THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Official Thread - 6/28 - TV Spot 10 on Last Page (More Selina Kyle)

Finally saw it last night. I enjoyed the movie but I also had a few issues with it

First of all, I have to agree with whoever said TDKR could have used more Batman. As I was watching, it did feel like Blake was made out to be more of the star/hero of the movie while Batman was just a support character, when it should have been the other way around.
The prison scenes in general were weak and undeveloped. Maybe I missed it, but what was stopping the prisoners from just climbing up the rope that was being used as a support harness? The jumping to the other platform thing seemed cheap and unnecessary.
The fight scenes with Bane were straight up boxing matches. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I think it would have been better if Batman used some of his gadgets and approached the battles with some sort of strategy. Why didn't he attempt to attack the mask from the beginning? And when he finally did, the way Batman took down Bane by punching him the mask a couple of times seemed too weak; it would have been more dramatic and believable if he actually destroyed or at least damaged the mask in some way imo.
I had more but this is all I feel like typing at 5 in the morning :lol:

I loved that the movie didn't have as much batman in it. It's precisely the reason why Nolan's films do so well even without batman dominating the screen. You really do care for the characters - In the previous batman films - you had no real attachment to Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, and hell everyone hated Robin. Nolan does an amazing job in encapsulating the audience to be APART of Batman's supporting cast - where you really grow fond of the ENTIRE inner bat-circle. Actual Empathy. When Bats is stuck in the pit - you know he's recovering - but you're not bored - you worry about the rest of the team - How Gordon and Blake are investigating Bane's plans- Just what exactly Selina Kyle's intentions are - The heartbreaking scene where Alfred revealed the truth to Bruce and where he was afterwards.

The prison scene - the rope didn't reach the top. The reason why the jump was so difficult was because in order to complete it - you had to rid yourself of the rope harness. Basically it means the difference between walking a tight-rope blindfolded with a safety net - and walking the tight rope without the blind but no safety net. In theory it's obvious which one will be easier - but that fear of dying. It can stop almost anyone. One mistake and you die - Bruce was the only one capable of doing it because he knew he would rather die than let his city burn. The other inmates did not have such motivation to look death in the face.

The Gadgets would not have worked on Bane because in the end it would always come down to a one on one mano-y-mano fight. It always does. Bane would be subdued - perhaps tied up - perhaps knocked out with a tranquilizer dart - anything. Soon enough though - escapes would occur and a confrontation would need to be faced. Batman's gadgets were never used to end any fight. Misdirection, perhaps even the odds - even strategically finding an advantage. Regardless - a hand to hand fight would always needed to be done. I'm glad it came down to a fight because Bat's was physically weaker, damaged spine, damaged knees, rusty (8 years time off) - In the end it mattered who wanted to win the fight more - First Bane had that motivation - the fire. 2nd Bats had it.

The mask - I assume it's because he learned the mask prevented Bane's excruciating pain only AFTER he was sent to the (Lazarus) pit. Like all of other Batman's villains - I guess assumed it was just another costume accessory IE: Scarecrow hay and mask, or Joker's makeup.

This movie was really good.. I don't really get it though cause Bane WAS born in a prison but in the movie you find out it was Thalia. And personally I feel like batman did not have a very significant role in the movie like he should have. And also Bane should have been waay beastlier, I mean he kinda was but not insane like in the comics

I somewhat agree that he could have been a little more insane but many forget that Bane is also supposed to be a genius which they portrayed excellently.

Many also don't realize that his voice is supposed to represent his genius.

Last edited:
Personally I really never had a problem that TDKR featured less Batman and more Bruce Wayne. For me, I really liked how Nolan focused more into the psych and the inner machinations of Bruce. This is why I really got into The Crow (comic/movie) 18 years ago. I'm more fascinated with the "tragic/flawed hero". This is why Batman and The Crow are 2 of my most favorite heroes of all time.

As they say to each his own, so I guess those who liked the Avengers more, or those looking for more Batman in TDKR are more concerned with the face value of the "superhero" aspect that is adapted into the film.

pretty interesting read regarding where the Joker's possible whereabouts in TDKR from CBR:

For those looking for some extra insight into "The Dark Knight Rises," io9 has posted part of the second chapter of Greg Cox's "The Dark Knight Rises" novelization, detailing the opening scene of the film.

In fact, Cox's novelization brings some insight to other areas as well -- including the possible whereabouts of the Joker. Nuke The Fridge has posted a quote from the novel that directly mentions where the Joker may be held.

