The Droid Fires Shots At Apple

Somebody at google is going to get shot over this.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

yea but just like the mp3 market even if something better comes along.......

APPLE is still APPLE people just want it just cuz its APPLE

btw BLACKBERRY>>>>>

Originally Posted by airforce416

Droid looks like a problem
i saw this earlier. if the motorola droid had been available when i bought my iphone last year, i wouldn't have gotten an iphone. andi'm a mac fanatic. with all the capabilities + the fact that i was already on verizon (with the majority of my friends), there would have been no reasonto switch.

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Originally Posted by airforce416

Droid looks like a problem
i saw this earlier. if the motorola droid had been available when i bought my iphone last year, i wouldn't have gotten an iphone. and i'm a mac fanatic. with all the capabilities + the fact that i was already on verizon (with the majority of my friends), there would have been no reason to switch.

YUP.

I'll still probably hold off though for something I REALLY want.

Droid looks *@%+%* SICK! Smooth, and responsive and Flash 10 ready
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Of course its not gonna kill the iPhone b/c the iPhone has a network to itself in AT&T, but it will def take up a huge amount of Verizon from Blackberryand WinMo devices. It's not as user friendly as the iPhone is, so its not made for soccer moms, but it seems extremely functional for anyone who is evenremotely technology literate. One more thing, it's true that there have been SEVERAL iPhone killers, but after the first reviews/vids came out none of themlooked good at all. The droid seems to be a beast!

Android already has a ton of USEFUL apps, and with open development and the emergence of android operating system thatnumber will only increase.

Oh, right, and that Google turn-by-turn...
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. Maybe this tread should change to "Droid fires shots at Apple/Garmin/TomTom"

Official Thread may be needed...

Originally Posted by jbeezie

Originally Posted by wwsindicate

Don't throw rocks at the throne.
Yes throne. And I normally like to come in here to laugh at the Apple fanboys, but the first couple pages have been filled with responses in whichthe iphone fans seem more sensible than the haters for once. Sometimes it seems like y'all just hate to hate. Dude even said he recognizes thattechnologically the iphone is not the goat if you go spec for spec, but that's not the only thing that makes you the goat. The iphone has made stridestoward progress for the whole cell phone/technological market in aspects that are not easily summed up in bullets of specs. Blackberry has been a popular smartphone for a while, but you can't tell me that the impact on the public acceptance of smart phones that the iphone had doesn't equate or exceed that ofthe Blackberry. And we're talking about a phone that's been out for less than half the time as bb phones. Thing is, some people are looking at thesmaller picture i.e. specs, but what about overall? iphone is killing the apps market (my homies made around $10k in just a couple months doing apps as a sidething), revolutionized the human systems interface for smart phones (look how wack the bb trackball is and how much worse windows mobile looks in retrospect),and jus popularized the idea that simpler is better (again, see the previous failed attempts of windows mobile).
http://www.theiphoneblog....tronic-platform-history/

Lets get to the REAL facts.

Iphone>Apps
BB>BBM

What is the Droids catchy thing? I dont want to hear about tech specs. You can talk on every phone/use the net/listen to music. But the top phones (IP/BB) havethat niche that nobody can mess with. What is the Androids"thing" going to be?

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

Iphone>Apps
BB>BBM

What is the Droids catchy thing? I dont want to hear about tech specs. You can talk on every phone/use the net/listen to music. But the top phones (IP/BB) have that niche that nobody can mess with. What is the Androids"thing" going to be?
android>open source

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

Iphone>Apps
BB>BBM

What is the Droids catchy thing? I dont want to hear about tech specs. You can talk on every phone/use the net/listen to music. But the top phones (IP/BB) have that niche that nobody can mess with. What is the Androids"thing" going to be?

This makes sense. However, because the Droid is directly developed with Google, you'd have to assume that its niche is as a "mobile googleinterface." Google, along with Apple, are two of the most powerful companies in business right now. The iPhone is directly in sync with Apple, andthereby fortifies its production and fanbase. The Droid, and the Android OS, seems to be directly in sync with Google, and that should be enough to give it ahuge chuck of the CDMA cell phone market. Google Voice, GMail, Google talk, GChat, Google Maps, etc. are all widely used and trusted products that now have adirect line to an extremely powerful phone.

Not to mention, a lot of the best aspects that BB and the iPhone have come out with or missed have already been put in place with the Droid. The iPhone has85k apps, and Android has several thousand apps. BB has BBM, and Droid has GTalk, GChat, and will probably work with Google Wave when it goes public. Also,because it has open source development, new programs will be able to be added by outside companies. For example, Flash 10. It's coming to Android early2010. The iPhone will not see Flash support until they loosen their reigns.

So, being open to development and working in direct connection with an extremely well developed company should allow for the Droid and other Android devices toshare a large piece of the cell phone industry.

EDIT: I forgot to add that another niche that the Droid can hang its hat on is that of a extremely powerful and (technically) free GPS device. Garmin and TomTom took huge hits today in the stock market because of this new Google Turn-by-turn direction program. Unlike Garmin and Tom Tom where you have to paymonthly charges to get updated GPS, the Droid provides real-live (seemingly excellent) GPS free of charge.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I don't understand all the "android devices" talk.

Like how many of these are dropping?
Android is the OS, like Windows Mobile.
Various companies will have it running on their phones.

Of course Apple is gonna get numbers regardless of what drops. It's still got exclusivity on the AT&T network. And the name "Apple" willalways sell.

Seemingly and infinite amount of Android devices will come out. It looks like verizon is gonna push it hard. 2 android devices comin out on the 6thwith a few others comin down the pipe.

Back
Top Bottom