The biggest choke job in sports history...

Originally Posted by zwchris

2004 Yankees still hold that title.

You need to realize this. The Bruins were up 3 goals to NONE on HOME ice in game 7 and lost on a power play that resulted from a too many men on the ice penalty. They had 6 players on the ice
laugh.gif
Definition of CHOKE.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Whenever I talk about sports chokes, this will be included in the discssion.

A 3-0 series lead culminates into a Game 7 in which the team that had the 3-0 series lead now sits on top of a 3-0 score in the first period... and they lose the game/series.

No, I didn't watch a minute of it, so I have to say the biggest choke I ever saw was, indeed, the 2004 ALCS.

this

I think some people are defining biggest choke to mean most significant, while others are defining it as most improbable. The Yankees one may have been the most significant of all time given the rivalry between the teams and the "curse" that was broken, but coming back from 3-0 in game 7 after being down 3 games to 0 at one point was more improbable. It'd be like if the Red Sox recovered from a 7-0 lead to beat the Yankees in game 7.

if i can include non-series chokes

as much as i have watched the patriots...
to mess up an undefeated season is a huge choke
huge

tyson getting beat up by buster was pretty bonkers too

Originally Posted by Notorious 858

Blazers 2000 Game 7 Western Conference Finals CHOKE job. Up 15 points with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter:
What? No, dude. Beating a 15 point deficit in seven minutes is unusual but not "biggest of all time" material unless I'm missing something.

Plus Limp Bizkit in that video
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

the 2007 Dallas Mavericks won 67 games and got the #1 seed, only to lose to the 40 win #8 seed Warriors. MVP Dirk Nowitzki, scored 8pts on 18%FG shooting in the elimination game 6

You can say it was a choke all you want, but the fact of the matter is the Warriors OWNED the Mavericks that season, and the couple seasons around that year.  It really didnt surprise many people to see it happen.

It isn't the biggest choke, because the Celtics just kicked the Cavs out. There's at least something to look up about. There was nothing when the Yankees dropped. We had Isaiah.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

The Yankees one may have been the most significant of all time given the rivalry between the teams and the "curse" that was broken,

a6716e382d759aee9e86a72ed1d47c2e7c648f65.jpg

Originally Posted by dland24

the 2007 Dallas Mavericks won 67 games and got the #1 seed, only to lose to the 40 win #8 seed Warriors. MVP Dirk Nowitzki, scored 8pts on 18%FG shooting in the elimination game 6

You can say it was a choke all you want, but the fact of the matter is the Warriors OWNED the Mavericks that season, and the couple seasons around that year.  It really didnt surprise many people to see it happen.
67 win team, with the MVP of the league on it, should beat a 40 win team though, bottom line. Look through the annals of time, and it won't show that Golden State made a midseason trade to bring in Sjax and Bdiddy, or that the Mavs always struggled with them, but when you are looking for #1 seeds who lost to #8 seeds, you will have the time Denver beat Seattle (with Mutombo's mug under the basket cheesing holding the ball) which will have an asterisk next to it because it was still 5 games then, and then it will say Dallas Mavericks.

End of the day, they need to win something and stop always having excuses. Highest payroll in the league annually, tons of midseason moves bringing in all star after all star, multiple coaching changes, guaranteed 50+ wins every regular season, yet they just blow it up and rebuild around Dirk every yr and still have nothing to show for it.

My Top 5

The Yanks ALCS
frown.gif

The Bruins last night
The Oilers vs. Bills Frank Reich anyone can't blow a 30+ point lead in the playoffs to a back up QB
John Van de Velde ... epic (that pic above w/ him in the water ... enuf said)
Sonics vs. Nuggets ... up 2-0 to lose the last 3 games vs. an 8 seed after having the best record in the NBA ...

Originally Posted by dland24

67 win team, with the MVP of the league on it, should beat a 40 win team though, bottom line. Look through the annals of time, and it won't show that Golden State made a midseason trade to bring in Sjax and Bdiddy, or that the Mavs always struggled with them, but when you are looking for #1 seeds who lost to #8 seeds, you will have the time Denver beat Seattle (with Mutombo's mug under the basket cheesing holding the ball) which will have an asterisk next to it because it was still 5 games then, and then it will say Dallas Mavericks.

End of the day, they need to win something and stop always having excuses. Highest payroll in the league annually, tons of midseason moves bringing in all star after all star, multiple coaching changes, guaranteed 50+ wins every regular season, yet they just blow it up and rebuild around Dirk every yr and still have nothing to show for it.

Knicks vs Heat??? If memory serves me correct, the Knicks were the first 8th seed to make it to the finals in any sport.

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I'm not agreeing just because I'm from Philly but you have to understand how can you have a 3-0 lead and lose that.  Also be up 3-0 in the deciding game and lose 4-3?  Ultimate choke job

the worse choke was in the 2009 Canadian Football League Grey Cup. Saskatchewan was up 27-25 and Montreal needed to kick the FG to win the game. Montreal missed with no time left on the clock, but Saskatchewan was penalized for too many men on the field. Montreal was allowed a re-kick. The kick was good and Montreal won 28-27. OH yeah, Saskatchewan had been up 27-11 halfway through the 4th quarter too. How's that for a choke?

For me, #1 is mos def. Yankees losing to Boston in the WS - followed by Patriots losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Originally Posted by bjm5295

Epic fail, yes, but the 2004 Yanks win.

I know i'm making excuses here, but we had to deal with the loss of Krejci and Sturm while they got back Gagne. Were we still good enough to win one game? Absolutely. So thats what makes it a choke to me. But they just were not the same team after Krejci left game 4.

flyers were on their third string goalie.I still think the yanks losing in the alcs was a bigger choke just because the fact that they had owned the sox for so long, but this series is up there. There wasn't history in this series like there was in the '04 alcs....plus that was to get to the WS... This is to get to the eastern conference finalsMan, was a series.... Day after and I'm still ecstatic about it

Originally Posted by Bleezys and Heem

For me, #1 is mos def. Yankees losing to Boston in the WS - followed by Patriots losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

smh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif

Losing to them in the World Series??? Fam, they are both from the American League. That was a huge choke in terms of sports knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom