The Bicycle Thread

I have a Garmin Edge 830 and love it. I think Garmin or Wahoo works. I have a couple friends with Wahoo and they love theirs as well.

4A1CB5D7-F175-46D7-8BA4-CE3AD7B25F1C.jpeg
98168BFA-BC3A-449A-8C0C-A78DD24B5A1A.jpeg

So since I got hassled for my non-drive side pic, here’s one from my ride today. Training for a big mountain climb next weekend.

4F556C4C-A107-47C7-A32F-194A23D9D755.jpeg

Also I ordered these socks because I always love Supreme/Nike collabs. Turns out they are excellent cycling socks. Better than any of my previous ones.

Also to add to the computer questions, definitely invest. I went half of last year without one and half with. What a difference. It’s great for the turn by turn but also having it show you hill grade in real time, your cadence and speed if you get the sensors for it and power if you decide to invest in a power meter will help you in so many ways throughout a long ride. And then using Ride with GPS to pre plan rides and plug them in is awesome. All around worth the investment if you’re riding all the time. I have a Garmin 830 btw.
54798977-F851-4005-AAE1-71B79AE7D0FA.jpeg

91E961C1-0865-4702-821C-D084D76A9264.jpeg

Copped a new Canyon since it finally restocked in my size. QQ, anyone know if there is a real difference between the Shimano XT PD-M8100 and PD-M520 pedals?

Copped a new Canyon since it finally restocked in my size. QQ, anyone know if there is a real difference between the Shimano XT PD-M8100 and PD-M520 pedals?

Usually the biggest difference in pedals as they go up in price is lighter weight and better bearings. So that’s up to you if that matters to you. But truthfully you’re not gonna tell much difference.
And congrats on the purchase. That’s awesome. Can’t wait to see the pics.

I've used the cheapest SPDs for nearly 30 years now - and they've always been fine. Recently though I got a good deal on some 530s - and they're much nicer to use. They just feel more positive and better under my feet.

Clearly there's always a limit to that - the middle othe range ones seem worth a small payment over the cheapest ones, but I don't think I would say the same when you get up to the top level ones.

Any tips on changing the tape on handle bars? Is it easy to do?
Yea easy just take your time. Snug it tight on each Revolution.

I like to roll the way I like togrip the bars as well. When cutting the end use the two dot method. Draw a cut dot then roll one more time and draw a cut dot at the same spot. Unroll and cut dot to dot to get a nice finish at the end.

My best tip for bar tape is to start by putting a couple of inches of tape into the bar, pull it snug and wrap about 6" - then put the plug in and get it secure (and I like those plugs that you screw in to get nice and snug), then unwrap back to the plug and do it again. That way you get a really neat end - without that when you put the plug in it makes it looser.

Then at the other end cut the tape so it's straight then use good quality electrical tape to tape it down to itself - not to the bars, just the tape. A couple of turns is enough. I like the 3M electrical tape - nice stretch to it and the adhesive is better.

^yea that dot to do tip should get you a nice straight finish and you tape the tape over itself and not the bar. Results in a clean finish.

Good tips on the plug and re-wrap. I also use that method.

Here's a vid on the dot to dot method. Couldn't find one, but somehow ran into the supacaz video and they do it on there. I get disoriented easily when moving from one side of the bar to the other and would always mess up my cuts. With the dots it more assuring.

Back
Top Bottom