The days of illegal downloading coming to an end

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So can I be tracked (of course I can) if I only use MegaUpload type sites that people post links of on other messageboards?

I would say yes and no. Yes, you can be tracked because I'm sure these sites keep logs, also whatever browser or dl manager you're using also keeps logs. The only thing is to try and stay away from files whose names are not coded.

Originally Posted by voodoo

Originally Posted by DoubleD Productions

That's the thing, just like with coupons for stores and restaurants... some music content is put out at a discounted price or even free samples just to get it out there.  We know that's not the same as downloading pirated albums while trying to justify it with "it's advertising". 

More has changed and is changing than just the music industry.  The sense of entitlement to get digital content for free is resulting in more laws and more restrictions on the internet.  You can't just steal content then say "well the good artist better know how to adapt".  You only apply this logic to music (and digital content) because you know it's currently easier to get away with it.  I doubt you're an advocate of shoplifting while using the justification "the good retail chains better adapt and just learn to deal with getting ripped off",  "they shouldn't seek to decrease or prevent shoplifting because hey this a new generation and we don't expect to pay for &*^$."
Yeah, you don't make much sense. But I'll agree to disagree. Have a good day.

I guess I shouldn't expect to make sense to someone who defines & justifies downloading pirated content as "advertising".  I'll agree to disagree as well.

I agree with double D, piracy has led to the increased success of most artists. They want you to listen to them whether you buy it or not. They would never have become household names in this era without millions of dollars in marketing anyway, piracy is just another form of it.

I guess I shouldn't expect to make sense to someone who defines & justifies downloading pirated content as "advertising".  I'll agree to disagree as well.
I didn't define or attempt to justify anything. I was just being honest, which is a rarity when it comes to downloading.
You said your peace and I did as well. It's ok to entertain someones opinion without accepting it, a lot of times it just

reaffirms how you felt in the place. I respect what you have to say, see it as a valid argument, but I simply do not agree.  

It would be great if everything was a clear cut as you make it out to be, but downloading is complicated and can't be 

lumped into the same category as stealing from a restaurant or retail theft. I feel you, but I don't agree.  

Just don't try to take another swipe if you said you agree to disagree. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Noskey

Meth, or anyone else who refuses to pirate, what are your thoughts on people who try before they buy? Like say I want to hear an album in full before I decide if it's worth paying for, so I pirate the music or movie. Is it unethical or illegal to really want to know if you'll enjoy the product?

FTR, I'm still in the minority of people that buy hard copies of media when I think it's worth paying for.

...i have no problem with that at all.

...and its not that i refuse to pirate, it that if i do download and like what i hear, i have no problem paying for it.

....i just dont get the attitude of:

"who pays for music?"
roll.gif

....when you legitimately do like a particular artist, your choice is to not support them at all? even worse support stealing from them? makes no sense. how is that artist you love so much supposed to make more of the music you love if they arent getting paid for it?

....however, this is the same generation of:

"who's Paul McCartney  IDGAF"

....so the attitude.....the mocking......the sense of entitlement is pretty much expected.

....this generation just DGAF
ohwell.gif
, as ignorant as that view is, we see evidence of it on a daily basis. 

laugh.gif
 only this generation can one rationalize stealing music from the atists they love and expect that same artist to basically work for free. all because TDGAF
laugh.gif

You sound frustrated. Do I expect to walk into a restaurant and eat for free? Your analogy doesn't mesh well, but I'll bite. 
Did you ever hear of coupons? Entertainment book? Groupon? These places want to get you in the door so you can try
the food at a good price and hopefully come back while also influencing others to eat there. Have you ever been to Sam's

Club or walked through the mall food court? Why are they handing out free samples? That's advertising, or "adversising" as 

you put it.  

I'm not one to judge someone based on their age, but just reading your response you do seem a little old. The music industry

has changed, and the artists that have been able to adapt are the ones that are successful. If initially hearing an artist's music

for free wasn't a solid business model, then why would so many artists release entire projects for free? They're establishing

loyalty, the same way that the restaurants are trying to. 

Don't get me wrong, I buy music. In the past year I've bought 20+ physical cds, which is more than most of the people that I

know - even those who regurgitate the same argument that you're making. So, as a consumer, I do feel entitled to download

music. If you don't like it then that is fine because we each have an opinion and have to be held accountable for our actions, but

please don't try to condescend to the younger generation just because things have changed.

That's the thing, just like with coupons for stores and restaurants... some music content is put out at a discounted price or even free samples just to get it out there.  We know that's not the same as downloading pirated albums while trying to justify it with "it's advertising". 

More has changed and is changing than just the music industry.  The sense of entitlement to get digital content for free is resulting in more laws and more restrictions on the internet.  You can't just steal content then say "well the good artist better know how to adapt".  You only apply this logic to music (and digital content) because you know it's currently easier to get away with it.  I doubt you're an advocate of shoplifting while using the justification "the good retail chains better adapt and just learn to deal with getting ripped off",  "they shouldn't seek to decrease or prevent shoplifting because hey this a new generation and we don't expect to pay for &*^$."

eek.gif

laugh.gif

....yeah, i bet he doesnt.

