The Combat Jack Show Thread

I think some of y'all confusing if someone is popular enough with does that mean they're funny and thus funnier than someone else.

No doubt both Kevin and Martin are stars. Kevin is clearly the bogger star.

That does not mean Kevin Hart is funny let alone funnier than Martin.

In a conversation about if someone is a star of course if a random white person knows that person them will factor in. Same if you're known by a random eskimo or Amish person.

Saying Martin was never a star doesn't make sense though.

Martin was a star but from my perspective of someone who retroactively learned about his 90’s run when i started seeing the reruns of his show vs. how I perceived him as a kid I think he had a weird trajectory of only doing certain types of Walmart bin movies like Big Momma, the Raven college joint, Rebound after the early/mid 2000’s vs Will Smith having big movies like Hancock/Pursuit of Happyness/etc up until the Focus/After Earth era or Denzel having big budget “big deal” movies this whole time. Martin was doing comedy silly movies that ended up in Walmart bins instead of dramatic/action type roles like Denzel and Will after a while although he’s of course a legend regardless but that’s why people even having this convo.

Martin was a star but from my perspective of someone who retroactively learned about his 90’s run when i started seeing the reruns of his show vs. how I perceived him as a kid I think he had a weird trajectory of only doing certain types of Walmart bin movies like Big Momma, the Raven college joint, Rebound after the early/mid 2000’s vs Will Smith having big movies like Hancock/Pursuit of Happyness/etc up until the Focus/After Earth era or Denzel having big budget “big deal” movies this whole time. Martin was doing comedy silly movies that ended up in Walmart bins instead of dramatic/action type roles like Denzel and Will after a while although he’s of course a legend regardless but that’s why people even having this convo.

Martin was always a comedian first and foremost. He was never going to do Dramatic rolls like Will or Denzel

Martin was in Bad Boys in 95. Martin was signed on to that movie before Will. Def comedy Jam, that made a lot of stars. Martin was the biggest name. As somebody that was in elementary school and middle and high school when Runtelldat and Bad Boys 2 dropped Martin was a superstar. Especially amongst black folks. He had by far the most quoted TV show.

Martin was in Bad Boys in 95. Martin was signed on to that movie before Will. Def comedy Jam, that made a lot of stars. Martin was the biggest name. As somebody that was in elementary school and middle and high school when Runtelldat and Bad Boys 2 dropped Martin was a superstar. Especially amongst black folks. He had by far the most quoted TV show.

Facts but I’m talking a decade later when Denzel and Will were still going he was kinda only doing goofy movies

That is why he isn’t seen as that same level of Star

This Walmart bin movie series grossed $400 Million dollars :lol:

Really amazing how age impacts perspective. Outside of Pursuit of Happyness and Hancock, you literally just referenced some of Will Smith's BIGGEST flops. NOBODY born before 2000 would think of movies like After Earth or Focus as Will Smith's big movies. That's when **** got dark for Will Smith :lol::smh:

I caught some Denzel's best joints in those Walmart 5 dollar bins. Honestly that might be a sign of a true hit. Hella movies used to disappear before streaming. Walmart is only carrying hits several years after release. I'd challenge anyone to go to Walmart is way more likely to be carrying one of the Big Mama's house joints Vs say something obscure like Belly 2. Hell I'd go as far as to bet Walmart is more likely to carry one of those older Martin Hits over Space Jam.

This Walmart bin movie series grossed $400 Million dollars :lol:

Really amazing how age impacts perspective. Outside of Pursuit of Happyness and Hancock, you literally just referenced some of Will Smith's BIGGEST flops. NOBODY born before 2000 would think of movies like After Earth or Focus as Will Smith's big movies. That's when **** got dark for Will Smith :lol::smh:

youre saying what I’m saying. By Focus and After Earth he was out of that phase and Pursuit of Happyness I Robot and Hancock and that era were his prime. Maybe I worded it poorly but I’m saying he was going strong from Bad Boys *up until* the early 2010’s with Focus and After Earth being about where you could argue Will stops being that type of actor while Martin was doing almost exclusively Walmart bin type joints after the first Big Momma or the mid 2000’s although yea Wild Hogs is successful.

3 Hookah tips at once is big wilding

I like to smoke Hookah but its mad big pause moments and body feeling horrible after every time i do it

youre saying what I’m saying. By Focus and After Earth he was out of that phase and Pursuit of Happyness I Robot and Hancock and that era were his prime. Maybe I worded it poorly but I’m saying he was going strong from Bad Boys *up until* the early 2010’s with Focus and After Earth being about where you could argue Will stops being that type of actor while Martin was doing almost exclusively Walmart bin type joints after the first Big Momma or the mid 2000’s although yea Wild Hogs is successful.

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 9.06.53 PM.png

Over $1 billion worldwide as a leading actor seems pretty damn good for a Walmart movie bin actor :lol::smh:

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 9.06.53 PM.png

Over $1 billion worldwide as a leading actor seems pretty damn good for a Walmart movie bin actor :lol::smh:

Martin for sure ain’t no “Walmart bin actor” I’m just saying those the type of movies he was doing after the mid 2000’s and why someone would even question his “star” status overall relative to who he was in the 90’s

and how many of you even listened to the Joe Budden podcast where they were talking about stars? A star in the black community doesn't necessarily make you a star overall. That's why I used the George Lopez example. Dude has had movies, TV shows, and I haven't seen any of it. I just know of his existence. To be a star across the board you need to be bigger than that, which is what Ice was saying with Jonathan Majors. Most people didn't know his name. Asian, white, and latinos, most probably haven't seen all the Martin stuff we have. So Martin is a star to me, because I grew up on Def Comedy Jam and Martin, but I could easily see how someone would say he's not a star.

The type of **** I'm talking about Ish doesn't do anything, even weed, but hookah, I don't believe it's as bad for you as they say, because they can't monetize it :stoneface:

Doofus, you aren't doing it for free, you're buying it. :smh:

Why wouldn't smoking straight no filter, be bad for you? It's not pure.

and how many of you even listened to the Joe Budden podcast where they were talking about stars? A star in the black community doesn't necessarily make you a star overall. That's why I used the George Lopez example. Dude has had movies, TV shows, and I haven't seen any of it. I just know of his existence. To be a star across the board you need to be bigger than that, which is what Ice was saying with Jonathan Majors. Most people didn't know his name. Asian, white, and latinos, most probably haven't seen all the Martin stuff we have. So Martin is a star to me, because I grew up on Def Comedy Jam and Martin, but I could easily see how someone would say he's not a star.

but…george lopez IS a star tho…the metric of stardom isn’t necessarily ubiquitous knowledge of their resume. granted there is a difference between being a recognized/recognizable known person but one of the qualifiers definitely is being aware of person despite not have seen much of if any at all of their work 😂

especially these day wherein attention/media is so fractured such that a person could have millions of followers but be literally unknown outside of their sphere of influence/relevance, a dude like george lopez is definitely a star…

there are levels of course, but i digress 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom