The Daytona 500...yes? no?

I know racing isn't the cup of tea for most of the NT clientele and I have to admit, I don't follow it too closely myself, but my dad loves it. I've been flipping back and forth between the race and the Ohio St./Purdue game. For those that follow this religiously (I know there has to be one or two), are there normally this many wrecks? There seems to be a wreck like every 5 laps. With the newly paved track, they have to race in pairs bumper to bumper. It has to be nerve racking.

I know racing isn't the cup of tea for most of the NT clientele and I have to admit, I don't follow it too closely myself, but my dad loves it. I've been flipping back and forth between the race and the Ohio St./Purdue game. For those that follow this religiously (I know there has to be one or two), are there normally this many wrecks? There seems to be a wreck like every 5 laps. With the newly paved track, they have to race in pairs bumper to bumper. It has to be nerve racking.

Lol...no replies. I'm gonna take that as a no. 
laugh.gif
It's getting toward the end now, which is pretty much the only entertaining part to me.

Lol...no replies. I'm gonna take that as a no. 
laugh.gif
It's getting toward the end now, which is pretty much the only entertaining part to me.

Son of a #%!$! I forgot about it
30t6p3b.gif

I always try to watch at least the last 30 laps or so... I've been really sick the last few days and worked today so it slipped my mind.

Son of a #%!$! I forgot about it
30t6p3b.gif

I always try to watch at least the last 30 laps or so... I've been really sick the last few days and worked today so it slipped my mind.

Wow...20 year old kid in just his second start ever wins it. The team that owns his car doesn't even enter every race. Wow! He can't even go have a beer to celebrate.

Wow...20 year old kid in just his second start ever wins it. The team that owns his car doesn't even enter every race. Wow! He can't even go have a beer to celebrate.

laugh.gif
21 yrs old or not that boy goin downtown gettin busy tonight
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Congrats to that kid... Amazing that it took some of the legends of the sport +\- 20 years of racing to get a W at Daytona. Cant take that victory for granted.

laugh.gif
21 yrs old or not that boy goin downtown gettin busy tonight
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Congrats to that kid... Amazing that it took some of the legends of the sport +\- 20 years of racing to get a W at Daytona. Cant take that victory for granted.

The sports books didn't even give a line for the kid. He was just listed as part of "the field" at 30-1 odds.

The sports books didn't even give a line for the kid. He was just listed as part of "the field" at 30-1 odds.

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

With the newly paved track, they have to race in pairs bumper to bumper. It has to be nerve racking.
What does this mean? I've heard brought up a couple times this week and I don't get it.

With the newly paved track, they have to race in pairs bumper to bumper. It has to be nerve racking.
What does this mean? I've heard brought up a couple times this week and I don't get it.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

To stay fast enough on these big tracks cars have to work together and keep the draft on each other... if 2 cars are "Bumper to bumper" the car behind is getting "sucked" into the slip stream of the car in front and in turn creates a buffer in between the cars that pushes the car in front to go faster.

Basically the lead car no longer has to deal with drag off of the tail of the car and the rear car doesn't have to deal with breaking the wind in front of it... Airflow is more widely dispersed over the 2 (or more) cars allowing it to move faster due to less resistance.

To stay fast enough on these big tracks cars have to work together and keep the draft on each other... if 2 cars are "Bumper to bumper" the car behind is getting "sucked" into the slip stream of the car in front and in turn creates a buffer in between the cars that pushes the car in front to go faster.

Basically the lead car no longer has to deal with drag off of the tail of the car and the rear car doesn't have to deal with breaking the wind in front of it... Airflow is more widely dispersed over the 2 (or more) cars allowing it to move faster due to less resistance.

This is bumper to bumper racing. Basically the back car "pushes" the front car.

ee7541c1a52eeddc95306b8c885bb21c-getty-107745390ch196_daytona_500.jpg

This is bumper to bumper racing. Basically the back car "pushes" the front car.

ee7541c1a52eeddc95306b8c885bb21c-getty-107745390ch196_daytona_500.jpg

used to watch nascar HEAVY 5-6 years back. i remember waking up and putting on my dale Jarrett shirt
laugh.gif

ppl still
eek.gif
when i tell them i preferred nascar over NFL on sundays. at one point of my life, esp. since im black
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom