The Cheesecake Factory & TGI Friday's was the downfall of Vince Young vol. 35+ mil down the drain

How can you not just have $1 mill stashed away collecting amazing interest, one other mil as a backup fund for what would be 10 years of living at $100,000/ year and just enjoy the rest?

Frankly, the NFL is giving away millions to young men who more than likely come from very poor homes. These guys don't know how to manage money because they've never been taught to.

That said, it's not the NFL's fault or anybody else's fault if athletes blow their cash. Unless you were a victim of fraud and there was criminal intent, the athletes gotta be held accountable.

I'm sorry, but you don't HAVE to use your money toward risky investments, with the amount of money these guys are making, putting it in the bank and having it collect interest is an incredibly safe way to live, but I suppose asking a lot of these guys to live safe is asking too much. I don't personally get enjoyment from these stories, but I mean, let's not act like these people are living some sort of horror story. Not to mention, all of the things that go toward helping these guys avoid these situations at this point in the game makes it even harder for stuff like this to happen. Warren Sapp was on Stern a few weeks ago talking about the things they have in place now where you can give the name of potential business partners and the league will do checks on them to make sure that they are on the up and up.

I understand and I sympathize with these dudes simply because I don't enjoy people having a bad spell in their life, but at the same time, that doesn't make them exempt from being teased when you hear ridiculous **** like this coming out.

I'd like to know if there was anyone around Vince at the time who tried to help/talk to him about this reckless spending or was he just surrounded by people taking advantage of him and his money.
"Call me if this is not 100 percent clear," Young's accountant wrote him in August 2011 in an email explaining the arrangement. "We want to make certain you know exactly what is going on at all times, especially when you're signing your name to something."

Link: http://www.chron.com/sports/article/QB-Vince-Young-out-of-the-game-and-out-of-money-3874936.php

Last edited:
Frankly, the NFL is giving away millions to young men who more than likely come from very poor homes. These guys don't know how to manage money because they've never been taught to.

That said, it's not the NFL's fault or anybody else's fault if athletes blow their cash. Unless you were a victim of fraud and there was criminal intent, the athletes gotta be held accountable.

The thing is the NFL offers the rookie synopsis and I've heard they offered classes / lectures / help on stuff like this

I hear you and I hope things go better for you as well.
In regards to VY, I find SOME of the circumstances of why he went broke funny. The exorbitant spending at TGI Friday's, the southwest flight, etc etc....that's comical and flat out dumb. Where is the common-sense?

Oh definitely. I read some of the stuff he was blowing his money and all I could was :smh:. He got a poorer version of a private jet and racked up bills of 5k+ at less than fine dining joints. I would have thought that he made multiple bad investments, but he simply blew his money on bull ****.

that doesn't make them exempt from being teased when you hear ridiculous **** like this coming out.

It doesn't, but I don't get anything out of it.

How can you not just have $1 mill stashed away collecting amazing interest, one other mil as a backup fund for what would be 10 years of living at $100,000/ year and just enjoy the rest?

You're expecting too much out of people, some of whom that didn't even have a bank account to their name in college or one in their family in general. That under the mattress money is real for some people.

Last edited:
I've said it before but unfortunately, too many athletes and entertainers are short-sighted and spend money like they're guaranteed to make $10m/year for the rest of their lives and that just doesn't happen. Add in the fact that so many spend it exorbitantly on items (food and drinks alone) that once they're purchased, that money is gone.

You guys are right, I'll confess

Let's actually feel bad for a man who made tens of millions of dollars and lost it in the manner he did.

My thoughts and prayers are with Vince Young and his family,
That won't do anything.
 I'll donate to his children's college fund (which he probably flushed down the toilet buying his 120 friends unlimited amounts of Melon Balls and Bloomin-Onions)
That will do something. 

Learn the difference kids. 
laugh.gif

Damn, My dude Vince. |I :smh:

Can't feel sorry for him though and the stories are lulz. :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and :smh: @ people using dude.

Last edited:
It's truly sad that Vince is nearly broke or completely broke, but he had to have other vices, fast cars, fast women, jewelry or something. 12k on a flight for you and your boys and 6k a week at Cheesecakes isn't enough to blow 35 mill in 6 years. Yes, those things are unnecessary, but are not nearly enough to break the bank when you're making this much. I can see him getting ripped off by agents and managers and brand new friends. I can't speak on what others should do with theirs, but I can when (if) I'm in that position, this won't be a problem. Hope **** turns around for him. If I could, I'd give him a share of the couple hundred he won me in that title game.

lmao @ these calls... "Lendale showed up to happy hours with his own bottles and ordered wings"

On the reak ish tho

If Vince Young is going to go out spending ridiculous amounts of money why the hell was he going to the cheesecake factory and TGI's? Could have gone to some real fine dining with the amount of money he spent in there.

What a Texan:rofl:

I can't make fun of someone that has money troubles. That's just me. With as fragile as he is mentally, those people he was splurging on should be checking in on him to make sure he doesn't do something stupid.
Not the first and won't be the last
mean.gif
Yup and its a damn shame. People who have a lifetimes worth of money and somehow find a way to blow it. Its not even like he was starting or had expecttations too, did he not think the well would run dry eventually?

The thing is the NFL offers the rookie synopsis and I've heard they offered classes / lectures / help on stuff like this
This is in fact true. No one listens though

Last edited:
Financially? Sure, it was the partying and eating out at restaurants. Football career? Lands solely on Jeff Fisher's lack of belief and public smear campaign against VY's reputation and namesake.

Could totally picture LenDale committing some of those outrageous acts.

There was an SI article a while back discussing how these guys go broke and 1 of the players said that although they offer the classes & stuff, the classes are too complex for some of them.

Back
Top Bottom