The College Basketball Post

http://zagsblog.com/articles/sources-steve-lavins-future-at-st-johns-in-doubt/

sounds like my guys were onto something :pimp:

NEW YORK — Steve Lavin’s future at St. John’s is in doubt and the school’s administration is engaging in various discussions this week that could determine his future, multiple sources told SNY.tv.

“They’re meeting either this weekend or Monday to discuss the fate of Lavin,” one source said.

Asked what it meant for Lavin’s future at the school, the source said, “Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.”

A second source said various administrators had already had one meeting about Lavin’s future this past weekend and were planning a conference call soon to discuss the next steps.

“I’d be shocked if he ever survived this,” the second source said.

“I’ll tell you what, it will be an interesting week,” a third source said.

St. John’s lost Friday night to San Diego State in Charlotte in the Round of 64 of the NCAA Tournament, and the following morning Lavin told reporters he expected to receive an extension on his original six-year contract before entering his final season next year.

“Yeah, sure,” Lavin said.

Asked if he needed an extension to be effective, he said, “Oh yeah, of course.”

The first source also said there was a “little bit of a power struggle” going on between at least one of the program’s financial backers and some members of the administration about what direction St. John’s should take moving forward.

The source indicated that at least one of the financial backers would like a “young, hungry” coach to replace Lavin, whereas some in the administration may want a more established name, perhaps even a former St. John’s legend.

“Certain people want to go in different directions,” the source said.

Lavin, 50, is 226-133 for his career at UCLA and St. John’s, including an 81-55 mark with the Red Storm. He has guided them to two NCAA Tournaments and two NITs.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/sources-steve-lavins-future-at-st-johns-in-doubt/

sounds like my guys were onto something :pimp:

NEW YORK — Steve Lavin’s future at St. John’s is in doubt and the school’s administration is engaging in various discussions this week that could determine his future, multiple sources told SNY.tv.

“They’re meeting either this weekend or Monday to discuss the fate of Lavin,” one source said.

Asked what it meant for Lavin’s future at the school, the source said, “Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.”

A second source said various administrators had already had one meeting about Lavin’s future this past weekend and were planning a conference call soon to discuss the next steps.

“I’d be shocked if he ever survived this,” the second source said.

“I’ll tell you what, it will be an interesting week,” a third source said.

St. John’s lost Friday night to San Diego State in Charlotte in the Round of 64 of the NCAA Tournament, and the following morning Lavin told reporters he expected to receive an extension on his original six-year contract before entering his final season next year.

“Yeah, sure,” Lavin said.

Asked if he needed an extension to be effective, he said, “Oh yeah, of course.”

The first source also said there was a “little bit of a power struggle” going on between at least one of the program’s financial backers and some members of the administration about what direction St. John’s should take moving forward.

The source indicated that at least one of the financial backers would like a “young, hungry” coach to replace Lavin, whereas some in the administration may want a more established name, perhaps even a former St. John’s legend.

“Certain people want to go in different directions,” the source said.

Lavin, 50, is 226-133 for his career at UCLA and St. John’s, including an 81-55 mark with the Red Storm. He has guided them to two NCAA Tournaments and two NITs.
Aka Lavins gone, vitamin water dude wants one of the Hurleys and the old admin heads want Mullin or Jackson. Win win regardless for St Johns fans since Lavins gone

Herb Sendek gone for sure.

Short list for ASU:

Josh Pastner

Archie Miller

Brad Underwood

Russell Turner

Jerod Haase?

Pastner and Turner most likely. Miller and Underwood not very likely.

Congrats to the WVU fans in here. Press completely screwed us up. Melo did pretty well with it, all things considered, but Dez and Layman had no idea what they were doing. Was tough to see Melo go out, but the trainers absolutely did the right thing. I thought he caught a concussion off of that moving screen, which of course wasn't called. Definitely couldn't send him back out there after the Randy Orton punt. Dez performance was the most alarming to me. Just didn't seem like himself whatsoever. 9 points, 8 turnovers and fouled out. Tough way for him to go out as his last game....Huggins daughters and some WVU fans that were at the game are some scum though. Apparently there were several racial slurs being spewed towards Dez and Nickens on top of the rape stuff. Definitely not indicative of all WVU fans though. Most that I know are good people and I hope WVU beats UK...

Regarding next year, MD should be ranked #1 or 2 in the Big Ten preseason poll. The team will be much more balanced next year with Robert Carter Jr and possibly Diamond Stone down low as well as the JuCo transfer point guard. This year they played with absolutely no post presence and only one elite ball handler. Melo-Nickens-Layman-Carter Jr-Dodd(Stone maybe) is a really strong starting lineup.
I think the terps taking a step back next year unless Layman finally plays consistently n one of the young wings (nickens or Wiley) take a big step up ...carter jr. And another ball handler r good additions tho

Wonder if howland would have taken the ASU job had he waited..Tempe compared to starksville...ehhhh lol

But then again MSU is a Adidas school, if that matters.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 1m
Charlotte has offered job to ex-NBA standout Mark Price, source told ESPN. Price currently an assistant in NBA with Hornets. Story coming.

Doubt Arizona State had much interest in Howland if they didn't fire their coach until today. There were Howland-to-Mississippi-State rumors floated and stories gauging Howland's interest in the job for a couple days before he actually took the job. If they had had interest in him they would've been more proactive and not waited until today.

CA4clvyWcAI8Idj.jpg

How to beat Kentucky?

UK’s 7 wins by single digits: opponents avg 31.1 pts in paint

UK’s 29 other wins: opponents avg 21.7 pts in paint

(espnstats)

I think the terps taking a step back next year unless Layman finally plays consistently n one of the young wings (nickens or Wiley) take a big step up ...carter jr. And another ball handler r good additions tho
Don't see it. Layman will get to play almost strictly as a 3 instead of the 4 like he did this year. When Dez was out earlier in the year, Layman's numbers work fantastic. It never seemed like he got comfortable once Dez came back. I think Nickens already is pretty good and will be even better next year as a starter. Wiley has a solid jumper and good athleticism. Both need to work at ball handling and defense. Not sure if you've gotten to see much of Carter Jr before, but he is a beast. My buddy works for the team, and has said all season long that Carter Jr was the best player on the entire team. The ability to have a balanced offense next year and to be able to throw it in the post to get a bucket is going to be huge. Will also lead to more open shots for Nickens/Wiley/Layman/Trimble.

Other than the WVU game, Dez has always been a big player in big games. I think an even better Melo, better Layman and a beast down low in the post will actually more than make up for Dez.

Maryland's Melo Trimble coming back. Smart move may have been a late first round pick this year.
Nah. Early-mid 2nd most likely.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh

What are you thinking about the Zags chances right now?

If they play like they did at Iowa, don't you think they could give even Kentucky a game? They have just about it all. And their size is versatile. Players for everything.

I don't know. I follow sparingly, but I haven't seen a complete Zags team like this ever. It doesn't necessarily mean this team is Final Four worthy, but I'm certainly drinking the kool-aid.

Last edited:
I think the Zags can most certainly win it all this year. Kentucky is great, but they are still beatable, and may not even be the representative of the other side of the bracket in the national championship. I can see the Zags taking care of the teams on their side, Duke included. Team is very complete and fun to watch....

Back
Top Bottom