The Combat Jack Show Thread

It may be selfish but I want the Cole that was killing the features. I don’t like his production, his melodies, or his hooks.
Tbh Cole raps better over other ****** beats and with features. There's almost no denying that.

If he did an album with 21 Savage it'd prolly rank high on best mash ups.

Had the Kendrick X Cole Project ever really happened it'd probably be closest thing we have to WTT for this gen.

what are some of those artists

Bro it was common for underground artist to produce their own work once it moved from studios to Fruity Loops and Pro Tools and gave them access.

and they also had normal jobs. J Live was a ****in English teacher.

Nah there's a Convo to be had for sure. I love Nip the person and VL was super dope but he's been kinda knighted on some pac and Big **** post his passing and I'm honestly not as sure it would've happened the same way had he lived.

I still bump Crenshaw, Slauson boy etc and have since they dropped so Nip really up there for me as a fan but I know that his wide spread appeal was still a ways off until he died.

Victory Lap got the acclaim it deserved in real time, by people in tune. But he was still kinda played to the left. The button was about to be pushed on him tho. All the partnerships/deals his relationships acclaim and social media started lining up.

A lot of it, was Nip just not having MAJOR music/projects out, when is contemporaries we’re running it up in like 2013-2017 until his passing. And that’s when a lot of those other cats had their peaks commercially and critically. And they had the button pushed.

He was always respected, but I don’t think *****s all over never really looked at him like a guy that made music at that level, for everybody to listen to. And I still think a lot of his catalog still not explored by the masses.

He had an interesting career. It was frustrating being a fan from the outside, not knowing why it seemed like he wasn’t dropping music.

I think that's Kendrick more than Cole

Cole is an underground artist who just happen to cross over and become major. I've been listening to Cole type artist for 20+ years.

Bro it was common for underground artist to produce their own work once it moved from studios to Fruity Loops and Pro Tools and gave them access.

Like Soulja Boy :pimp:

They rightfully putting Baby in that class. Because in people’s shallow minded heads…southern “trap” rappers didn’t have substance. Until the legacy hip hop media and newer generation started shifting the dialogue, and people realizing the actual talent. I always said….You cannot mention Drake/Kendrick/Cole….then shoehorn Wale/Sean etc in there. But leave out Future. They do a lot of the same ****. It’s just the perception and deliveries of the artist.

Start of 2010…had the Everyman/alternative rappers looking like they were the ones to take the mantle as far as critical acclaim and success. And All of Kanye’s protégés/Roc nation/etc associated acts.

Travis Scott & Big Sean being the most undeservedly so. Even Drake with Wayne. When you look at it, All of it comes from certain trees. With acts like Future/Baby/Thug, they come from the Gucci Mane chitterlings circuit tree…that didn’t hit mainstream til 2016 (and super blew without the dungeon family, which is his true rap lineage) But is dominating now. Migos too. And cats like Kodak/YB and their children. Plus the drill rappers from the chi.

Drake, helped mainline and get the audience’s ears and perception tuned into this type of rap as credible. Not just datpiff/livemixatapes type music. But commercial, mainstream rap.

I think Wayne had a lot to do with that change too.

Waka was new and on fire the start of 2010 which led to Drill. He fell back but his impact from late 09 to 12 opened a big door. I would give Future and Migos the most credit for trap being as mainstream as it is now. Future was literally a monster from 2014- to whenever. His music was everywhere. He made Drake jump on his sound. Migos literally had every rapper doing their flow. Now you hear trap beats everywhere. Tay Keith got a McDonalds commercial. You hear these cheap generic trap beats on sports shows and other commercials.

Nah there's a Convo to be had for sure. I love Nip the person and VL was super dope but he's been kinda knighted on some pac and Big **** post his passing and I'm honestly not as sure it would've happened the same way had he lived.

I still bump Crenshaw, Slauson boy etc and have since they dropped so Nip really up there for me as a fan but I know that his wide spread appeal was still a ways off until he died.

I was thinking that about watching Flossy Carter. Dude is always playing Nipsey and Blue Laces 2. Before it was Mobb, 50, pretty much QU.

It's a lot of people who love Nipsey, who never listened to him until he died. It's weird. But I think part of it is this generation and social media and people needing to follow the majority and wanting to be included.

Nip wasn't mainstream and he was doing the independent thing before it became cool (in this generation). Building your own brand in 2010-2012 was hard. Social media was at it's rookie stages. Everybody that we talking about was/is signed to a major and co-signed by a superstar. I'm not even gonna touch Pac and Biggie but I think a lot of people eyes got opened when they heard what Nip was doing outside of music. His business work. Employing people in his community. Like all the Nip murals we see that's not just because of music. He wasn't a radio darling. People listened to his interviews and read his story. Who he was, how he carried himself. What he represented. That resonates a lot with people.

i wasnt tryna doubt you i wanted reccomendations for new ****** to listen to :lol:

He insists on trying to be artsy when he’s not that great of an artist. Beats are ok at best, hooks are trash and is just boring at times. He just needs to tap and leave the other **** alone as he peaked with FNL for me.
Replace a few words/titles and this basically what ppl been saying about Wale.

Future came out in 2010….