....im seriously going to try to explain this to you. and i hope that my laughing at you doesnt get in the way of you being able to read and understand what im about to write. to make it easier, ill try to use your words as much as possible:

There are plenty of artists that I'm now a fan of that I would have overlooked if I HAD to drop $15 on their cd just to initially hear it. Now that I've 

heard the music and I like it, I'm a fan. I follow them on Twitter, talk positively about them to the people I know and ultimately

put people around me on to a new artist.

......so you downloaded Artist X's cd for free, liked it, and became a fan. due to the fact that if you had to pay for it you never would have heard it in the first place. right?

...okay, so your compensation to that artist for that free album you downloaded is you becoming a fan, you following them on Twitter, and you talking positively about them to the people you know? right?

......so tell me, can that artist pay any bills off of what you just listed as your compensation for their work? what your saying is your advertisement is enough compensation for the artist.

....so tell me, if everyones compensation to that artist is advertisement when does the artist get paid?

i can't get w/buying music from itunes or amazon...

when i do buy music i want a physical copy...just seems more natural that way
laugh.gif

only did amazon like twice when the album was .99

seasoned vet wrote:

eek.gif

laugh.gif

....im seriously going to try to explain this to you. and i hope that my laughing at you doesnt get in the way of you being able to read and understand what im about to write. to make it easier, ill try to use your words as much as possible:

There are plenty of artists that I'm now a fan of that I would have overlooked if I HAD to drop $15 on their cd just to initially hear it. Now that I've 

heard the music and I like it, I'm a fan. I follow them on Twitter, talk positively about them to the people I know and ultimately

......so you downloaded Artist X's cd for free, liked it, and became a fan. due to the fact that if you had to pay for it you never would have heard it in the first place. right?

...okay, so your compensation to that artist for that free album you downloaded is you becoming a fan, you following them on Twitter, and you talking positively about them to the people you know? right?

......so tell me, can that artist pay any bills off of what you just listed as your compensation for their work? what your saying is your advertisement is enough compensation for the artist.

....so tell me, if everyones compensation to that artist is advertisement when does the artist get paid?

Well, once I'm a fan I buy their CD and see their show when they come to town. It really isn't hard to understand
if you actually read what I wrote. If you really wanted to quote my text then I'll encourage you to read the back 

and forth conversation. I was never disrespectful and just voiced my opinion. The whole enlarging and bolding text,

making huge laughing faces and long bullet points are kind of over the top though. You're not going to stop illegal

downloading by trying to put me on blast for simply writing a clear and valid argument. Good luck on your crusade. 

seasoned vet wrote:

eek.gif

laugh.gif

Well, once I'm a fan I buy their CD and see their show when they come to town. It really isn't hard to understand
if you actually read what I wrote.  

nooo, you saiiiid:

I buy the artists music that I support and I don't buy from iTunes or Amazon, I want the physical cd. People don't understand 
that a lot of times when people download a cd or song illegally they most likely were never going to purchase that artists' music

anyway. They are taking a chance on an artist and listening to something that they otherwise wouldn't have. There are plenty of

artists that I'm now a fan of that I would have overlooked if I HAD to drop $15 on their cd just to initially hear it. Now that I've 

In todays industry, the popular consensus of an artist is way more important than their sales numbers (although I cannot deny 

that sales numbers do have an impact on their label situation) in my opinion. Most artists are not eating off of album sales, they

are eating off of tour money, merchandise, spins etc. After I hear some music that I downloaded and I like it I'm an advertisement 

for the artist, and if I don't like it, I wouldn't have bought it or been exposed to this artist anyway.  

...dont try to change it now.

Don't get me wrong, I buy music. In the past year I've bought 20+ physical cds, which is more than most of the people that I

know. 

....ftr, this wasnt in your analogy. just because you bought 20+ physical cd's doenst mean you downloaded them first.

.....its a lie anyway because if you really was buying the artists you downloaded you'd have said so.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet
For everyone that didnt see what seasoned vet said before editing his post, it said "Show me where you wrote you 
BUY THE CD" then it had a huge one these: 
nerd.gif

I guess he went back, put on his reading glasses and actually looked at the first line of my first response which says: 

"I buy the artists music that I support and I don't buy from iTunes or Amazon, I want the physical cd." None of my 

posts have been edited by the way. I'm a supporter of music and I was just trying to add to the conversation by

saying how I felt.

.....power bill due today. i think imma try to pay them in advertisements
roll.gif

...whats worse is you do photography and graphic design. how would you feel if someone stole your stuff, gave you a pound, and said "its cool, i got you, ill tell everyone about how good your product is".

The thing is, seasoned vet, looking at your response on the last page we pretty much agree on downloading,
as long as you support the artists that you like. I agreed with alot of your points, the whole "Who pays for music

anymore IDGAF" attitude disgusts me. What I think happened was, you saw a piece of what I said and jumped

to a conclusion... and now you're trying to justify everything you previously said. It's cool, it seems like we both 

support the artists that we like and most of our ideals align. 

