The Blake Griffin discussion: is he unlikeable? Or do players just envy him?

Players are getting into it with Blake Griffin almost every game. Are players jawing with him because he's trying to embarrass them on Sportscenter, or do they genuinely not like him?

Note that players don't jaw with him just when he's going up for a dunk and/or staring someone down. They get in his face a lot, when he's nowhere near the basket.

Is it a spillover from all the times that he's tried to dunk on them (which is perfectly fine)? Or is it because of his tough guy act, unnecessary pushes and shoves, and they don't like him? The evidence kind of speaks for itself: players go after him all the time, and not just the ones he's about to dunk on. Players look generally pissed with his attitude and antics - NOT including the attempts to dunk on them.

I'm talking about these incidents like the video above. It's not just someone mad he got dunked on... its someone fed up with Blake Griffin as a person.

Thoughts?

kendrickperkinsscowl_display_image.jpg

Why should players allow him to posteritze them? Keep coming in the paint trying to make people look foolish and you are gonna get hurt. That's just basketball IMO

Now what makes hints much worse is his special treatment. He is aloud to stare down after the dunk while many layers get techs for that. He's allowed to SMH you in the face with his off hand as he yams it down. A third of his highlight dunks are blatant offensive fouls.

They rigged the dunk contest for him too

hes an overprotected complainer that gets away with everything. why would any player like him?

I, on the other hand, am a huge fan.

Dude whines, flops, not getting called for offensive fouls.

Nvm, that's the entire Clippers team :/

I think its a combination of both, players don't want to get dunked on so they'll do anything to stop him from dunking on them. But he has also become a whiner and to some extent a flopper so that doesn't do him any favours with other players as well

Blake Griffin doesn't do any more posturing than any other NBA star. Players hate him because he is aggressive and because he dunks on people. Can't beat him physically so they try to rattle him mentally by taking cheap shots. Look at a guy like Joachim Noah. Dude is clearly annoying as hell as a person. He's also annoyingly aggressive and he postures. Hell I'd fade him just for that stupid tornado shot form bs. But no one is trying to take him out. Why? B/C he's not a star and he's not viciously dunking on everyone. The league should probably do something about it before Blake takes one cheap hit too many.

If he's willing to dunk and bring hard contact to defenders, then he should expect hard fouls and some frustration from opponents. Does he deserve cheap shots? No, of course not. But if he's willing to come barreling through the lane and aggressively go to the basket, then defenders are allowed to be physical with him too.

I don't blame Blake for some of his antics and complaining to the refs, he gets hit a lot but he's also very physical. Plus, I think he gets away with a lot that other young players don't get away with. Constantly crying to the refs, staredowns after every play, getting away with fouls, etc., are all going to get players and fans annoyed. But, I credit his popularity and status in the league as the reasons for that, so he's going to get the same superstar treatment others do.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Why should players allow him to posteritze them? Keep coming in the paint trying to make people look foolish and you are gonna get hurt. That's just basketball IMO

Now what makes hints much worse is his special treatment. He is aloud to stare down after the dunk while many layers get techs for that. He's allowed to SMH you in the face with his off hand as he yams it down. A third of his highlight dunks are blatant offensive fouls.

all this

I'm from LA and I've been rooting for this dude but I'm starting to hate him, I think he's a dbag. He's like that dude at the gym that goes super hard, gets mad when you call a foul on him but then just bowls his way down the lane and calls foul everytime.
For a player who relies on brute strength as much as he does, he shouldnt be surprised when ppl get physical with him. 
With all of that said, once he gets a consistent jumper it's lights out.

Originally Posted by ColdCity

all this
I understand people shouldn't allow him to posterize them. Hard fouls are fine as long as they're not excessive (and I mean excessive, not the ref's definition of excessive).

I'm focusing more on how people get in arguments and shouting matches with him even when he's not going for a dunk.

A few weeks ago Bynum got in his face when he pushed Pau in the back on the break. It was a pretty bad play, but didn't result in much and most players would let that go... but because it's Blake, because he's pushing a little too much and whining a little too much, someone has to get in his face. And this happens almost every game now.

Like he got tangled with Dudley and Dudley was just fed up with it all... Blake wasn't anywhere near the basket so it has nothing to do with getting dunked on... players just don't seem to like him on the court and it goes beyond "he's trying to put me on Sportscenter"

laugh.gif
Dudes don't want to get on that poster so they resort to hard fouls.

I like Blake, he just needs to stop the flopping and tough guy act.

If he weren't so soft, if he didn't flop around so much, and if he showed some effort on defense and anything other than going ham in the paint, maybe I'd like him.

I hate his stare down after he dunks. He also just lays the ball on the ground vs passing it to the ref.

Aren't those usually techs?

His appearances on the top 10 are getting to his head IMO.

So wait, you kids have a problem with him staring people down?

Did you not ever play pickup ball growing up?

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

So wait, you kids have a problem with him staring people down?

Did you not ever play pickup ball growing up?

he ODs on it

cant be staring people down as youre losing the game

He goes up strong with the intentions of throwing it down & embarrassing you, so players will take exception & go up strong trying to stop him. In a lot of cases, they're gonna have to foul hard in order to stop him from posterizing them.

Plus he's a star player who's been making noise for awhile, he's gonna warrant some hate.

Blake really don't be staring people down nearly as much as yall act. His teammates are the ones who OD whenever he dunks.

I think players just hate getting upstaged and are jealous/salty about the attention he gets for his dunks yet no one slanders him for the rest of his skillset, which is lacking big time but he is still pretty young

Me personally, I like him. He's entertaining and he does do more than just dunk even though his game isn't very polished

Back
Top Bottom