The Game of Basketball Appreciation post

i went to the park today and saw a little 10 year old boy. the pureness of him just practicing his handle and shooting was great.
i taught him how to pick and roll for 20 minutes.

on the other court was a father of a 4 year old lookign boy. he was having fun posting his kid up making jokes for his wife to hear, and teaching his kidsomething his father probly taught to him.

i had a 3 on 3 tournament where my team won without having a go to guy .we won just playing tough, playing gritty. we rebounded and putback for half of our 16buckets.

I come home to a great nationally televised game between two playoff caliber teams like the Golden State Warriors and the Portland TrailBlazers thatwouldn't be anywhere near the playoff picture a few years ago. New superstars like Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Brandon Roy are starting to play withveteran swag.

March Madness is in full effect.

and the future is still looking bright with guys like Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, Love, Beasley, and my personal favorite Eric Gordon.

and for this day, the past and the future, basketball is APPRECIATED

I <3 Basketball
pimp.gif

As general as this post is... I love it.

I work all day, but lately I have been gettin into the gym for 2 hours a night and workin on my J. APPRECIATED to the fullest
pimp.gif

i know how you feel...

although im still in high school..i know my career doesn't lie in basketball and my "career" ended on a league championship.

it's great seeing the freshmen develop into varsity players....
and when ever i go to the gym i encourage little kids to run on the big courts to develop as much as they can. i play with them and just encourage them toshoot, and give up my open shot just for the youngin's cause i know my time is up...and it's their time now

me being older, i feel like i need to give back to basketball the things that it gave me, just relaxation and a sort of therapy.

Basketball> many things in life...

I still remember my dad taking me out into the driveway while he shot jumpers. I couldn't even hit the rim at that point. Still have that feeling when I gohoop. Spent an hour on a dusty outdoor court this afternoon working on my jumper in the wind. Will play at 8 in the morning tomorrow and again at 8 in theevening. Love it.

APPRECIATED!!!

I didn't even get introduced to basketball until I was 16. One of the group homes I was in had this staff member named Jeremiah (last name withheld becauseI know what website I'm on and how ruthless some of the people are on here). He was the girl's coach at San Gorgonio HS, and for some reason, he justtook it upon himself to teach me basketball. I had never done anything but watch before, but I had never played like at playgrounds and stuff or at parks,because... I mean... because I knew I was terrible.
laugh.gif

But dude started taking me to his practices, having me help out sometimes, just having me hang out and watch most times, and helping me out on the court thatwas at that home. Every time we had an organized game at the house, he always picked me and ran plays for me and stuff.

Obviously, I freaking loved it, man. I don't want to get into it too much, but I had never, EVER had someone show me attention like that, man. SO not onlydid I appreciate him and what he was doing for me, but it made me love basketball soooooo much, because that's what he used to kind of... 'bigbrother' me. Know what I mean? If he would have been a baseball coach, then I would love baseball more than anything today, because that's what hewould have used to mentor me.

That's how I got introduced to basketball, and my love for the game has just grown every day since he first showed me how to shoot. I was transferred to adifferent home after being in that one for 13 months, and I have learned TONS about the game since me and him parted ways. The thing that will be awesome willbe when my 6-month old son is old enough to start learning things like basketball, and I start teaching him the beginnings that Jeremiah taught me.
smokin.gif

Except hopefully, my son will have enough time (and I'll have enough patience and knowledge
nerd.gif
) to maybe do something with basketball, like get ascholarship somewhere.

But whether or not that happens, I still love this game of basketball, and I have Jeremiah to thank for putting me onto it.
smile.gif

P.S. Y'all be easy playing on asphalt and concrete all the time; that mess has torn my knees UP.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

P.S. Y'all be easy playing on asphalt and concrete all the time; that mess has torn my knees UP.
frown.gif

You don't want to see how many scars i have on both my knees
smh.gif
. I reallymessed my knees up
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

frown.gif

smh.gif
. I really messed my knees up
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
Word....Me too.

But I just love it man...I can't really explain it....

Nothin better than a Sunday....Late afternoon.....Not too hot outside....Park full of people...