This just goes to show that alot of people are on here to get a laugh and put someone on blast. Alot of the times

it is hilarious and I love when general brings out the jokes and laughter, but alot of times people reach TOO far

and try to be TOO funny. That's why I usually just read and dont post alot. It's cool though man, the truth are in

the posts, I havent edited anything, and you've edited some of the posts twice. You don't have to try so hard bro.

roll.gif

...whats worse is you do photography and graphic design. how would you feel if someone stole your stuff, gave you a pound, and said "its cool, i got you, ill tell everyone about how good your product is".

I do work for free sometimes. When I first started out I did work exclusively for free, because I wasn't that good.
The work that I did for free gave me a solid reputation in Pittsburgh which led to more business and more money.

In my opinion, people telling others "about how good your product line is" is the epitome of working toward 

long-term success. 

The thing is, seasoned vet, looking at your response on the last page we pretty much agree on downloading,
as long as you support the artists that you like. I agreed with alot of your points, the whole "Who pays for music

anymore IDGAF" attitude disgusts me. What I think happened was, you saw a piece of what I said and jumped

to a conclusion... and now you're trying to justify everything you previously said. It's cool, it seems like we both 

support the artists that we like and most of our ideals align. 

This just goes to show that alot of people are on here to get a laugh and put someone on blast. Alot of the times

it is hilarious and I love when general brings out the jokes and laughter, but alot of times people reach TOO far

and try to be TOO funny. That's why I usually just read and dont post alot. It's cool though man, the truth are in

the posts, I havent edited anything, and you've edited some of the posts twice. You don't have to try so hard bro.

....you're wrong. i saw BOTH of your replies the first time. i just dont believe you claim of purchasing 20+ physical copies applies to those you downloaded.......which is probably why its omitted from your analogy.

...and thats just it, im almost NEVER trying to by funny on here. i let the stupid stuff people say on here speak for itself.

...a freelance Photographer, Graphic Artist, and Writer openly defending piracy is as stupid and as funny as it gets. you dont even have to try with that one.

...its so easy to have your attitude when its not your product. i wonder how you feel about your own?

roll.gif

I let people use code that I've written for free, it's not that serious...

roll.gif

I do work for free sometimes. When I first started out I did work exclusively for free, because I wasn't that good.
The work that I did for free gave me a solid reputation in Pittsburgh which led to more business and more money.

In my opinion, people telling others "about how good your product line is" is the epitome of working toward 

long-term success. 

...and thats YOUR CHOICE because its YOUR PRODUCT.
laugh.gif

...you're forcing your own opinions on someone elses product like thats how its supposed to be.

...i say again, artists cant eat advertisements. but if they want to thats up for them to decide not the consumer.

Originally Posted by Credo

roll.gif

I let people use code that I've written for free, it's not that serious...

....see above answer

buying cds is nothing these days its about going to the shows or buying if you care about supporting artist

ive never bought a lil wayne cd ever in my life but I paid 110 for floor seats and bought 2 ymcmb t shirts for my sister for christmas, I am pretty sure we are even.

I'm starting to think the fundamental disagreement here is not about whether piracy is moral or not but about an understanding of how the world works.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

buying cds is nothing these days its about going to the shows or buying if you care about supporting artist.

Wait.... so millions of people who pirated his music is somehow negated by a smaller portion of people who went to see him in concert?

"buying cds is nothing these days its about going to the shows or buying if you care about supporting artist 

ive never bought a lil wayne cd ever in my life but I paid 110 for floor seats and bought 2 ymcmb t shirts for my sister for christmas, I am pretty sure we are even."
^^^It was Wayne though.

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

buying cds is nothing these days its about going to the shows or buying if you care about supporting artist.

Wait.... so millions of people who pirated his music is somehow negated by a smaller portion of people who went to see him in concert?

laugh.gif
  exactly.

Originally Posted by Twig1026

All these people who haven't purchased media since like 02, who's gonna start spending?

....advertisements son! its the new black. 
roll.gif

laugh.gif
 @ "EYE do work for free sometimes" so its completely okay for me to steal YOUR work and tell people how good it is. nevermind the fact that you want me to pay for it.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Never underestimate the ability of human beings to rationalize their own selfishness. 

....amen to that.

...this thread is proof that peoples rationalization of their own selfishness knows NO BOUNDS.

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

a small percent? are you serious? average ticket price is 5x more than a cd cost. And most artist are making what 1 dollar max per cd? Have yall seen the mark ups on cds? Artist are only getting what up to 2 bucks a cd. Im sure the tour breakdown is a lot more. And millions of pirates? When people were buying cds average rapper wasnt going platinum so we can kill that noise.

The money is in touring, appearances, guest verses, and merchandising NOT album sales. Look at Meek Mill, Asap Rocky, Weeknd etc.. all these guys are eating as if they had a album in stores.

Only people losing money off pirating are record labels and retail stores

Back
Top Bottom