brooklyn often with several route options for bike lanes the whole way. Whenever my fam who moved away comeback to visit they ALL complain about all the excessive bike lanes:lol:

:rofl: I don't blame them. Sometimes it feels like the nyc bike lanes increase danger due to cars parking in them or turning at a corner intersecting the bike lane, and ppl walking or jogging in them, etc. I haven't biked in city since 2014. I'm sure lots has changed, but I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself. J ust gotta stay alive on them crazy roads lol

:rofl: I don't blame them. Sometimes it feels like the nyc bike lanes increase danger due to cars parking in them or turning at a corner intersecting the bike lane, and ppl walking or jogging in them, etc. I haven't biked in city since 2014. I'm sure lots has changed, but I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself. J ust gotta stay alive on them crazy roads lol

Took a couple months off to recover from a bad crash. Rode around and was gassed out but powered thru the planned route. Luckily we rode as a group so that def helped

How many pulls did you do up front? 🤔

Passed a few cops on e-bikes then got worried they'd arrest me for speeding so I slowed down lol...

Anybody know how fast they can go? Figure I can outpace them on a short stretch if they peak at 20 mph but I wonder if cops don't have that limitation.

Looking to get the Canyon Endurace once my size is back in stock. What are people's thoughts on Di2? Is it worth it? What are the pros?

It's an extra $1k on the Canyon.

Back
Top Bottom