Hoopin till dark....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Especially when you know you got a killer squad and y'all might be on the court until y'all leave
eek.gif

Giving dudes the business....Popping *@!% on occasion, but mostly just going hard....

I miss HS...
frown.gif
frown.gif

I've been playing since I was 5 or 6 & still play at least 2-3 times a week.

So yes, I LOVE basketball!

1. I just love playing basketball
2. If I'm angry, sad, upset, etc.... I go play basketball & it helps a LOT
3. I've met lots of friends through basketball
4. It's something that no matter what is going on I can turn to, to make me feel GOOD about myself (hey... my J is just nasty
laugh.gif
happy.gif
)
5. It gives me an outlet to be competitive
6. It keeps you in good shape
7. The memories....
8. The list goes on & on & on....

me:
frown.gif
GSDOUBLEU:
smh.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I hear ya, bro.

Not to turn this into a pissing contest at all, but I've had three knee surgeries myself; arthroscopic sugery on my left knee in '97, arthroscopicsugery on my right knee in '98, left ACL replaced in '98, and I tore my right ACL in '01, but haven't had a chance at ALL to take 4-7 monthsoff to have it replaced + rehabbed.
ohwell.gif
So I've been playing since'01 with no ACL in my right knee. It took me about 1 year after that to finally decide to put a serious halt on playing on concrete/asphalt. #1. It'sjust murder on anyone's knees. #2. It hurts my right knee so bad.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

I feel a little funny and emotional when writing this but I love everything about basketball. The intensity is great, the competition is great. Probably theonly sport where u see men fly and uses every part of his body. I probably would not be the same person today if there are no basketball. I feel free wheneveri lay foot on the court. I just let every bad/negative things of my life go away and just focus on the game. Thank you basketball
smile.gif

me:
frown.gif
GSDOUBLEU:
smh.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I hear ya, bro.

Not to turn this into a pissing contest at all, but I've had three knee surgeries myself; arthroscopic sugery on my left knee in '97, arthroscopic sugery on my right knee in '98, left ACL replaced in '98, and I tore my right ACL in '01, but haven't had a chance at ALL to take 4-7 months off to have it replaced + rehabbed.
ohwell.gif
So I've been playing since '01 with no ACL in my right knee. It took me about 1 year after that to finally decide to put a serious halt on playing on concrete/asphalt. #1. It's just murder on anyone's knees. #2. It hurts my right knee so bad.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Oh, Y'all were talking about surgery scars???

I though you were just talking about being scarred up from the concrete
embarassed.gif

Luckily for me (knock on wood) no major injuries....

But I have a broken pinky that I never got fixed, so it healed back wrong so now the middle of my left pinky looks like its pregnant....
smh.gif

Thing is...Im better @ football than I am at Basketball, but I just don't love it the same.....I just play football because I can. I play basketball out of love for thegame...

Originally Posted by dreClark

me:
frown.gif
GSDOUBLEU:
smh.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
I hear ya, bro.

Not to turn this into a pissing contest at all, but I've had three knee surgeries myself; arthroscopic sugery on my left knee in '97, arthroscopic sugery on my right knee in '98, left ACL replaced in '98, and I tore my right ACL in '01, but haven't had a chance at ALL to take 4-7 months off to have it replaced + rehabbed.
ohwell.gif
So I've been playing since '01 with no ACL in my right knee. It took me about 1 year after that to finally decide to put a serious halt on playing on concrete/asphalt. #1. It's just murder on anyone's knees. #2. It hurts my right knee so bad.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Oh, Y'all were talking about surgery scars???

I though you were just talking about being scarred up from the concrete
embarassed.gif

Luckily for me (knock on wood) no major injuries....

But I have a broken pinky that I never got fixed, so it healed back wrong so now the middle of my left pinky looks like its pregnant....
smh.gif

Thing is...Im better @ football than I am at Basketball, but I just don't love it the same.....I just play football because I can. I play basketball out of love for the game...

Yea i thought we were talking about scars we got from like falling on the concrete and bleeding a lot.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
I've got a lot of those. No surgeries for me ( except for a hernia ). But nothing on my knees. But my knees do be hurting sometimes cause ofit.

Back
Top Bottom