The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

What engine are you guys running your websites on? I've been on cargo for about 7 months now but want to make the switch to something else. Any suggestions? I've had behance before already so I do not want to switch over to that.

Squarespace. It's cheap and if you know a a bit of CSS, you can really have fun with the layouts.

The only thing is there's no "free version" like there is with Cargo Collective. Still, it's not pricey; about $8/mo.

To my EU passport holding NTers. Wieden+Kennedy's Euro office in-house ad-school, The Kennedys, is now seeking members for it's SIXTH class.

You will work on W+K clients as well as your own.

You will receive housing and wages.

You will make things.

You will collaborate.

You will cheer.

You will stress.

You will drink.

You will drink a bit more.

Then you will make more things.

And for the first time ever, they are placing for two offices: Amsterdam and London.

View media item 1896028

In my graphics classic we have to create and present a rebrand for the school's Athletics department. I'm hype! Going all out. Drawing inspiration from UConns rebrand. Going to use uniform renders and everything. I'll post once it's all finished in the coming weeks.

A "Making of" video my work partner and I put together about that crocheted billboard a couple of posts up.

Fact: This was physically made by one woman, in three weeks, with about 43-miles of yarn all while I was sitting back and drinking a Miller Lite.

That is awesome! Great job!

Any good Adobe Illustrator tutorials that are easy to follow for people who have no graphic design experience and are borderline computer illiterate like myself? I'm now learning how to screen print so I need to learn how to design high quality images/logos.

My Adobe cloud school account finally expired and how are ppl paying for this?????
Are you guys paying that 30 a month or that 2 something for the entire year?
Why can't I just buy the entire thing and just be done forever smdh idk how I
Feel about paying that much money for Adobe, but I rly wanna cook up smh
I need to find another student with some downloads left so I can come up on the free accounts

My Adobe cloud school account finally expired and how are ppl  paying for this?????
Either come up with an actual viable business plan that will cover the expense of your design tools...

or get your torrent seeds up

Hey, NTers

Want to get into advertising?

Zambezi, Inc is looking for people to fill the inaugural class for their PAID internship program.

If you're more of the business minded type, they need help with accounts, strategy, and both digital and broadcast production.

If you're more of the creative minded type, they're looking for art directors and copywriters.

If you're more of the health and nursing type, stop reading this **** and move along. This won't be of any interest to you.

They're currently located in Venice Beach, but they're looking to move offices to Downtown Culver City soon.

http://zambezi-la.com/jobs/2016-pilot-internship-program/

If i showed u guys my resume and my cv(resume and portfolio together) would yall be able to see if it's strong enough?

I hate my job now and i need something in my career already

^ post it, man. Always down to help someone just starting out. This is a tough field to make a living in.

Either come up with an actual viable business plan that will cover the expense of your design tools...

I understand what he's saying, why can't he purchase the suite for an outrageous one time price like you use to be able to for like $700 and own the software versus only being able to have the creative cloud. I dislike it as well but the facts are that's how pretty much a lot of things are going. :x

Good stuff, man, a few quick thoughts:

- For your resume, I'd cut down on the amount of fonts you're using. Stick with maybe two, three max, but even that's pushing it (IMO).
- For the portfolio, I'm a bit distracted by the backgrounds. I know you're trying to show how your work can be applied, but I'd like to see your pieces on a plain backdrop, with maybe those applications as thumbnails, or something along those lines. All I'm saying is, you want your work to be the hero.

I understand what he's saying, why can't he purchase the suite for an outrageous one time price like you use to be able to for like $700 and own the software versus only being able to have the creative cloud. I dislike it as well but the facts are that's how pretty much a lot of things are going. :x
it curbs piracy and they continue to get a steady stream of bread outta you longterm vs a 1time fixed rate purchase. cs6 4life!!!!

If i showed u guys my resume and my cv(resume and portfolio together) would yall be able to see if it's strong enough?

I hate my job now and i need something in my career already

First off, your resume looks professional, but it's boring. You're a designer not an accountant—utilize a grid, swiss design, illustration, iconography, something.

If I was hiring a designer, I would pass up on your book. Not trying to be mean, but there's no life in your produced projects. The most interesting thing in your CV was the Travel magazines you did while in school.

I'd be more interested in book with constant design exploration pieces that were self started than a couple of postcards that were produced.

Design should be fun. You can tell if a designer was truly invested in a project. Your work looks like work. It looks like you weren't enjoying the process.

A few pages back (and on the front page) there are links to designers that are doing well for themselves. The common thing about them is that they're always making their own work that reflects them as a designer.

Sorry if the feedback was harsh, but sometimes it has to come that way.

Piggy backing off one true soul said

- Your resume needs some character. It doesn't have to be all blown out, but do something with it other than just listing experience and where you went to school.

- For the work, show the process of how you got to your final designs. It will show that you're a capable thinker and problem solver through trial and error. A lot of the projects I have in my portfolio and stuff I did on the side are things I wanted to do. Design should always be fun for you.

- Its cool how you showed your work in an environment but I can't even read what each piece says. Differentiate in how you show each project whether its a close up of a certain part of the project or a spread of the entire thing.

Were designers, we look for the littlest details in piece of each work.

Thanks yall

I could fix up my experience section into a different type of layout

And for some of my work i can focus on specific areas and not just focus on how it looks on the street or whatever

Do you guys think that having gaps on my work experience hurts? I mean. I've been working for the past few years. I just didn't put anything there that wasnt graphic design cause i feel like it'll take away

Last edited:
Honestly, if there is a gap in work experience, it doesn't matter. Your portfolio does.

For better experience, don't create a Google Drive. Set up an actual website.

Honestly, if there is a gap in work experience, it doesn't matter. Your portfolio does.

For better experience, don't create a Google Drive. Set up an actual website.

Cool thanks. I only have my resume on there just to have a direct link to it to show you guys

Back
Top Bottom