45C493CA-D6F5-4A16-BC1D-AB535D6CFF41.jpeg
9ADCC115-FD4D-4712-A43E-254B752F059D.jpeg

Like, KRIT used to be in these convos :lol:. MEEK too.

All of them, Got work, Grammies, Best selling tours with Future. Leaving him out of that convo has nothing to do with the time he popped, and more to do with the perception of him as an artist. He’s in that convo. And his longevity and consistency is up there with those guys.
That's LITERALLY 4 or 5 years after Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Sean and Wale all were on the scene with mixtapes. 2005 and 2006.

I mean the download dates are right there for me to see :lol:

2010 is a whole graduation class later.

Nip and Krit are two guys that never really grew on me like that.

🔥

About to make me dig in my digital crates.

Back when it was late night checking rapradar illegally downloading off bodybuildingforums and all other miscellaneous sites

That's LITERALLY 4 or 5 years after Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Sean and Wale all were on the scene with mixtapes. 2005 and 2006.

I mean the download dates are right there for me to see :lol:

2010 is a whole graduation class later.

Nip and Krit are two guys that never really grew on me like that.

You do know, Future was out then too right, as “Meathead” with the dungeon family :lol:. Nobody REALLY knew who Cole/Kendrick/Wale/Drake were on the major scene in 2005/2006. I’m not talking about when these *****s put out their first work. I’m talking about when they broke onto national consciousness. And at the time, XXL and those mags/internet grouped cats together. It’s a 1-2 year period. Turn of the decade.

Drake really broke in early 09. So Far Gone came out then. Same with Sean/Wale/Cole etc. all in 09. Super dropped the next year in 10, then took off in 11. Them *****s are all contemporaries. It’s ok to accept that. Them *****s like a year apart. It’s why they share fan bases etc.

You do know, Future was out then too right, as “Meathead” with the dungeon family :lol:. Nobody REALLY knew who Cole/Kendrick/Wale/Drake were on the major scene in 2005/2006. I’m not talking about when these *****s put out their first work. I’m talking about when they broke onto national consciousness. And at the time, XXL and those mags/internet grouped cats together. It’s a 1-2 year period. Turn of the decade.

Drake really broke in early 09. So Far Gone came out then. Same with Sean/Wale/Cole etc. all in 09. Super dropped the next year in 10, then took off in 11. Them *****s are all contemporaries. It’s ok to accept that. Them *****s like a year apart. It’s why they share fan bases etc.

This is like saying Wale and Drake came out in 07 because of Nike boots and Comeback Season

You're really reaching for some sort of Future conversation. ****s weird.

i wasnt tryna doubt you i wanted reccomendations for new ****** to listen to :lol:

It's hard for me to recommend, because I listened for different reasons. One being anti radio and what was occurring in rap. A lot of it had different production.

Some stuff I enjoyed and still enjoy and others I would and can listen to today

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein and Vordul's The Revolution
Handsome Boy Modeling School
Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens
Non-Phixon
Murs
Little Brother
DOOM

I can listen to today

A lot of stuff I was listening to back then like Brother Ali, Immortal Technique, Blackilicious(RIP Gift of Gab), J Zone, Planet Asia, Atmosphere, Cage, Aesop Rock...... I wouldn't listen to and it would bore me now and was some nerd ****

I remember buying The High & Mighty just off some sneaker ****

R-230346-1461934053-7848.jpeg.jpg

61rfAcemAlL._SX466_.jpg

This is like saying Wale and Drake came out in 07 because of Nike boots and Comeback Season

You're really reaching for some sort of Future conversation. ****s weird.

You’re not following the conversation.

That is weird. Do better

Cole is an underground artist who just happen to cross over and become major. I've been listening to Cole type artist for 20+ years.

That's what _'s wanted. “Real hip hop”. Cole dropped a mixtape and a EP and then Hov grabbed him up

Kendrick is a lyricist but he's drawing from a wide variety of sources and likes to take chances. Cole more of a traditional rapper, he will likely never drop something as polarizing as TPAB and he way more relatable in real life for the average everyday _

Last edited:
Mal United black men and women Twitter.

that video of him talking about paying for the check all up and down my timeline with EVERYBODY calling him corny.

haven’t seen both sexes Be on the same page like this In a long time 🥲

His confidence is what's really funny about it.

I just want to know if he was out with a chick and some guy paid for their meal would he think the guy was being fly.

That's what _'s wanted. “Real hip hop”. Cole dropped a mixtape and a EP and then Hov grabbed him up

Kendrick is a lyricist but he's drawing from a wide variety of sources and likes to take chances. Cole more of a traditional rapper, he will likely never drop something as polarizing as TPAB and he way more relatable in real life for the average everyday _

I can see that

I liked Cole back then, actually more than Drake, because I started recognizing the non-singing dude was going to keep singing.

I thought Cole would grow and progress more. He's the NBA player you draft off potential and he never becomes what you thought for me.

:rofl: :rofl: Nah, ****** wasnt bumping no meathead in 06.

It's clear what you're talking about but these dudes all built up a buzz before their official debits. Their threads were made on NT. The ***** Wale was literally in here arguing with us about it. Same with Drake and Sean mixtapes. The So Far Gone joint is what broke him on a national level but obviously that's not whats being talked about when ppl talk about why these guys are grouped together constantly.

That's why it was specifically stated 4 or 5 years before Future.

Back
Top Bottom