"Now that the Dent Act had made it all but impossible for the city’s criminals to cop an insanity plea, [Blackgate Prison] had replaced Arkham Asylum as a preferred location for imprisoning both convicted and suspected felons. The worst of the worst were sent here, except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham’s sole remaining inmate. Or perhaps he had escaped. Nobody was really sure. Not even Selina."

pretty interesting read regarding where the Joker's possible whereabouts in TDKR from CBR:
For those looking for some extra insight into "The Dark Knight Rises," io9 has posted part of the second chapter of Greg Cox's "The Dark Knight Rises" novelization, detailing the opening scene of the film.
In fact, Cox's novelization brings some insight to other areas as well -- including the possible whereabouts of the Joker. Nuke The Fridge has posted a quote from the novel that directly mentions where the Joker may be held.

"Now that the Dent Act had made it all but impossible for the city’s criminals to cop an insanity plea, [Blackgate Prison] had replaced Arkham Asylum as a preferred location for imprisoning both convicted and suspected felons. The worst of the worst were sent here, except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham’s sole remaining inmate. Or perhaps he had escaped. Nobody was really sure. Not even Selina."

:wow: :lol: :rofl: :smh:

Last edited:
"Was getting caught part of your plan?"

"Of Course!"

Bane was insane. Loved his voice.

Best quote from Bane for me :

"I was wondering what would brake first, your spirit or your body."

Last edited:
I somewhat agree that he could have been a little more insane but many forget that Bane is also supposed to be a genius which they portrayed excellently.
Many also don't realize that his voice is supposed to represent his genius.
 To add to your point people also forget that he has tremendous PRESENCE even when he isn't doing anything, and not just when he's fighting or being physical on screen. That one scene in the courtroom where he's just chillin on the side...he still owned that room without saying or doing anything. I think what they had was just the right level of insane...and I think it's kinda what makes him even more boss that he doesn't have to get to THAT level of 'insane' to hold the entire city in the palm of his hand.

My favorite quote was from Alfred.

"Maybe it's time we stop trying to outsmart the truth and let it have its day"

My favorite quote was from Alfred.
"Maybe it's time we stop trying to outsmart the truth and let it have its day"

That was a GREAT quote, gonna have to use it on some triflin' females that I run into constantly. But, there were ALOT of great quotes from this movie....

Finally saw it last night. Movie was so crazy. I was feeling Hathaway from the jump. too many quotable. Bain's death was so anticlimactic.

Also I just noticed, Batman doesn't kill a single person in the film. Just disables them and whatnot.

The quotes in TDKR trump anything in both BB and TDK. Although Joker had some great lines and witty banter, TDKR in its grandiose approach provides many more memorable quotes by more charactes. Or it could just be an effect of us knowing this is it. No more Batman for at least 3 years and no more Nolan Batman ever so we're trying to savor it more haha. Either way you can't deny the wittiness was there but so were dope quotes.

And yes Bane is more than just a villain he's a PRESENCE throughout the film. The cinematagrophy was amazing considering Hardy is only 5'9" but felt well over 6 feet. The scene on the roof where Batman and Catwoman are escaping the gunfire and he's just casually strolling towrds them with that glare in his eyes. He was like a lion on the prowl, stalking his prey non-chalantly. One of the most cold-blooded parts was after he gives Bruce his speech in the jail he stands up and presses down on Bruce's chest like "Oh yeah here's a little reminder of what I did to you"

Here are some easter eggs I picked up in TDKR. Some obvious, some possibly forced but still fun to see:

Mr Freeze:

When Lucius asks Bruce what brings him out of Cryo-sleep I feel it was a nod to Mr Freeze however it could be a stretch.

Killer Croc:

Blake telling Wayne about Gordon being shot and Gordon talking about the army, Blake says "They asked if he saw any killer alligators down there" Obvious.

The Red Hood:

Possibly coincidence or a stretch but When Bane shows up @ the stock exchange rocking the red helmet and motorcylcle jacket definitely reminiscent of the Jason Todd Red Hood.

Clayface:

Roland Dagget is the businessman who's company created Renu-You which transforms MAtt Hagen into Clayface in Batman The Animated Series.

Robin:

Obvious not much to say here.

Any others I might have missed?

Last edited:
Finally saw it last night. Movie was so crazy. I was feeling Hathaway from the jump. too many quotable. Bain's death was so anticlimactic.
Also I just noticed, Batman doesn't kill a single person in the film. Just disables them and whatnot.

Batman doesn't kill.

That's why in Batman Begins he says I won't kill you but I don't have to save you

Batman doesn't kill.
That's why in Batman Begins he says I won't kill you but I don't have to save you

I always found it kinda dumb in the comics how, " Batman never kills". I mean, maybe not intentionally, but in real life if you punch somebody in the head, and maybe they fall down the wrong way, or any number of accidental complications, they can die, So I mean, you'd think Batman wouldve accidently gave somebody a concussion or a serious head injury that wouldve later caused their death

I always found it kinda dumb in the comics how, " Batman never kills". I mean, maybe not intentionally, but in real life if you punch somebody in the head, and maybe they fall down the wrong way, or any number of accidental complications, they can die, So I mean, you'd think Batman wouldve accidently gave somebody a concussion or a serious head injury that wouldve later caused their death

I guess when it's stated that Batman doesn't kill, it means that he never had the intention to kill to begin with. You're absolutely right that what he does occasionally leads to the death of his foes though.

Over-analyzing. :lol:

I guess when it's stated that Batman doesn't kill, it means that he never had the intention to kill to begin with. You're absolutely right that what he does occasionally leads to the death of his foes though.

Yeah when he came thru with the Bat, and shot the cannon right before the bif fight btw the police and mercenaries, I was like, "why didn't he just open fire then merk them all"???

Actually if you watch Burtons Batman films, he does indeed kill.

This movie was beyond good. I don't know what some of you were expecting. Actually, I do know. You thought some how they'd resurrect Heath Ledger to play the Joker in some form. Then again, most of you, most of the world, was clamoring about how the guy from "10 Things I Hate about You" and "A Knight's Tale" shouldn't be allowed to follow Jack Nicholson. Then he ends up tragically passing, all the while KILLING his role as the Joker, and on top of the acclaim he deservedly received, he's given this ultimate "none before, none shall come after" treatment.

I saw someone say Heath was the "face of the franchise".

Are you serious?

Christian Bale in Begins is Bruce Wayne. Christian Bale is Batman in The Dark Knight. He is BOTH in Rises. Not only is he both, he gives us the BEST rendition of both ever.

I know I sound like I'm *****ing up a storm, but it's pretty aggravating to see how unappreciative we've become, not only as Americans, but just people in general. I've really yet to see a legitimate reason from anyone why they didn't like this movie. I've seen complaints about "it's rushed" or "the ending sucked"... but no one can elaborate on it. It's as if one person see's a few people repeat the same thing and then just chimes right in. Same goes with music. That's why 808s was hated when it first dropped, yet now every other week in Music we have some thread about it being a classic and being some of Kanye's best work. Someone wasn't comfortable with it first week, said something negative, the sheep follow.

The entire movie is about Bruce Wayne finally facing the reality that he is just a man. A man in a suit. That determination, heart, will, and his SOUL are what makes him Batman. Not the money. Not the gadgets. Not his reckless abandon because he's not afraid of anything.

As far as some of the more common complaints about the movie, well. Bane's mask; what more explanation do you need? Use context clues. He got the **** kicked out of him by a prison full of dudes. The minute the pipes on it bust, he was in pain. It's a painkiller. Do we need the chemistry and the science behind it? This isn't Breaking Bad. It doesn't kill him, just makes him pretty numb. I'm pretty sure Chris Nolan even kind of touched on that in an interview.

Auto Pilot? Yes. Absoulutely, 100%. Rewatch the movie. The first time Bruce and Lucius talk, post-him using the Bat, he makes a remark along the lines of "Yeah, it worked great... even WITHOUT the auto pilot." If you've got any common sense, you can tell that he's acknowledging that it's lack of auto pilot is a problem they should fix, regardless of its current state. They wouldn't have even brought that up earlier in the movie if not to tie in the with conclusion.

That's probably way more than anyone wanted to read, but I've probably followed the Batman mythos just as much as I have Michael Jordan, which is what originally led me to NT. I can't even fathom how you can say TDK was such a great movie, and then say Rises wasn't. I saw someone say they were the same movie and I couldn't have been ANYMORE confused. Either way, the only disappointing part is that it's over.

Hopefully whomever gets the greenlight in 4-5 years for the franchise reboot (confirmed already) doesn't give us crap. Personally, I'd love to see a Batman Beyond.

Great post. People are complaining just to complain.

This was a great movie. Bane was a flat out MONSTER., Tom Hardy killed it. Nobody can match what Heath did as The Joker but Tom Hardy was still great.

I really thought he was dead for a minute. I kept thinking "Him Alfred ended on bad terms :smh:".It was predictable that Alfred would see Bruce at the table when he walked in but that was still a great ending. I loved how they showed Blake preparing to take the throne.

Anybody else tear up when Alfred is crying at the end?
I also almost teared up when Alfred finally tells bruce about how rachel was going to marry harvey.:frown:
Superb acting

Outstanding movie. Loved every bit of it (well, aside from Talia's awful death).

All the "plot holes" that some of you are complaining about are either explained in the film itself or explained by this two word sentence: "It's Batman."

Anybody else tear up when Alfred is crying at the end?
I also almost teared up when Alfred finally tells bruce about how rachel was going to marry harvey.:frown:
Superb acting

Truth right there. Michael Caine definitely brought his A game to the entire trilogy.

I get that, but you could torture Wayne other ways. have a direct web cam stream into the city showing how people are going crazy and turning on each other. Killing the rich etc.
:smh: did you fall asleep in the movie? he was televising the s*** while Bruce was in the prison!

then he got so frustrated one day and threw a rock at the TV, breaking it

Back
Top Bottom